Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/145/115

Height: 5foot2

Cool easy lunchbox ideas?

i need some quick and easy lunchbox ideas that have under 400cals. They need to be able to stay in the box for 3 or 4 hours and are "ready to eat" for when i'm at school, I'm tired of tomato sandwiches and apples Oh yeah nothing sloppy i have one of those old tin lunchboxes that are prone to bursting open.
mascara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Toss an ice pack in the box and have a salad (keep the dressing in a separate container so everything doesn't get soggy). Try some different sandwiches--I'm a dork and eat peanut butter and jelly almost every day (50 calories per slice of bread, 90 calories per T natural peanut butter, and maybe 25 calories no-sugar-added fruit spread makes for less than 250 cals total for the sandwich). Or a good ol' meat and cheese sandwich. Or a whole wheat pita with veggies and hummus and maybe some turkey. Or some fruit and a hard boiled egg. Or a wrap of whole grain torilla, turkey, baby spinach, and fat free (or low fat) cream cheese. Or some tuna salad (homemade to avoid an overload of full-fat mayo) and crackers. Or a string cheese, a few nuts (almonds or walnuts or whatever) and some fruit. Or some cottage cheese and granola. Or a yogurt and some dry cereal.

Or something someone else will surely suggest
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Lunchbox inspiration here: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Maybe it's time to consider investing in a new lunchbox? I use tupperware, but it's easy for me to just toss that in the fridge when I get to work.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans View Post
Lunchbox inspiration here: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

Maybe it's time to consider investing in a new lunchbox? I use tupperware, but it's easy for me to just toss that in the fridge when I get to work.

Thanks for reminding me about them! I keep meaning to look at the site, I'm going to bookmark it right now. I read about them in Vegetarian Times (I'm not a fulltime vegetarian~but I do eat mostly veg.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Consider investing in a salad container like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Range-Kleen-ST...8822803&sr=1-5

Makes transport of salad mess-free and only requires a single container...just pull the handle, release the dressing, shake, and eat. Mine also came with a fork to keep in the container - easy lunch salads with no sogginess.

Try to branch out on the sandwich front...buy some of the large size whole wheat low carb tortillas, stuff with hummus and veggies or lean meats, cheese, and lots of veggies. They have tons of fiber and protein. One of my favorites: spread a whole wheat low carb tortilla (the big size is 80 cals and has a toooon of fiber) with a garlic herb laughing cow wedge (or two, if you like a considerable amount of creamy goodness...two wedges are 70 cals) and some deli mustard. Add some lean turkey, chopped cucumber, lettuce or spinach, and tomato. Roll tightly, secure with toothpicks, and cut in half so it can fit in a lunch baggie. That sandwich would run you (with one cheese wedge) approx 215 calories, depending on veggie and turkey quantity. Then you have plenty of room to build the rest of your sides. You could add veggies and dip, or a yogurt, or some fruit, maybe a string cheese, and even a pudding cup for dessert! (Jell-o makes 60 calorie fat free sugar free varieties sweetened with splenda).

Wraps are super-versatile too. Make one with tuna one day, the next spread your tortilla with a tbsp of peanut butter and wrap it around a banana. And since the bread is so high protein/high fiber/low calorie, you're giving yourself a big burst of fullness for minimal calorie impact, and you can put more calories into the sandwich fillings and sides.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Those wraps sound delicious Mandalinn. I haven't seen large ones with tons of fiber and only 80 cals. What brand are those? I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

I use these by La Tortilla Factory.

http://www.c-els.com/catalog/cDetail...pc=07885852039

I can find the smaller sized ones at almost any grocery store - I've only seen the larger ones at WalMart and safeway.

The taste is a little different, of course...but to me, I want to taste my sandwich fillings anyway, and the thing is so fiber-filled its practically like taking an 80 cal fiber supplement. And now that I'm adjusted, I think they are quite tasty! We use the smaller size (50 cal, 8g fiber) for fajitas all the time - I get to have three fajitas stuffed with bell pepper, onion, chicken, salsa, and black beans, and only spend 150 of my calorie budget on tortillas!

Another sandwich bread solution - alternative bagels! I am such an addict. 110 cals for a good-sized bagel, again with tons of fiber and protein. Fill that with some cream cheese, turkey, and veggies, and you have another non-sandwich-style sandwich.

http://www.westernbagel.com/alternativebagelonline.asp
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/145/115

Height: 5foot2

great ideas here and i didn't mention before but im veggie so the vegan lunchbox ideas will be a great help. i love the banana tortilla idea i definately will try that. thanks for the great ideas gonna go raid the supermarket for tortillas peanut butter and loads more salad tomoz, say goodbye to my boring lunches!! (oh yeah and as far as getting a new lunchbox i kinda refuse to I've had my monkey box since i was little, but i may buy some tupperware to go inside it) THANKYOU
mascara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

You could top with all kinds of vegan toppings on the wraps. Hummus and sliced cucumber is fabulous. Peanut butter is also good with apple slices...mm. Basically, make sure you have a "spread" like hummus, peanut butter, vegan ovendried tomato dip (PM me if you want the recipe), add on your toppings, roll and go!

Vegan lunchbox is AWESOME (and I'm an omnivore!)
Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

mascara~don't let anyone talk you out of your monkey lunch box! I wish I had my superfriends lunch box still. In fact, I would love to find an "old" style metal lunch box to transport my lunch (they are hard to find in good condition or expensive here.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

Ebay! The superfriends one are apparently a big-time collectible, but you can get other characters on ebay for 12 or so dollars with shipping.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #12  

I have fiber crackers topped with low fat cheese and grilled chicken...yummy
sunshine900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I bring a thermos of soup, chili, stew, or veggies and tofu for lunch when I plan ahead. Sometimes I just fill a regular container and eat it room temp.

Sometimes I eat soy yogurt, sliced fruit and dried fiber cereal for lunch.

I guess I just love food so it's not hard to think of things to eat It is harder to think of things NOT to eat (and to not eat them).
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

Great lunch ideas!

Mandalin- I haven't tried the laughing cow wedges, but have eye balled them in the grocery store, they sound delicious. What is a 'alternative' bagel? I need to get more creative with food choices, mix things up. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Luc's mom is offline   Reply With Quote