Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Those late night munchies...

I semi blew it last night, I was so thrilled that I cut my calories back, and did 75 minutes of exercise then I stayed up late and got the munchies. I had some Triscuits and a Lean Cuisine meal so it was only like 200 cal. but still it was too late. Then I couldn't sleep and stayed up until 2 pm and I'm beat today. I've been working out at night late sometimes after I put my little boy to bed, I'm a single mom. Is there anything I could eat after these late night workouts?

I'm trying to do 30 min cardio in front of the tv with him awake even and another 20 min of weights three times a week. Plus I do some yoga to help me relax. I read that weight lifters like to have protein after working out, I'm wondering about a late night protein snack or shake, or something... Today it looks like I'll only be at 1000 cal. after a light dinner so I can afford some more... Charts say I should be at 1400-1500 cal for day as I'm 5'9 and am 178 or so right now. Aiming at getting down to 145-150 again but I don't want to blow it after working out.

Is late night snacking completely blowing it?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

after working out if you are hungry, i'd recommend something with a bit of protein. If I get hungry at night, I just go to bed. Actually last night I was getting hungry at about 10pm, I ignored it and it went away. I ended up going to bed at midnight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #3  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I would make a list of things that you have determined are okay to eat and that are lower on calories. 200 calories wasn't TOO bad, especially for "screwing up" I don't think you really screwed up. If you're working out a lot, I second the protein bit. I like making "potato chips" at night...fills me up and they're just a veggie. So when you have a list of things you can have...then you can pick something from it if you get hungry. Plain yoghurt with some fruit in it and a little granola is really good.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #4  

I'm just getting started at calorie counting, I've never done it before actually - made it through my 20s tall and thin, it caught up with me in my 30s and two years ago exercise worked to get it off - and a semi south beach diet. Now I want to lose it for good and quit the bad habits, I can see my night time eating was horrible - but 200 cal isn't that bad - before I was drinking wine at night, sometimes 2-4 glasses, that was BAD. Now I'm doing 1/2 cup of wine with a meal only.

So on the list of night munchies so far:

Celery, cauli, other vegies that crunch, with light ranch (but even the ranch dressing ads some calories, what's better then light ranch?)
yogurt, fruit and granola
The 100 cal packs of popcorn and an apple, is that ok? I love popcorn at night and just discovered these new packages
Protein, what's a good idea for protein at night? Cottage cheese and turkey or something like that?
How about the protein drinks right after my workout? I've been working out fairly intense actually especially the weights, fast at night

Bought a new scale today, it's digital, I haven't been losing weight the past few weeks so obviously I have to count calories, I was eating more then I thought now that I'm counting obsessively. But I have been weight training hard so it might be a few lbs of muscle, a good thing.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Protein shakes are a good option unless you really want something to munch on. You could choose something like a turkey rollup or something like that. I guess for me, I have no desire to eat late (although that did not stop me from gaining weight), so I drink protein shakes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #6  
I DO have a BellyButton!

I suggest Hummus as a dip with veggies. I make my own and I LOVE it. It's a lot healthier than ranch dressing and it adds protein!

I get munchies at night. I also like to make Jello early in the day with fruit in it...that way I get my fruit and a special treat..you can even top it with FF cool whip.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Fat free yogurt is a good protein option for the evening.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5 4'

While probably not gr8 I go for plain microwave popcorn with just a sprinke of sea salt. It make me drink heaps of water which is a good thing except for having to climb out of bed in the middle of the night...
Patty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #9  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post

So on the list of night munchies so far:

Celery, cauli, other vegies that crunch, with light ranch (but even the ranch dressing ads some calories, what's better then light ranch?)
You guys may think I am crazy but broccoli or celery in a good, fresh salsa (read: found in the deli cold not on the shelf) is fantastic. I though my friend was crazy and she made me try a bite as I was pleasantly surprised!! For a great salsa, I LOVE Rojo's Fire Roasted. Mmmmmm! Is excellent on salads with chicken, too!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #10  

What is hummus anyways? Does it come in flavors, what brand is good? I've never even tried it. I know last night even 2 T of lite ranch was added calories and likely I had more like 6 T. Yikes
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #11  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Usually you can find a prepackaged hummus in the deli cold case of your grocery store but I like to make my own. Ingredients as follows for a plain hummus (most popular):

Chick peas
Olive oil (just a tad)
lemon juice
fresh parsley
salt and pepper

Optional add ins: Roasted Red Peppers packed in water, chili peppers, cilantro

There are a lot more options out there for stuff to add in. Put all the stuff in a food processor and it's a pretty cheap dip and so addictive, but that's alright cause it's good for you! MMMMM...I think I'm gonna go make me some...if I can fix the can opener
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #12  
Mel

If you are doing your weight workout at night, you should eat! Try saving some calories for after your workout (and 1000 is pretty low for starting out at your height and weight...you mentioned elsewhere that you were pretty athletic so I'm guessing you're carrying some musce too ). A protein shake with a fast acting carb (some fruit) would be great or cottage cheese and strawberries, cottage cheese and yogurt and blueberries, turkey in a low carb whole wheat tortilla, etc. Yogurt alone or with fruit really doesn't have enough protein in it to count as a post-workout protein.

I do my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and I find if I go to bed really hungry, I just can't get through a cardio session. I have about 3 tablespoons of fat free cottage cheese mixed with 1/2-12 cup of fat free vanilla yogurt abd sometimes a few berries thrown on top. For around 150 calories I get protein, a healthy carb, and enough fuel to make it through a high intensity elliptical session. I do my weights during my lunch hour, then race back and eat at my desk. The whole point is to burn the fat and feed the muscles

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
What is hummus anyways? Does it come in flavors, what brand is good?

If you have a "Trader Joe's" around you, they have several good ones that are pretty authentic and natural. Otherwise, I say make your own or find a Mediterranean eatery/deli!

Hummus is a blend of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), tahini (sesame seed "butter"), lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and add salt to taste. Often, cumin and parsley are also used. You can add any spice blend you like (savory works best). You simply process/puree it all in a processor with a bit of water or vegetable broth to thin as needed.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #14  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I second the Trader Joe's. Their garlic hummus is yummy.

If you buy from a more traditional grocery, please read the label. I sent my hubby to get some last year, thinking, "Hey, it's hummus. No need to read the label." He got a leading national brand. I took one bite and just about gagged..it was sweet! Sure enough, high fructose corn syrup. I could not freakin' believe it.

A string cheese stick also is good at night after a work out. Pria bars are only 110 is cals and have protein.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #15  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
If you have a "Trader Joe's" around you, they have several good ones that are pretty authentic and natural. Otherwise, I say make your own or find a Mediterranean eatery/deli!

Hummus is a blend of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), tahini (sesame seed "butter"), lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and add salt to taste. Often, cumin and parsley are also used. You can add any spice blend you like (savory works best). You simply process/puree it all in a processor with a bit of water or vegetable broth to thin as needed.

Actually Soul Bliss...TRUE mediteranean Hummus does NOT have Tahini in it. We Americans or converted mediteraneans use Tahini. You don't have to use it as it adds calories because it has sesame oils in it. Traders Joes has some really good hummus...they have a 4 layer one that I adore!