Old 05-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #1  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Question Does anyone feel that they are obsessing about what to eat and what not to eat?

I am getting a little crazy when it comes to food, mabye this is because I have only been counting calories for a few weeks, the problem is not what to eat and calories , it's what I can't eat because it has too much calories. For example I was in Walmart yesterday, my Dd picked up a box of drumsticks for her and her brother, and my husband, so I tried to look for something better. I found a single serving of Pistachio Gelato, and picked it up and started reading the label, and saw it had to much calories for one serving so I put it back, and I did this for a couple of foods, I kind of felt deprived after I left walmart.
Does this sound crazy? Any suggestions, or am I just adjusting to what is good for me and what is not?
I usually try and eat one thing on the weekend, for a treat( bought some Samosas, but they were horrible, so I through them out after having two bites, so I will probably look for something else to treat myself with), so I do have a treat once in a while( maybe dark chocolate, or something in small quanities). I just want to be able to shop and not feel abnormal. tia Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #2  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

sEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE IS GREAT WALLY WORLD HAS THE 100 calorie bar.....just watch how much you eat, i never buy whole cakes or whole pies. if i want one that bad i get up get dressed and buy one slice..... I am lazy. grapefruit rules!!!!!
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well, I kinda hear you. But, then again..... I now look at "treat"ing myself in a different light. If I am honestly going to "treat" myself, well the very best treat I can give myself is to stay on plan. I know that doesn't help you very much, but that's just MY take on it. It's not for everyone, we all have different ways of looking at things and must find what works for ourselves. I know (and understand completely) that many people do look forward to a once a week indulgence. Another problem that I have is that once I start, well I just want more. So I really need to avoid "those" types of food.

I do have snacks that I enjoy very much, though I just don't call them "treats". I like the jello sugar free puddings very much, they're 60 calories. I couldn't eat them in the beginning of my journey because I was afraid I would have more then one of them. I do eat them occasionally now. I add in some Fiber One cereal for some added nutrients and crunch. I also enjoy baby carrots and cut up cucumbers with a dollop of hummus. I found some 40 calorie sugar free fudge pops that are VERY good. That is usuallly my evening snack. I like the Danon lite and fit yogurt for 60 calories, also adding in some Fiber One cereal. Strawberries are a delicious snack with a squirt of fat free whipped cream. Blueberries are also quite yummy.

As far as reading labels, wow, it CAN be an eye opening experience. I think it's a great thing though, not abnormal at all. In fact I feel more "normal" then ever reading labels. I think had I been reading labels all along I never would have gotten to be 287 lbs. I can't believe the things I used to eat without as much as giving it a second thought. Now I actually THINK before I shovel something down my mouth. I have to decide if it's indeed "worth it" or not. It's that awareness that will help us to lose the weight and then of course keep it off.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

You know, the first 30 lbs or so, I felt that way too. I really felt deprived and like something besides my weight was wrong. Now, at 50+ lbs lighter, its such a normal fact of life I no longer think about it. Maybe because the last 20-25 lbs have been slower in coming, but it's just in my head, if something is sweet<unnaturally> and more than 50 cals a serving, I really weigh my options. I'd rather splurge those cals on something REALLY satisfying, weigh/bulk wise than a small square of chocolate. Not to say I dont have those things, I do, but rare, like once a month. I'd rather spend 100 cals on a ginormous spinach salad with a bunch of crunch and cream and various textures and tastes. Its just become much more palatable to me.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

When I read labels, I'm apalled at how much fat, sodium, cals that everything I used to eat without even thinking about it have. Sometimes it is just mind boggling. Especially things I ate that I thought were fairly healthy. Like salads you don't make yourself. Which I did a lot, because I hate making salads and they always taste better to me when I don't have to make them. Yikes - some of them were over 1000 cals. No wonder I thought they tasted better. I often have to put things back and search for a better choice. I don't think of that as obsessing tho. I'm just being more aware, is what I tell myself.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't know, do I obsess over boots I want to buy? I go to the shoe store, pick up a nice looking pair of boots and they are 200.00, I can't afford that (or maybe, I can afford it every now and then, but not everyday). Do I get all discouraged that I can never have shoes again? Maybe I buy a pretty pair of summer sandals for 30 bucks instead, it fits my budget.

There are a lot of cold treat novelties that are "affordable" when on a calorie budget. They are usually really tasty too. Low cal fudge bars are good, there are some really good frozen fruit juice bars too (I had one last week that was coconut dipped in a very thin coating of dark chocolate - 90 calories, delicious!). Plain old frozen fruit (frozen dark cherries, frozen mango) is also really really good.

I WANT 200.00 boots everyday, but I can't afford 200.00 boots everyday. Is it fair? Am I deprived? Why do I look at my calorie budget differently than my regular dollar budget?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Personally,
I enjoy reading labels and knowing what is in my foods and what not. I don't feel deprived because if I really wanted something, I could have it. Would it make me feel like crap? Possibly I either have the choice to restrict my calories and continue my weight loss or loosen up my restrictions and maintain my weight loss. Even if I am a bit more free with the foods I eat, I want to eat healthy foods that make me feel good rather than crap foods.

I still enjoy what I eat though but what I eat has to fall within certain guidelines for me right now. I want to lose weight and I want to help my body attain that goal so I make the choice to restrict my eating. Anyway, I've had enough treats and desserts to last me a life time
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Awesome analogy Glory. I like that! I'll have to remember that about the $200 boots.
I was just going to reply that yes, I totally obsess over what I eat. I feel like it is just a part of reality right now, and maybe forever! I don't think of it as a bad thing, though. Actually, I was at a baseball tournament this weekend and I was watching what people ate and thinking about what I would have had last year at this time, etc. It was actually much more pleasant having water instead of pop and not eating the overpriced snacks and lunches they have there! Liberating!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I've also felt like you too and it is so hard when you are still buying the less healthy foods for your family and you want some too. If you can, work on changing their habits too so you're not feeling left out. I know in times fast I've felt left out and deprived and would sulk and/or eventually give in to eating the not so healthy foods and then ending up binging and going so off plan and gaining weight.

Now I'm more in line with Nelie. I will weigh my options and sometimes it's worth it for me to eat the higher calorie food and other times I would rather eat something healthier and not mess with having to eat less for my other meals. HTH.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I don't feel you're obsessing too much. For me, obsessing too much is when you're killing yourself over two great food choices.

However, it sounds like you might need some suggestions for sweet treats that don't feel like you're missing out:
* Fat-free fudgesicles
* SF Popsicles
* 100-calorie pack of the hostess cupcakes
* SF jell-o pudding packs
* Dark chocolate minis (I pick ghirardelli squares)

The key is to find something you enjoy that becomes a treat for you.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote