Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Most noticeable loose skin?

I know it varies but I'm kind of curious.

I look at my tummy and my tummy looks the same as it did when I was 360 lbs except it is just a smaller version of its self. It is lumpy and shaped funky but doesn't really look like it has loose skin. I can feel the loose skin though.

My upper arms are somewhat similar. They are a smaller version of their former selves. They are lumpy and droopy and what not. When I raise my hands over my head in the mirror, I can see folds of skin near my arm pit.

My inner thighs are again a smaller version of their former selves, lumpy and all that but if I look closely I can see the folds of loose skin in the upper inner thigh. Also, If I sit down while wearing shorts, I can really see the folds of skin on my inner thighs.

So I don't know what the next 50 lbs in weight loss will bring me. Will my folds of loose skin just keep multiplying? I wonder what will happen to my tummy since it hangs down and isn't smooth but it has always hung down like that. I have noticed somewhat that my tummy actually doesn't hang down as low as it used to, it has raised up somewhat but it still hangs.

Basically, I'm wondering where others noticed most of their loose skin and how the loose skin presented itself throughout your weight loss. Obviously everyone is different
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I lost 100 pounds once, unfortunately i gained it back. But i had terrible loose skin on my tummy and upper thighs. I was going to have surgery to remove it. Mine was so bad my daughter said, "you know fat ******* from austin powers, after he lost weight, your legs look like him". I was mortified, but i decided it was better to look like him AFTER he lost weight than before, ha ha.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Yes, everything was just like it was when I was fat. Only there was not fat to fill out the skin and so it hung and because no amount of "toning" in the world can get rid of extra skin my arms, tummy breasts and thighs would all flap and wobble.

There is even a reduced amount of skin tone on my forearms and calves and back but there is really nothing that can be done about that for me.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

After a 75 lb loss, I have noticeable loose skin on my belly, my inner thighs and right near the armpits. The inner thigh loose skin isn't bad, but the armpit loose skin keeps me out of most sleeveless tops. The stomach isn't that bad, unless I lean over, and then it's pretty heinous looking (like a loose, wrinkled sack of skin). On the POSITIVE, I look fabulous in clothes, I feel great and a little loose skin is worth all the benefits of weight loss.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I have it everywhere -- my stomach has the dreaded "double spare tire," meaing I have a roll above and below my belly button. The top one isn't as bad as the bottom, I think I've heard people refer to it as an apron. It doesn't have a lot of fat left in it (it used to have tons). I have it on my arms too (like Charlotte, I have a little looseness on my forearms too). My thighs aren't too bad -- the inner is a little saggy, but they held up pretty well. I've got a little on the back on my upper knees, and some unsightly sag on my mid back where the bottom on my bra strap is. Oh, and my boobs sag more than my mom's -- who is 49 and nursed 3 kids. And they have tons of loose skin -- when I pull my bra away from them, they have TONS of little wrinkles.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My loose skin has shown up the most in these places, in order:
1. Stomach - obvious, wrinkly, and showed up first
2. Upper Arm/back - less obvious, but has a tendency to "roll" a bit
3. Upper leg - not as wrinkly but there is quite a bit of it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I think my arms and my boobs are the worst now as far as loose skin is concerned. Thighs aren't really a problem. Tummy is a little saggy, but I expected it would be much worse than it is. I definitely do not wear anything sleeveless . I have to wear good support bras. But, I'm happy with my body, even though it's far from perfect. I love how I look in clothes.

Nelie, Congrat's on the 130 lbs. lost, that is awesome.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #8  
Just Me

Oh I don't really mind the loose skin so much but I am a bit fascinated by it. I mean it wrinkles in some places and other places aren't wrinkly at all. I have to say, my boobs are fantastic. I hope they stay that way.

I guess I'm most surprised by my belly. I've always had an apron but now I have a smaller apron but its not wrinkly at all while my upper thighs look like a sharpei.

Oh I guess I should add that it seems a bit odd only because my upper body and torso is where I've lost the most inches. I've lost inches on my legs and thighs but a much smaller percentage. Very odd. I am very curious to see what my body has in store for me in the next few months/years.

Last edited by nelie; 05-16-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I would only offer a guess that because our upper bodies (breasts) and torsos are made to expand and contract as we have our babies, that those areas are particularly adept at shrinking back to a normal size as well.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh my thighs are a sight! It's like a pair of thigh highs that have fallen. I wish I could reach down and pull them up a couple of inches. My stomach has an apron, but it still is not very wrinkly, I guess it still has enough fat in it not to be wrinkly. Arms and back have loose skin, but it's not so noticeable, and I feel comfortable wearing sleeveless tops. Boobs are what I consider typical 40 year old boobs, not exactly perky, but not something that bothers me a lot.

Glory, I leaned over the other day before getting in the shower and saw my stomach for the first time in that position. It pretty much took my breath away (and not in a good way).

All in all though, I'm much much happier with my body than I've been in years. It's certainly not perfect, but with loose skin and all, it's still better than it was 151 lbs ago.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, there are many mommies whose tummies do not shrink back. Even if all of the weight is lost, there is still usually extra skin to deal with.

I am preparing myself to have a tummy tuck all over again once my childbearing years are through.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:16 AM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm holding off on any possible tummy tuck until post kids...just seems to not be worth it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

My tummy skin will never go away. It's not an uncomfortable amount, but nothing short of surgery is going to make it budge. When I hit my goal, though, my boobs were the most noticable, as were my thighs. But I've been pleased with how over the past 3 years my boobs, arms, and legs have greatly improved (even my tummy- just a little bit). I even got a little bit of my boobs back!

Charlotte- I have promised myself a tummy tuck the minute I'm done having children, too.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #14  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

As long as I'm standing up straight, my skin's okay. As soon as i bend over, sit down, do push ups, my stomach and thighs sag and wrinkle. I've been doing floor exercises to tighten the muscles, but from what I've read on this forum, the extra skin won't go away.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #15  
Just Me

I do plan to get some plastic surgery about a year or so after I get to my goal weight. I'll let my body do some firming up and then I'll fix it a bit.

I do plan to go ahead with a tummy tuck because I doubt I will ever go through child birth. If we do decide to have children, adoption is probably more likely. Even if it does happen (accidents do), my stomach expanding for a few months is a lot easier on my body than it being over 300 lbs for 15 years and I'd be fine with whatever little tummy sag comes from it.