Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #1  
Hippy Chick

S/C/G: 346/308/180

Height: 5'9''

Default Second thoughts

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op. I barely take in any calories besides the protein shakes- and i haven't lost any weight. I've actually gained 2 lbs, according to the scale at the hospital this week. How is that even possible when I've been puking and just drinking water for 5 days in a row? Could it be water weight?

Needless to say, my spirits are getting low. I've been crying alot- uncontrolabley sometimes. I mean, I would cry before- the usual womanly emotions- but now it seems so intensified. I'm sitting here having crazy thoughts that this isn't going to work and that maybe I made a mistake.

Is this normal in the begining? Did anyone else start having the ''second thought syndrom" the first few weeks post-op? Please tell me it gets better!

Melissa
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Melissa, I don't know a lot about the lap band surgery, but it must be water weight if that's all you've been able to keep down since the surgery. Don't be discouraged! Although I can understand being more emotional since you've been hospitalized and haven't felt well. I know several people (in the 3D world) who have had the lapband and have had wonderful results and I'm sure you will too. Plus we have ladies here who have also had wonderful results, and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

Wow Melissa, I just noticed our starting weights, goal weights, and height are identical!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Melissa,
I'm sorry you are having a tough time. What does your doctor say? It sure does sound like water weight to me. You had to go into surgery for your gall bladder as well. I imagine your body is retaining quite a bit of water which needs to be flushed out.

I do wish you well in your journey

Jtammy, you are my hero
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Melissa, I can just imagine how frustrated you feel. I am sure it is so very difficult at first. I too have many good friends who have had the lap band surgery, 3 in fact and they have been wildly successful. Incredibly so in fact. They all tell me they are sooo happy with it and would do it again in a heartbeat. They did say that the first few weeks are rough going. You WILL get through this adjustment period, your incisions will heal and the you will be able to start eating a bit more regularly, and you'll be getting your first fill. And before you know it ........ you'll be well on your way to success. I really have no doubt about that. Before not too long these first few weeks will be a distant memory and you will be so happy with the results that you will actually be wondering why you were ever having any doubts. And yes I agree, it's most likely water weight. Good luck to you. Keep your chin up. It's going to get SO much better.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Melissa, yes its normal for some folks to gain about 10 lbs after surgery so don't panic. Second, its normal to feel the way you do. I too got very depressed after surgery, almost all of my LB friends have gone thru this. Between the surgery and lack of food your body is getting..your going through some pretty big changes right now. Hang in there hon, it will stop, PROMISE!!!

Give your body some time to adjust... your gonna see the pounds melt off real soon.

The day I came home from the hospital I thought OMG what did I do to myself...this is crazy. I can assure you, I'm 1 1/2 years out and I would do it again in a heartbeat !!!! All these feeling will end and when your finally eating real food, your gonna feel like a new person.

Hang in there sweetie !!! You did the right thing

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #7  
Hippy Chick

S/C/G: 346/308/180

Height: 5'9''

I am so glad I joined this forum because you guys give me just the encouragement and postive words I need to keep going. It's so great to be able to share this very personal time of my life with people who know and feel the same things I do. It makes me cry just thinking about it!

It is crazy though, I've been weighing myself periodically and it seems I'm 5 lbs down today (weird). My ankles that were swollen last night no longer are this morning. I guess I'm just being silly for having all the doubts. I just want to get the heck off of these painkillers and have a clear mind again!

Tammy that is sooo crazy! We are totally the same build! I bet you're absolutley beautiful!

Thank you so much girls! I feel much better now... and thank you 3FC!

Melissa

Last edited by Sweet Melissa; 05-12-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Melissa, your not being silly, your feelings are oh so real. And who wouldn't be scared going in for WLS only to come home weighing 10 lb heavier I'm surprised your doc didn't say something to you...its a shame they don't warn us.

Your gonna do wonderful

For me, the hardest part of post op was the first 4 weeks. I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks, then thicker liquids for another week and then mushies for a week. I didn't think I could do it, but I did. Felt like I was never going to be able to eat solid foods again.... That was the starvin marvin in me talking LOL...but all in all it was so worth the wait

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Melissa,

I agree with Leenie. You aren't being silly. I will say that surgery is on my top lists of things I'm scared of. I've never had any type of surgery and it scares me so I can only imagine what you are going through right now. One thing that started me on my weight loss is I got "threatened" with knee surgery nearly 3 years ago and that is when something clicked in me that I needed to lose weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Not to worry - don't forget that when you have surgery, they pump you FULL of fluids, which often get retained. Hence the "swollen ankles". Your body will start to dump the fluid soon enough. You have also given your system a surgical shock, and you need to let yourself heal without stressing out over the numbers on the scale! But, I KNOW you know all that And, I know that you know that weight loss is a life-time issue and committment, so don't get hung up on the short term!
Hang in there - you can do it - and it WILL get better!!!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/147/135

Height: 5'7''

The same thing happened to me. I was going crazy wondering why on earth was I not losing weight when I was eating like 100 calories if that in the beginning. I think your body also goes into shock or starvation mode.

I kept saying, "body, there is PLENTY to live off of" LOL.... It finally gives up and starts losing!

I stall a lot and have a pretty slow, but steady weight loss. You are doing great and know that you are not alone.
Congrats on your new journey!!!
Shrinky Dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Melissa View Post
It is crazy though, I've been weighing myself periodically and it seems I'm 5 lbs down today (weird). My ankles that were swollen last night no longer are this morning. I guess I'm just being silly for having all the doubts. I just want to get the heck off of these painkillers and have a clear mind again!
Good! The scales can be so frustrating, and as Leenie said, it's a shame you weren't warned about the normal increase before hand. Good luck as you head on your weight loss journey.