Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #1  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Default Body for Life Question

Hello All,

Used to be a regular poster on this board but took a break and now I'm back.

I'm considering doing body for life. I consider myself at intermediate level when it comes to my fitness. Since 2004 I've lost 26 lbs but have still got a long way to go, I'd like to lose another 40lbs ideally. (I'm 5ft 4 and 180 lbs).

The BFL book I am reading seems aimed at people who are at the start of their weight loss/get fit journey. I consider myself to be about a quarter of the way there. I can't think of a good reason why BFL shouldn't work for me if I stick to the plan.

With regard to the weights section, the book suggests you start out at 10lb dumb bells, for example, and increase weight as you go on. I use 12lb and 15lb db's for a lot of my current exercises, (10lb feels too easy) would it be a good idea to continue using my weight or should I start at BFL weight of 10lb? I'm thinking I should continue with what I'm using.

I'd like some opinions please on the weights I should be starting out with and any stories of people who've followed BFL with success or not. Any advice at all really would be great.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #2  
Mel

Are you looking at the original Bill Phillips BFL book? I gave mine away, so am going from memory here...a fading one!
I really don't think he specified any starting weights. That's the most time consuming part of the first couple of workouts- trying to figure out the weight you need to use to fail at 12 reps, then 10, then 8, etc. If you have been using 12 or 15 pound weights, unless you only do 8 rep sets, don't go back to lighter weights. You may need the lighter weight for the last superset, but don't take a big step backwards! The point of the workouts is to lift each set to failure at whatever weight that may be for you.

I started BFL after I had reached my goal weight. I'd been lifting, but doing full body circuits. I didn't lose any weight during my first 12 week challenge, but I did lower my body fat considerably and lost 2 pants sizes with no change on the scale.

If you are already working out and used to doing both cardio and weights, you may find that BFL style cardio isn't enough. I found that I needed to do more cardio and eat less carbs. The workouts are a great way to get back into lifting or continue.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #3  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Hi Mel,

I bought the BFL for Women book on a whim months ago. It's been sitting on my book case ever since so I thought I might aswell put it to some use.

Quote:
If you are already working out and used to doing both cardio and weights, you may find that BFL style cardio isn't enough. I found that I needed to do more cardio and eat less carbs. The workouts are a great way to get back into lifting or continue.
Hrm, really? I've been lacking in motivation a lot lately and thought that a challenge like BFL might get me back into the swing of things. The book recommends at least 30 mins of cardio every other day with Sunday's off. I was planning on doing 45 mins on cardio days.

I might still give it a try. I'm ok with scales not moving much as long as I'm losing inches.

On another note, as I type this, I'm eating breakfast and for the first time put protein powder into my oatmeal. The jury is still out as to whether I like it or not, the consistency is.....different .
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #4  
You Will Get There

S/C/G: 316/316/200

Height: 5'7"

I utilized Body For Life in 2001, I lost 45 pounds and inches. I gained all of it back to stressful situations that I had allowed to get the best of me. Over the last few years I have continued to do strength training exercises and have maintained muscle form. Now I am back using BFL and I know that it is going to take a while for me to see results.
erricah is offline   Reply With Quote