Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/156/136

Height: 5'7"

Smile Fake Out Indulgences

Hi everyone! This is my first post, although I've been lurking for, well, longer than I care to admit. I thought it would be fun to describe the dishes we make that seem like a high-fat high-calorie indulgence...but aren't!

Earlier this week I made a Southwestern Turkey Ragout that I amped up with lots of added veggies. Tonight I took a whole grain flax tortilla (from TJ's). I cut it up into triangles and baked at about 400 until browned and crispy (maybe 5-7 minutes). I let them cool a bit, then topped with a spoonful of the turkey ragout then sprinkled lightly with TJ's reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend. Nuked for about 45 seconds to melt the cheese and heat the turkey, then topped each "nacho" with a small dollop of TJ's fat-free Greek yogurt (yes, this meal was brought to you by TJ's ). Yummy!

So what are your fake out dishes?
KKinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Im absoulety loving this apple with cinnamon, Apple 55 calories, Cinnamon 15 calories. I LOVE tHEM!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm a huge fan of those egg breakfast sandwiches, I used to make them all the time on bagels with extra cheese, bacon and sometimes cream cheese too. Now I use a whole grain english muffin, fry the egg in FF cooking spray (white only, no yolk!), top with a slice of 2% low fat cheese and hotsauce, sometimes I'll add a slice or 2 of low fat ham lunch meat. For some reason I feel like I'm eating something sinful, maybe it's because of the cheese and frying but it only comes to about 200 calories (or 230 with ham).

Another treat that I don't cook but I love is fudgesicles! They always taste so rich and creamy but are fat free with only 40 calories!

I also make this broccoli casserole with fresh broccoli sprinkled with italian style breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and a small amount of low fat shredded cheese. It tastes like the broccoli au gratin my mom used to make but without the creamy sauce, it still has all the flavor though! (if you make this be sure to cook the broccoli before putting it in the oven with the rest of the stuff. I learned the hard way that all that cream sauce is what cooked the broccoli in the oven! lol)
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher View Post
I'm a huge fan of those egg breakfast sandwiches, I used to make them all the time on bagels with extra cheese, bacon and sometimes cream cheese too. Now I use a whole grain english muffin, fry the egg in FF cooking spray (white only, no yolk!), top with a slice of 2% low fat cheese and hotsauce, sometimes I'll add a slice or 2 of low fat ham lunch meat. For some reason I feel like I'm eating something sinful, maybe it's because of the cheese and frying but it only comes to about 200 calories (or 230 with ham).
Mmmmmm that sounds so yummy. I am tempted to head out to the grocery store before it closes and get some English Muffins!! Are you SUUUURE it only 200-230 calories???? YUM!!!
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #5  
LLV

I make a "mock" Big Mac.

I use a soy/veggie burger (just one, not two like McDonald's uses) and put it on a light bun with a slice of cheddar-flavored soy cheese, a tablespoon of light thousand island dressing, shredded lettuce and chopped onions. Sometimes I use pickles but only if I'm in the mood for them.

Not as good as the real thing, but it satisfies a little of that Big Mac Attack craving.

Gosh, there's so many. I've taken countless favorite recipes and turned them into lower calorie/lower fat versions of the original.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #6  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

pad thai.....

I make the sauce with heinz 1 carb ketchup, brown sugar splenda, oyster sauce, garlic and chili paste and a little water......

in the wok I "fry" ( I oil the pan lightly then use chicken broth to saute) slivered breast of chicken and add veggies (bok choy, green onion, shredded carrot, bean sprouts and broccoli) then add the sauce and tofu shirataki noodles....and 1 scrambled egg....

tastes almost like the real thing!
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #7  
returning to myself

oh...here's another one...

stuffed peppers...I love them...

I use really lowfat ground turkey and spice as usual (garlic, salt, pepper, dried basil) and instead of mixing with rice I take a bunch of cauliflower florets and shred them in the food processor.....then I put the shredded cauliflower in a bowl and nuke for about 70 secs....I use that for my "rice"..

I mix the ground meat with the "rice" ....stuff the peppers and bake in tomato sauce for about an hour...I serve them with mashed potato/turnip/cauliflower.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhere View Post
oh...here's another one...

stuffed peppers...I love them...

I use really lowfat ground turkey and spice as usual (garlic, salt, pepper, dried basil) and instead of mixing with rice I take a bunch of cauliflower florets and shred them in the food processor.....then I put the shredded cauliflower in a bowl and nuke for about 70 secs....I use that for my "rice"..

I mix the ground meat with the "rice" ....stuff the peppers and bake in tomato sauce for about an hour...I serve them with mashed potato/turnip/cauliflower.
Mmm, I love mashed cauliflower. Your peppers sound good!

I've become a master at taking an otherwise fattening or calorie-dense dish and turning it into low fat/low calorie. I especially love trying to copy fast food. Like my "mock" Big Mac and foods from other fast food places, like Taco Bell. So if anyone has any fast food dishes they've 're-created' at home, I'd love to hear about it!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

When I'm making something that uses ground beef I normally mix it with 50/50 with fake "ground beef". I use the meal starters from morningstar farms. It works really well in this like pasta, stuffed green peppers, and burritos.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #10  
returning to myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
Mmm, I love mashed cauliflower. Your peppers sound good!

I've become a master at taking an otherwise fattening or calorie-dense dish and turning it into low fat/low calorie. I especially love trying to copy fast food. Like my "mock" Big Mac and foods from other fast food places, like Taco Bell. So if anyone has any fast food dishes they've 're-created' at home, I'd love to hear about it!
I do make "enchiritos"

cooked and seasoned ground turkey, fat free refried beans, and soy cheese (I use galaxy brand veggie slices cheddar flavor) low carb tortillas, diced onion and bottled taco sauce...easy! you can even buy Taco Bell taco sauce in the grocery.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220+/174.2/140

Quote:
pad thai.....

I make the sauce with heinz 1 carb ketchup, brown sugar splenda, oyster sauce, garlic and chili paste and a little water......

in the wok I "fry" ( I oil the pan lightly then use chicken broth to saute) slivered breast of chicken and add veggies (bok choy, green onion, shredded carrot, bean sprouts and broccoli) then add the sauce and tofu shirataki noodles....and 1 scrambled egg....

tastes almost like the real thing!
I've never liked fast food, but I do miss my Thai food! I'll have to try making that at home...
Anna829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
(I use galaxy brand veggie slices cheddar flavor)
Yep, that's what I use

Thanks for the idea!