Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

Default Protein Bars likes dislikes? brands?

Just checking to see who I using then and what ones....

Someone in my support group brought in ones called POWER CRUNCH

They come in several flavors and they are the lightest best tasting ones I have ever had! My favorite flavors are fudge cover peanut butter and Peanut butter creame The are like sugar wafer cookies and light, The dont fell like a brick in you belly.

I use to eat the south beach ones but found that the all taste the same. 3 weeks after surgery I would start puking from the smell of protein shakes. I tried to switch types of powdered potien and could not do it. So I used these as part of my suppliment for protein I switched as soon as I tasted these. I use protein bars usually for breakfast and late afternoon at work now to make sure I get my 60 to 80 grams a day. I really use to be a big meat eater and now I have a very hard time with it. All meats in general are hard now for me.

Last edited by Pazazz; 05-19-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I'm still waiting to find a good tasting protein bar.... but if I had to eat one..it would be atkins.

I buy a premixed protein drink (in a can) from Trader Joes called Worldwide Protein Shake (vanilla creme). Its 21 g protein, 2 g net carbs and only 100 calories. These things have saved me b/c I've tried lots of different mixes / drinks and blech. But what ever you do...don't buy the chocolate, it taste icky. You can also add flavors to the vanilla.... If you have davinci sugar free flavors your all set

Mike, is it that your newly out that your pouch can't handle the meat at this point?

You know... I've heard of WLS people adding spices to babyfood meats or eating it with gravy. That might be an option.

OR....... how about adding protein powder to a sugar free pudding ?

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

Meats are just still very hard for me. I do eat some but I am lucky to eat 3 oz a day before my gut is hurting and it sits like a brick in my stomach for over an hour no matter how much I chew it. I get about 1/3 of the protein a day from bars because I cant do the shakes and mixing it with other foods is not great for me...
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #4  
Finally Committed to ME!

S/C/G: 22/18/6-8

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I love Pure Protein bars... low carb/high protein/great taste.
CarolynFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Have you tried making your own? I've recently been experimenting with oatmeal/protein powder/egg white muffins and they are pretty good but I don't have the recipe quite right yet. I know there are some recipes on the Ladies Who Lift forum concerning home made protein bars.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #6  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

I'm with Carolyn, Pure Protein are the best that I have found. I also like some of the Atkins ones. As far as protein drink, I tried a bunch, but Nectar powder by Syntax is my favorite. Lemon Tea (1 scoop mixed with 3 c. water & 2 servings of Lipton Lemon Iced Tea Mix (Diet Decaf)). Over the counter premixed was EAS Advantage Coffee flavored ones & Vanilla sitting over ice (to thin it) for 30 min or more were okay in a crunch too. As far as meat the first few months after surgery--I went to the deli and asked them to VERY FINELY shave turkey & chicken for me (I said that I needed it to look like mush because I had surgery on my stomach & that was all I could handle) They were very willing to help (as long as it wasn't a real busy time for them) & I could eat it with a baby spoon. Cottage cheese with mushy no sugar added fruit was another favorite & even cottage cheese with tuna. I could never handle the look of baby food. Hope it helps.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Leenie Question about the shake, Does it taste like the Can Ever? That's my problem with Atkins and with EAS
Atkins tastes like the Can And EAS the box. .. Maybe I'm just Wierd
Pazz I say go for Greek Yogurt or Cottage Cheese or maybe some soft scrambled eggs
or string cheese
Laughing cow shouldn't be too hard to digest but not enough Protien
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I like zone perfect bars. Have you ever tried those? the mint and the chocolate coconut crunch are the best. 15 grams of protein.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote