Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

Default Great New Peanut Butter

I love peanut butter and I just found a new brand called Naturally More. I usually eat Jif but I'm always looking for a healthier alternative to my favorite foods. Naturally More is fortified with flaxseed and flaxseed oil (omega 3 fat). It has 11 grams of fat 5 less than Jif, 4 grams of fiber 4 more than Jif and 10 grams of protien 4 more than Jif. It is a little runny but you refridgerate it after opening. And it has honey in it along with the sugar so it has a honey aftertaste whick takes some getting used to if you are not a big honey fan. But the benefits far outway the cons in my book. I got it at Walmart. If you're into trying healthy alternatives af your favorite foods give it a try.
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: BMI:32.1/27.1/24.6

Is it a pain to stir when you first open the jar? That is one reason I quit buying natural PBs - they were a real pain in the butt to stir and get everything mixed back together.

I would love something healthier than the regular brands. I love PB.
MissH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:59 AM   #3  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

My vote goes for a product called Better 'N Peanut Butter This contains only 2.5g of fat (compared to 12g of name brands reduced fat) and only 100 calories per 2 TBSP serving (compared to 200). They sell it at Trader Joes As I mentioned in my blog, PB is one of my major weaknesses, so I googled a better solution. This also comes in a Low Sodium
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Fresno.....you are doing great over 218 pounds lost,
that is amazing.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissH View Post
Is it a pain to stir when you first open the jar? That is one reason I quit buying natural PBs - they were a real pain in the butt to stir and get everything mixed back together.

I just buy the Skippy Natural, don't have to stir it. I rarely eat peanut butter myself, but my 7-year-old son eats quite a bit of it and I wanted him to have the kind without the hydrogenated oils.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

My supermarket has a vat of peanuts attached to a grinder and you can grind your own peanut butter. 100% natural peanuts. And you don't have to stir in the oil before you use it. It's great! They have an almond option, too.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissH View Post

I buy the natural peanut butter (the kind where the ONLY ingredient is peanuts, not even any salt added), and all I do to avoid this problem is dump out the oil on the top when I first open the jar. There's plenty of oil still mixed in to keep it smooth and spreadable, plus you're eliminating a few calories from the jar

I have found, though, that this does NOT work equally well with all brands for some reason. I tried it recently with Smucker's natural pb, and it was baaaad (left the peanut butter almost hard and not even close to spreadable), but when I buy the Nature's Promise brand (I know it's a store brand, but it's also carried in multiple large chain grocery stores, not just one), it always works out great, which is fine by me since Nature's Promise is cheaper than Smucker's .
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214.8/199.8/155

Height: 5'10"

The Smuckers website sells a stirrer-lid that fits on their smaller jars. I imagine it will fit on most pb jars of that size. I buy the big jar, and stirring it doesn't bother me, so I haven't tried it.
KimberCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 AM   #9  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

I too only buy the natural peanut butter...I dump the oil and stir a lttle bit of water...just enough to keep it spreadable....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #10  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Someone mentioned "Better N Peanut Butter" above, I recently picked up some at Trader Joe's last week and was pretty pleased, it is the same consitency as PB and the flavor is good although it's a little sweeter than the regular stuff, which was a little dissapointing because I don't like sweet PB. But all in all I am happy with it and maybe will just get used to it after a bit.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #11  

I got some Better Than Peanut Butter too and while I won't be using it on a pbj samwich, it's too sweet to me, I do heat 2 tbs in the microwave with 1/2 tsp hot pepper paste and curry powder, then I smear it all over air-popped popcorn. When it cools it turns into chewy popcorn ball like clusters.
Tis Nummy!
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #12  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I fix hard natural Pb by popping the jar in the micro for 5 seconds Easy peasy
KO is offline   Reply With Quote