Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

Default Hypothyroid and need some hope!

I was diagnosed hypothyroid about 13 years ago after gaining about 50 lbs. I was not eating a lot my metabolism had just shut down. I tried and tried to lose weight but just couldn't until I took a job as a waitress and worked double shifts and didn't have a car so I had to walk everywhere. I lost all the weight. Then I quit working and gained all the weight back and I was eating maybe 700 calories a day. Got another job. Walked to work, lost the weight. Got pregnant, quit work, after I had my son I gained all the weight back. Got another very physical job an a horse farm and worked out with weights and lost all the weight. I lost my job in October and have gained 47 lbs back.

I am so frustrated by this! I have tried diet after diet. I even did Body For Life and walked and hour a day but it just wasn't enough exercise for me to lose. I am just starting to educate my self on Hyprthyroid options and why I may not be losing weight. But I am so discouraged with my numerous failures to diet. I need some hope!

Is anyone Hypothyroid and has lost weight? What meds are you on? I am on levothyroxine but I made an appointment to see my doctor because I know my meds are not working. I just gained 10 lbs in two weeks! I am going to ask hime to put me on Armour. Is anyone having success with it? What exercise do you do and what weight loss program are you on?

I really need some hope here!
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Audrey! I'm hypo too, lost 122 pounds and have kept it off for five years.

I take Levoxyl like you, so can't help you with the Armour question. Your meds have to be correctly regulated in order to lose weight, without a doubt. So going to see your doctor is the right place to start.

What worked (and still works) for me is calorie counting, lots of protein, and lots of exercise. I lift weights and do daily cardio.

Body For Life may be a little too high in carbs for women and especially those of us who are hypo. Also, a lot of us need more cardio than BFL cardio. I like the BFL 40P/40C/20F ratios. If you liked the plan, maybe you can tweak it so it works better for you?

Please don't lose hope! There are lots of us here who are hypo and have successfully lost weight. It may take a little longer and be a little harder, but it definitely IS possible. You can do it too!

Good luck with your doctor's appointment and be sure to come back and tell us what he says.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #3  

Hi Audrey, I was actually hyperthyroid, but am now hypothyroid, as I had my thyroid radiated twice. I take Synthroid daily.

I am on Medifast, and was also on it last year, when I lost 55lbs. Being hypothyroid made little difference in my weight loss journey. I was just compliant with the Medifast program and took walks at least once a day. I am back on the program this year, due to some family issues and my indiscretions with food, and am losing once more.
Your doctor is the best one to analyze why you are gaining weight. Like you said, maybe a dosage adjustment might be the answer for you. Are you seeing an endocrinologist, thyroid is their field of expertise. I hope you get the problem solved, and I wish you success in meeting your weight loss goals.

Also, forgot to mention that my lab values have been normal, even using Medifast. Just as long as you don't have a soy product within one-two hours of taking your thyroid medication, you are fine.
Joan

Last edited by joanie719; 05-29-2007 at 01:08 PM.
joanie719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #4  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Audrey, I have hypothyroid also. and am taking the same meds as you. I don't feel the medication helps 100% either, I still feel tired and achey and gain weight VERY FAST. I also found out I have celiacs and have to avoid eating grain products, so I decided to try a low carb plan (no grains) and no simple carbs. I also heard that you need to eat more protien if you are hypothyriod(as long as its not from soy). Since switching to a low carb lifestyle I have lost nearly 30 lbs, This is the only thing that has ever helped me. My calories are still between 1200/2000 a day. I also go for a walk a few times a week but not everyday. I like to know how you do if you swich to armour, I have thought about it but never tried it. There is hope it may just be a little harder for you than for some others, you just have to keep trying till you find out what works for you.
Jolene
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Heh, I was about to direct you to Meg's success story, but she's been faster and has actually posted here. So now I don't have much to add, but I sure hope that you will be able to sort out those thyroid issues fast. Meg is right anyway, the first thing is to check with your endocrinologist, because the right medication is the essential first tool in that. (My mother has Hashimoto, and I know that after a few months of medication, her doctor told her "Your weight has stabilized now", which basically was that said meds were working well.)

So good luck, and don't lay down your arms!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

Thank you all for the encouragement. And thank you especially Meg as you are a real inspiration to me. I read your story and when I saw that you were hypo and had lost all that weight I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice. How did you lose so FAST?
I just began South Beach today after reading all the info about avoiding the bad carbs. It seems there are quite a few hypos on the SB board I visit so I am also hounding them for advice.
I really like to workout but right now I just don't have the motivation! I have been on this computer all morning thinking in the back of my head that I really do need to get up and do something but UGHH it's so hard. I keep trying to give myself the Nike pep talk "Just Do It!"
Well I just did 5 minutes on the elliptical. Not much but better than nothing!
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Audrey, I'm also hypothyroid and I've lost 151 lbs so far. So I know it is possible. I do lose faster when I go lower carb than I am currently doing. I also believe that I need to do more exercise than I am currently doing to see my weight loss speed up. Easy for me to say, not so easy to do. Meg is a great inspiration. We have proof that it can be done right there.

I'm taking levothyroxine, and I've never tried Amour, so I'm no help there. Good luck with your weight loss journey. It may be a little more difficult for us, but it's certainly possible.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

I was diagnosed this month as being hypothyroid. I am still trying to get to the correct level of levothyroxine for me as I have only been taking it for 3 weeks now. I still am losing weight though. It will be interesting to see what happens when I am at the correct dosage. My doctor started me on a low dosage and I go back mid June for another blood draw to see where I am at then and adjust accordingly.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #9  

Hi!! IŽm hypothyroid too!
I live in Argentina and I take Eutirox (levothyroxine), as I read the post I noticed nobody there takes it too, but anyways, I take 125 mg daily.
Once my doctor changed my med to evothyroxine and after a month I felt horrible and it didnŽt work at all, so maybe u should go to ur dr. I donŽt know if Eutirox exists there but it works great for me, my sister, my mom, my grandmother and 2 of my aunts (yeah weŽre all hypothiroid)

I know that been hypothiroid makes it more difficult 4 u to lose weight but u can do it anyways, maybe youŽll take longer, maybe youŽll have to work harder but it will work, so just eat right and exercise.
IŽve lost 10 kgs already (it doesnŽt show in my signature bcause i just joined this site yesterday)

Sorry for my not too good english!
agustinaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I'm not hypothyroid, but I have a friend of mine who is. Have you tried synthyroid? It seems to be working very well for her. She's lost 25 pounds on it and now looks so trim and fit that you'd never, ever guess she had hypothyroid at all.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #11  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Hi Audrey, I am an Audri too. I am hypo, was on synthroid for several years. I weaned myself off of it when we lost our health insurance. The medicine is inexpensive but the the blood work was killing me financially. I am not at dangerous levels without medicine, just was helping my monthly cycle to regulate. I think the worst part of not being treated is hair loss.

I think what helps me the most is to eat a balanced diet. Too much of anything would set me back. I have to try and get all food groups in. Changing excersice around too. Measuring I think weas the most important for me. It is so easy to fool yourself and a extra servings will do dmg real quick. Good luck finding something that works for you. I am back on program and hope I can be sucessful too.
flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #12  

Untreated hypothyroidism can result is pretty serious health problems down the line. Quitting your medicine was not the best choice. I only have to have blood work done twice a year. Are there no clinics in your area with reduced rates. Seems you could save a few dollars a month to protect your health.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote