Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Default Protien Powder

Hello all,

Well I have been doing really well getting back in the groove of eating healthy. I have been trying to get creative with my food choices. I think this has been my downfall in the past. I end up getting in a rut, then i just cant take the same ol' same ol' another day.

So while i have made some new and wonderful discoveries, Laughing Cow cheese, Special K protien plus cereal, hummus, pitas, etc. I have seen a lot of you write about, is it, whey protien or protien powder? I am very intimidated by this stuff. When i start thinking of protien powders, i think Arnold Schwartsanager and body building, not like going to the gym body building, Arnold body building. I know my thinking is outdated and ignorant. I just dont know how to even buy the stuff or what to do with it and do i even need it?

I know a lot of people put it in their smoothies and what not. Is it mainly used to make a low protien food a high protien food? To give the food a little more staying power? Can you just throw it in anything, like oatmeal for example?

Sorry this is so long, i just want to make sure i understand when to use it, why i would use it, and do you all recommend a calorie counter to use it?

thanks,
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, I'm a recent protein powder convert. I use it for a couple reasons:

1) to get more protein in my diet (OK, that one is sort of obvious). For satiety, and because I am weight training, I set a goal of 100 grams or more per day. The protein powder helps me acheive it.

2) it is chocolate I can feel good about. I use Designer Whey chocolate flavor and it kills a chocolate craving (which I tend to get in the afternoons) easily, especially if I add a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (add'l 15 calories) into the mix. I'm telling you, a little vanilla soy milk, some ice, and its a guilt-free chocolate milkshake.

3) it provides a vehicle for me to get more calcium (I have trouble hitting my calcium goals...since I make my protein smoothies with light vanilla soy milk, I'm hitting my calcium targets regularly, which makes me happy).

4) it provides an easy way to get more fiber - if I am low for the day, I throw in a cup of berries or a tablespoon of psyllium into the smoothie, upping the fiber and with the berries, the nutrients, the whole thing packs in.

the most important reason, though, has been

5) it improves my workout stamina. I drink it around 5:00 or so and end up at the gym at 6:30. I don't know if it is the extra protein or something else, but I just -feel- stronger and can go extra time/distance/resistance with it. I can tell a difference when I drink vs. don't drink one.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Amanda, does the protein shake in the afternoon help you to feel full? I become starved between 2 (when I eat lunch) and 8 (when I eat dinner), and I snack endlessly. Does the protein powder add more substance to what is otherwise a glass of milk? (I'm also curious because I am having a hard time hitting over 100g of protein a day, even on a 2000 calorie diet.)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

YES - the protein shake does, in fact, help a lot with fullness. And I blend mine with ice, making it more "smoothie" than "glass of milk" - plus it helps dissolve the powder better anyway to mix in a blender.

My schedule is about the same as yours...2pm lunch, 8pm dinner, with the gym in between - I have my protein shake around 5 and rarely need anything else until dinner. And getting to have a chocolate milkshake every day doesn't hurt either.

I never regularly topped 100g of protein a day until I added in the shakes. And I can adjust them depending on my cals I still have available and vitamins I'm short on that day - half a banana, or some strawberries, or just the plain shake...add some psyllium for fiber, or if I have the room and want a little treat, add 2 tbsp cool-whip type product on top. Its flexible and really helps me in meeting my goals.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Well i think i am going to have to give the protein a try. It sounds as good as i thought it would. I always find my protien a little lower than i would like it on most days. Plus, i do love smooothies but i know they come out more carbs than protien....sure they are packed with soy milk, berries, etc, but still, they would be that much better with the protien.

Where do you get yours? I noticed some in walmart the other day, but i cant remember which brand it was.

And Mandalinn, i just wanted to say, you are a wonderful inspiration on here. You always have wonderful advice and ideas. Just wanted you to know your input is SO appreciated. Plus, WOW, way to go on the weight loss. Your success reminds me that i have no excuse, it CAN be done without pills or potions, just good old fashioned hard work. Nice job.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

awww - I'm blushing. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working on it!

I get mine at my local supermarket...but it is a natural-focused one, so I'm not sure if they'd have it at your regular grocery stores. I know there are a lot of people out there on the boards that also use the Designer Whey brand...anyone have any "where to buy" recommendations?

You can always go with Amazon, or a health food store would probably have it.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Thanks for that. I think I'll give it a try. A middle of the afternoon milkshake/smoothie with staying power and variable nutrients sounds just about perfect You are very persuasive.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote