WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #1  

Default New vs. Old Points

I used to go to WW years ago and had really good sucess with it so I decided to go back and went to my first meeting today! Yay! But I have a questions. Last time I did it my points range was 18-22. I found I lost really well when I was in the 18-19 point range but when I went into the 20's I barely lost anything. So I went to the meeting today and I did the points quiz and they said my daily point allowance was 25! I am currently the same starting weight as I was when I started the previous time. I don't understand...did they change how food is counted or how much a point is? I'm afraid if I follow this new way I won't lose...should I just aim for the 18-19 range liek before? Anyone else been in this situation?
Thanks so much guys!
Melissa
fidjsnipzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

25 points is going to be about 1200 - 1500 calories. Even with bonus points (average of 5 a day) that's another 250 -300 calories, so that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Why don't you start with what they allow, and adjust it if you need to. For long term weight loss, it's generally considered best to stick with the highest calorie range that allows for weight loss of about .5 - 1% of your current weight per week (at least that's what the research seems to indicate predicts the most permanent weight loss with the fewest risks and side effects such as gall bladder problems) So that would be about .75 - 1.5 lbs per week.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #3  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I too would start out with the 25 point range. Our bodies and metabolisms change over time, and the 25 points might do it for you. If not, you can always adjust your points in the coming weeks. I started at 28 points and then dropped to 26 when the scale said I should, but I've never dropped points since then and I'm still losing fine. Give it a try, you may be surprised!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #4  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

I was concerned about this too. I keep myself at 20 points and it seems to be going okay. Slow, but okay...
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

First of all do it the way the program is revised for at least 3-4 weeks and then make your adjustments many times our bodies need some time to adjust. Most bodies won't need the full 3-4 weeks before it starts to say hey she/he isn't straving me trying to get this excess stuff off and will work fine.

However there are some who cannot use all the points W/W allows but it should allow you for the minimum. The other thing is you can adjust your daily points by really evaluating the 'DAILY ACTIVITY' portion of the quiz. I'd like to say I stand or move most of the day but when I actually paid attention to my day I really was only up and moving from my desk for about 10-12 minutes out of each hour.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Also consider this - on the range system, if you had 2 servings of something that was 2 points per serving, you counted it as 4 points. Not so anymore! Now you need to double the cal/fat/fiber and figure out the points. Sometimes this will put you more than double, sometimes less but more than likely more. For instance, some soups I eat are 2 points per cup, but if you eat the whole can (2 cups) then some of them turn up to be 5.5 points.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Actually that cal/fat/fiber totals has been arounds since 1998 when I joined....LOL!

But still they recommend you do it that way but they also say be consistent and if you choose to do the points per serving x number of servings do it that way all the time...but if you choose to do total cal/fat/fiber then points do that all the time. Being consistent is the best route my leader always says.

I see your example but there are many times doing it turns out in your favor too.

For example EggBeaters are 30 cal/0 fat/0 fiber for 1 serving or 1 point but 2 servings are 60 cal/0 fat/0 fiber and it is 1 point for both those servings...
Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM   #8  

I joined in '98 my first time as well, and went to 3 different meeting places and it was always that way with the points! Double servings meant double the points, etc (figure out the points per one serving and multiply that by the number of servings you had). It wasn't until I got eTools with the new program that I noticed eating 2 servings of oatmeal wasn't 4 points!!! So I approached my leader and she said that part had changed.

But to me it seems like the system as a whole didn't really change a whole lot. Although, I think I ate less when I used the range system, and I like the idea of having to "bank" my points and use them instead of just having them handed to me. But still, I follow the new plan and so far its been working just fine!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Hey just spread you your points at 5 and give yourself a range then...bank them yourself. LOL!

I actually talked to my leader back in 1998 when I joined and she and I went through her leaders manual. It had both ways to do points but doing the points per serving x number of servings was 'simplier' to teach...

I agree doing the total cal/fat/fiber was always better...I've always done it that way.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Thanks for the reminders on the doubling of servings Kelly and Modkittn - I "Knew" that but the reminder refreshed it in my memory. I too have been with WW for many, many years off and on. I've been through exchanges to points - let me tell you, Points win HANDS down. Exchanges program was too rigid. The points system lets me feel that this is doable for the rest of my life and a great lifestyle change.
Rosegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #11  

Thanks for all the advice guys! So I just finished week 1 and I followed the new points and I lost 6 lbs!!! I can't believe it! Next week I'm just hoping for a moderate 1 lb...but it defidently helps give you the motivation to have a great jump start on my weight loss.
Thanks again!
Melissa
fidjsnipzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #12  

Congrats Melissa! Keep up the good work
Old 09-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 176/174/150

Height: 5'6"

Congrats hope your weight loss is still strong and steady
nowsthetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #14  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I would love to have some extra points, it's a rare day that I stay within just the points allowed. I agree with Kelly about the activity portion. I got a pedometer and was surprised on the days that I don't make a point to walk how little I actually do walk and I don't sit at my desk all day.

One thing you really have to remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If we deny ourselves too much and don't treat it like a diet someday we'll go off of the diet and gain back the weight we lost.

That's where I'm at now and really trying to make this for life, not just to get to goal, but maintain, maintain.

I know if you do the program it works.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote