Old 05-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #1  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

Default Have you seen the influx of programing about the super morbidly obese?

I'm talking about people who weigh 500 lbs, and above? I am torn...it seems like a good idea in that people can see that these people are really struggling with major issues in their life, and are people who should be respected, and cared for, and then I think some of it borders on exploitation. I'm just wondering why these programs are so popular...does anyone here watch them? There is one show that I'm fairly sure was produced for British television Called "I Eat 33,000 Calories A Day". It's fairly exploitative, and it makes me sad that these people have gotten to this point. It does motivate me to never get like that, however. Tell me, what do you think about these shows?
VelvetCyberpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #2  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

yes, last week went to a Japanese buffet with sushi and amazing food, a group of guys were there on was at least 500 lbs, I felt so bad for him....... I wanted to go up and hug him and help him change his life.....it was sad

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-13-2007 at 01:53 PM.
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #3  
Velvet Goddess

Isn't it heartbreaking? I can remember when I was young...heck even 10 years ago, that seeing someone like that was so unusual, but now I see someone like that at least a couple of times a month.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #4  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

My higest weight has been only 220, however even at 5"8 that was super large to me, this poor guys pockets of his pants were stuck open seemed to small, I really will never forget him......
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #5  
Ravenclaw Prefect

I seen a couple of the shows that you are talking about and I'm really not sure what to think. For me it's motivation to keep on working towards my weight loss goal but I also feel guilty for watching. I'm assuming that all the people being featured on the show are doing so with their consent but I still feel like their being exploited like some kind of freak show for people to watch. I know for a fact that there are people that watch them and find joy and laughter in other peoples struggles.
DesDiamondS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Some other forums call TLCs programming "fatsploitation" - taking advantage of those with weight issues for the amusement of others. Scary, but the programming does get ratings...
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think that programming has been around for a while, at least for the last 5 years or so. I remember seeing programs about super morbidly obese people on TLC many years ago.

Obesity in general is growing in our nation. I remember when I was in high school (15 years ago), there was one guy who was 500 lbs and there were quite a few others that were over 300 lbs let alone 200 lbs. I myself was 300 lbs in high school.

When I was in high school, I remember the programs on tv about people who were housebound and couldn't even stand up due to their weight. I remember when I was in college, reading an article about a woman who lost over 300 lbs and she said she started by lifting a dumbbell.

So I don't really think it is anything new, TV will sensationalize what they can.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

on TLC there is a new program about Brookhaven Hospital in NYC, and the patients there. I watch it because it motivates me not to eat much. I don't think TLC is exploiting the patients there. They even had the man who Richard Simmons helped loose 500lbs( this man is from nyc, and loost the weight in the late 80's), and he gained it back and some; it made me sad. I haven't seen other shows on my cable program, only re runs of the biggest looser, that is it.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #9  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGypsy View Post
yes, last week went to a buffet Jap with sushi and amazing food, a group of guys were there on was at least 500 lbs, I felt so bad for him....... I wanted to go up and hug him and help him change his life.....it was sad
Ok...excuse me for being off-topic, but where in Ocala is this buffet located? My husband's aunt lives there and we are going to visit in July. I would love to visit that buffet. Sushi is a passion for me. My mouth watered when I read your post.

Thanks!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:39 AM   #10  
Velvet Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty81668 View Post
on TLC there is a new program about Brookhaven Hospital in NYC, and the patients there. I watch it because it motivates me not to eat much. I don't think TLC is exploiting the patients there. They even had the man who Richard Simmons helped loose 500lbs( this man is from nyc, and loost the weight in the late 80's), and he gained it back and some; it made me sad. I haven't seen other shows on my cable program, only re runs of the biggest looser, that is it.
cheryl
The Brookhaven program is good. You can tell that the people involved in making it care for the people there. The man you're referring to, Michael Hubrenko (sp?) actually weighed just over 1000lbs. at his largest, and lost ove 800lbs. He only gained back 400...which is bad enough, but yeah he did fall off of the wagon so to speak.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:05 AM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I enjoy these shows, because it makes me feel not so alone. It also makes me shut up about my weight b/c I could have it much worse.

What I wish they would do with these shows is a follow-up, to see how these patients are doing now. Especially the Half-Ton Man, I would like to see how he is doing.

They did a follow-up on Escape From Obesity: Kathy's Story. She went to her HS reunion & she looked so happy.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:07 AM   #12  
missaprylj

Those shows actually make my physically ill and scare the bejeezus out of me. Maybe because I can see how easy it would be to get that big?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/257/145

Height: 5' 6"

Hiya -- Just this past couple of weeks I have been wondering about this obese trend/thing happening on TV -- the trailers/teasers for something called big medcine have started -- I'm still noodling it about -- the trend is consistant (I'm thinking) with the whole perfect makeover thing -- the message that a standard of perfection can be realized whether it's applied to ones love life, clothes closet, living room, teeth, breasts, arse, nerdyness, or landscaping (and that realizing "The" standard of perfect is a good thing) . Combine the emphasis on conformity/perfection with TV ratings and I suspect we find a medium (TV) interested in marginalized groups (vacuous beauties combined with smart nerdy boys is my current fav I am ashamed to admit) -- for a while one could not turn on the telly without seeing an out queer person dressing or being dressed, renovating, excersizing, having surgery, or making slip covers -- the whole Jerry Springer thing has made family dysfunction entertainment (whether it is actors or not) -- and now, I suspect, for a while, we will be seeing obese peoples in all sorts of attitudes ripe for change and renovation. I'm pretty sure I think it is a tricky media strategy -- we all have a little queer in us, a little fat person in us (or in my case a lot of fat person) , a little Jerry Springer family in us, a little orange county housewife in us (well maybe just a tiny tiny bit) and I think that is what makes these sterotype shows work -- we are at once seeing the other (an extreme), and ourselves -- tricky bit is these shows (I believe) allow us to say "well I am not as bad as that ...." -- in this way the guy with the horrible garden , the family with the dirty house, the man who wears his trouser belt under his nipples, and the fat man on the gurney getting ready for a serious surgery become media objects -- subjects of the viewers (purient?) interest , not "real" people -- I am not convinced these fat shows are going to be useful for me as a fat woman ... I think it is kinda wierd, and in a bizarre way these fat shows seem to be a hip , 21st century variety of the old fat lady in the circus thing ... wonder what will be next marginalized group (after fat people exhausted) society takes on as a mirror and the media exploits... MG
Morag Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote