Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Mother's Day weekend food confession

I just have to write this down, I know once I see it, it may not look so bad.

I am in Kerrville, TX, visiting my mom for Mother's Day weekend. Food outlook - poor!

I arrived last night. We went to Saltgrass grill steakhouse and I was pretty good. I had 2 pieces from the appetizer bread, house salad no cheese or croutons with dressing on the side, an order of salmon (asked for no butter), steamed veggies and a plain sweet potato. I immediately split my entire dinner in half to go home. After dinner, I had a cup of coffee with cream and then my mom, step dad and I split a HUGE brownie sundae (I didn't eat that much.). Woo.

Today, oh wow. Started with a toasted english muffin with strawberry preserves and a little fruit (watermelon, pineapple, grapes) and 2 cups of coffee with sugar and Coffeemate. Then a few salty nuts (my parents have a huge Costco container of nuts on the counter (so hard to resist!). We drove out to a barbeque place (?!?!) in Llano, TX and I ate so much I was sick. I had 1.5 beef ribs, 1 pork rib, a bite of my mom's sausage, a bite of my mom's chicken, 2 bites of potato salad (really good) 1 bite of cole slaw (really gross) and about 1/4 of a serving of blackberry cobbler (soooo good). We came home and I wasn't hungry for dinner (I may never eat again!) but my step dad had butter pecan ice cream (which I love and haven't had in YEARS) so I asked him for a tiny bowl (he put about 1/2 cup in it - which was a good serving for him, he ate his out of a cereal bowl, heh).

I guess it could have been worse, mom offered to start the day with apple sweet rolls (they looked fabulous) and I could have eaten more nuts or more ice cream, more cobbler or some of the white bread on the table at the barbeque place.

I don't leave until Monday afternoon and I KNOW that we are least going to a fancy and wonderful brunch buffet place for Mother's Day on Sunday, send me your strong thoughts!!!!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #2  

Glory,

I think you did good!!!! With all those temptations, I think you showed remarkable restraint!!!! Just go ahead and enjoy the rest of your visit, you are doing good!!!!!

ibbasquish
ibbasquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #3  

Boy, I just looked at your pictures. What an inspiration they are!!!!
ibbasquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #4  
Meg

Hi Glory! Wow, everything is BIG in Texas, even the food! I agree that you did really well, considering what the choices were.

Take a deep breath - everything is going to be OK. You've been in these situations before in the last two years and you know there's no way you can do so much damage over a weekend that it can't be undone in a week or two. I know you and you'll get right back in your normal routine the minute you get home. With you, there isn't any risk that this weekend will trigger some kind of month-long binge or anything. You'll get off the plane and right back into your normal life - heck, you'll probably be cutting up veggies for the week on Monday night, right?

You're making good choices while still giving yourself some slack to enjoy some treats and that's great! I think you should go to the wonderful Sunday brunch with the same attitude and pick some delicious treats to sample that you would ordinarily stay far away from. Be picky and only go for the best because you don't want to end up feeling sick.

It's all going to work because it's so time-limited. You just can't do that much damage in such a short time. Just for fun, weigh yourself when you get home and then let us know how long it takes to lose what's probably mostly water. I bet it wouldn't be long at all!

Have a great visit with your parents!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Glory, I think you've done great. Look how many times you just had a bite of something or a tiny serving of it. That says right there that you are being totally conscious of what you are consuming. Relax, enjoy the time with your family. Trust in yourself, this weekend will pass and you have nothing to feel guilty about. Come Monday you will be back 100% on track. I know that with the food choices you have had, you've done FAR better than I could have done.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #6  

Glory, there you go expecting perfection again. You do this what, twice a year. This is the exception, rather than the rule. Enjoy the time with your family, and yes, the yummy BBQ (in moderation), and you'll be as good as new next week.

BTW: I think you are doing a fantastic job in a difficult food situation.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Glory~just keep in mind that this is just a weekend. You'll be home to your normal routine in just a couple of days and you'll be back on track then. You are making wise choices when they are available to you. When you cannot make a choice, you are cutting your portion size. You are giving into temptation with moderation. Don't despair--you're doing great!!! Besides, it is a holiday weekend!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Glory -- It actually doesn't sound bad at ALL! And just to echo what everyone else said, you will be back to normal when you go home. Just enjoy!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #9  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Glory - I also had greasy BBQ pork ribs (at a Chinese Restaurant) this weekend. It was an exception to my good eating routine and is not going to mess me up for the week. You'll be fine as well.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #10  
Dieting Diva

If you were closer i would be there with black bean salad and romaine/spring/ spinach mix to rescue you. Thank goodness you are on a plane somewhere heading away one some of the most prettiest places in the Lone Star State.
The food thing is why I try to meet and greet all newbie fellow Texans. It's really hard to diet down here.
I think it is a cultural thing. We EAT ! We Party ! I'm not even a native- i'm from Louisiana and the "Roux" based Cajuns are even worse !
"Diet" BBQ is really diffiecult as few places do tenderloin or just grilled breast. It's a half rack/ full rack of ribs or half a chicken in full skin dripping with sauce. Potato Salad and Coleslaw are always mayo based.The cobblers and the ice cream are standard fare for most of the pits in our area. I have only smoked one tenderloin once since I started dieting and it was for yesterday. I once did the racks of ribs and briskets atleast once a month in the summer and spring.
I have to do the same thing eating out in our area- order the fish and six lemon slices at Ihop and everyone give you the look. You get ample food for your money.
It's funny about the ice cream as I have problems with DH as I think of ice cream servings in coffee cups and he uses a cereal bowl.
You were two stepping in a mind field and came out with flying colors ! If you gained even a little bit you will be able to settle right back in and get it taken care of. At the buffet you might have been lucky- shrimp from the Gulf should be coming in and strawberries are pure heaven right now.Just unpack your bags and get back into the groove !
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 153/135/140

Height: 5'8"

Glory,
I know this is a tad off topic. But, did you go to Coopers Pit Bar-B-Que there in Llano? If you did I love that place. Been there twice in my life. Awesome BBQ! Just had to share.
AmandaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Thank you everybody for your wonderful advice and support!!! You are all awesome and did a great job "talking me down." All in all, it wasn't a terrible weekend, I ate more than I normally do and I think that's what made me feel so bad, I'm not used to feeling "too full" anymore and I don't like that feeling at all!

I am in Seattle and mostly back on track, I have a girl's night out tonight that I had forgotten about at a very chic restaurant in Seattle (Crush) that my friends and I have been dying to try. So, wine, dessert and a little decadence tonight (but we've been trying to get reservations forever, I am definitely looking forward to it).

Amanda - yep, we went to Cooper's Barbeque Pit in Llano!! For the "uninitiated" you pick your meat off a spit, then you go in and get your "sides" (slaw, potato salad, pinto beans, cobbler) and the folks slice the meat for you. They give it to you wrapped up in brown paper and you eat on a big communal-style picnic table, the "plates" are big pieces of white paper (I asked my mom if she ate the leftovers off real plates at home or if she just threw some newspaper on the table, she was amused). It was pretty Texas, all right!

My mom took some pics of the trip (not Coopers sadly, and I'll post them when I get them!)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #13  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Honey, you did great. I ate fettucini Alfredo, fried shrimp, general tso chicken, corn bread and Italian lemon cream cake. Pretty decent portions of all of the for mentioned! I survived, so you will you.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote