Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Eating during class ???

I know there are a lot of other students (or recent grads) around here so I thought I would pose a question.

I’m a law student and this summer I have a class that runs from 1 – 4:40. Normally I’m use to eating a snack at some point during that time period, especially since it is summer and I’ve been sleeping in so I normally have a late breakfast/lunch (10 or 11ish), snack (2 or 3 ish) and then dinner (5 or 6ish) and then a couple of snacks in the evening. I’m wondering 2 questions: (1) do you think it is ok to eat a snack during class? And (2) what do you think are class appropriate snacks (I don’t want anything that would distract the people around be because of sent)? I’m thinking veggies already but looking for other suggestions. I’m not sure how the break situation is going to work otherwise I would plan to eat then.

Thanks for the help
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

Height: 5'5"

I am not in school.. but a few things that come to mind are sunflower seeds (without the shell or whatever it is), grapes, and small cheese cubes. I wouldn't try to do anything loud/crunchy.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

string cheese, applesauce, banana... sometimes I have to eat (but many of my classes are in recording studios, computer labs, and piano rooms which are big no-no's). I usually have a 2 and a half hour class and we usually get a break and many folks would wander back in with vending machine food.

I find it completely rude when someone tries to open a bag of chips in the middle of the class, so my rule of thumb is if you have to open something during a lecture, make sure it's quiet (not a problem if you chew with your mouth closed, but college students blow my mind sometimes ) and doesn't stink up the room.

Last edited by junebug41; 05-23-2007 at 02:04 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I used to get so mad sometimes because I would be STARVING when I was in class (because I never woke up early enough to eat or I just got off work), and there would be people eating cookies, candy, drinking pop, etc. And there I would be, just drooling, knowing that when I got home, there'd be a comforting salad waiting for me. Excuse the irrelevant rant, but if I couldn't take the hunger anymore, during break, I'd get a Nutrigrain bar and eat it during break. It's very annoying to both other students and the professor to be crunching loudy or rattling wrappers. I used to hate that.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

There'll probably be a break in the middle of the class (at least, I know very few teachers who wouldn't let the students have one, if only because *themselves* need it as well), so maybe it won't be such a problem in the end? But indeed, if there isn't, something that doesn't smell too much, doesn't entail noisy unwrapping, and doesn't make noise when chewed... Hmm, now that's a good question... Bananas are discreet enough, I think? (But the scent... hehe...)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I eat in class. Most teachers are pretty cool with it. I would just ask your teacher to see if it's ok.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

This reminds me of my physics prof from last year, Prof. Czajkowski. He went on a rant at the beginning of the year (in his super-thick Polish accent), saying that under no circumstances was anyone to eat anything in a crinkly wrapper. But what really got me was how he went on and on about oranges. If anyone ate oranges, they'd be kicked out immediately, because the peel is messy and the smell is distracting to him. I guess you had to be there, but it was rather comical
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #8  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by momerath View Post
This reminds me of my physics prof from last year, Prof. Czajkowski. He went on a rant at the beginning of the year (in his super-thick Polish accent), saying that under no circumstances was anyone to eat anything in a crinkly wrapper. But what really got me was how he went on and on about oranges. If anyone ate oranges, they'd be kicked out immediately, because the peel is messy and the smell is distracting to him. I guess you had to be there, but it was rather comical

That's funny because I was just about to suggest oranges! :P Last semester I had a once a week 3 hour long seminar on Latin American women and my professor brought us food every week for our 10 minute break- and it always included Clementines! Clementines are better than regular oranges, imo, because the peels come off really easily and it's not near as messy.

I would suggest against bananas though, college boys are dirty.

I brought a wide variety of stuff to classes last year:
-cheese cubes
-baby carrots
-soy yogurt
-sugarfree fruit bars (we had great ones in my college convenience store that had no grains or sugar- just fruit all mixed together)
-dry apricots
-craisins
-strips of bell peppers

I also always had a huge bottle of water to last me through my classes. I'd drink at least a full Dasani bottle per class. That helps with a lot of the hunger and cravings.
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm glad that I'm not the only with concerns about eating in class. I know in the first class he only gave us a 5 minute break which is about enough time to go to the rest room and refill my water bottle. I normally don't eat in class because I'm too busy taking notes that is why I was asking for advice. I really didn't want to be that person who was distracting the people around me. Thanks for the suggestions!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Sit in the back and on a protein bar of some sort. You can hold it with one hand and write with the other.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #11  
Chunky Dunker

S/C/G: 252.8/tick-tick-tickerrrr/215

Height: 5'6"

Kashi Heart to Heart cereal-- I keep it in my desk and eat it all day long-- it's so gooood! Just a ziplock of it-- it has protien, fiber, crunch (but not too loud!) and is sweet !
WakeMeForSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

A few nuts are a great way to stave off hunger and they are quick to eat with no mess. I like apples too. I wouldn't go for anything loud or smelly. But other than that, you are probably okay.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: h206/s190/ticker/g145

Height: 5'5

i would suggest a protien shake or bar. maybe nuts or string cheese if you want a light snack. or even those yogurts that you can drink.
50lbs2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:34 AM   #14  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No wrapper (just a ziploc bag), no crunchy sound, not stinky, tasty and nutritious if you make it with good ingredients...the perfect law school snack!
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote