Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #1  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Question How can I count the calories of something that is not listed anywhere???

Tonight I go to the local latin fruit market( it is only opened friday nights, saturday and Sunday), to buy Mangos, papayas, and other fruits , and veggies. I also bought something called Dulce( which translates to sweets). It is a cooked squash, sweet potato( in my case it was sweet potato), and then it is put in a cane sugar, so that the inside taste likes sweet potato and the outside is soft, but with a light sugary/honey taste. I had a slice of this, but don't know how to count the calories on this. I know it can't be more than 200 calories, but was just wondering what can I do? Tia Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey hellokitty,

You would have to have someone tell you how much of the ingredients are used in a batch, or estimate (or actually weigh somehow) the number of ounces of the mixture in a serving.

An ounce of sweet potato has 36 cals. according to FitDay, for example. Cane syrup has 56 cals. a Tablespoon. So from these two values, you could come up with a rough amount for the slice.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
An ounce of sweet potato has 36 cals. according to FitDay, for example. Cane syrup has 56 cals. a Tablespoon. So from these two values, you could come up with a rough amount for the slice.
That would be the best & most logical thing to do I think.

Also, so long as you aren't married to a certain number and can afford to have wrongly guestimated by a few (or maybe more) calories under or over then I would go with your best guestimate as a second best idea.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I have a custom item entered in fitday that I call "a little bite". I have set it up for 100 calories. I use it occasionally when I "taste" food as I'm cooking it, or when I have a little bite of something that I don't know the calories of. I would probably enter 2 little bites for something like you've described to overestimate.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

one half cup mango flesh 48 calories ;one half cup papaya cubed 30 calories.
Source Calorie King.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #6  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
I have a custom item entered in fitday that I call "a little bite". I have set it up for 100 calories. I use it occasionally when I "taste" food as I'm cooking it, or when I have a little bite of something that I don't know the calories of. I would probably enter 2 little bites for something like you've described to overestimate.
I think this is a great idea
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorefatpants View Post
I think this is a great idea
Me too! Thanks for the tip!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #8  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post

I have something similar at 70 cal for 'graze'
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #9  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

I usually guesstimate ... then add on an extra 50 plus calories to ensure I don't underestimate the value.

It keeps me in check LOL.
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote