Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #1  
Willpower Again!

S/C/G: 152/150/125

Height: 5-7....BMI 125.6! yikes

Question Fat Free?

I went on a diet years ago on all fat Free foods and lost a ton of weight keeping it off for 5 years....now it's all back on but i noticed that there isn't anything in the stores fat free anymore...very few to say the least...and now I'm confused .... I feel terrible when i eat something that has 9 grams of fat per serving even if it contains only 300 cal. Afterwards i feel like it's useless and eat away as usually.....what should i do?
Shoocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

It turns out that totally fat free diets are not a good idea. The body needs some fats--otherwise one can become ill.

The best way to go according to a lot of folks is to have a good balance of foods. You want to have sufficient protein so that you don't just lose muscle, as well as sufficient fats. You also don't want to eat lots and lots of carbohydrates, especially not refined carbohydrates.

We have a whole area on the forums that has foods and recipes. You might want to explore that section. Also, we have forums here on many different weight loss plans--and lots of reviews of different plans. So check out Diet Central as well.

In the meantime, don't stress over the fats. A "low-fat food" is generally defined as one in which the percent calories from fat is lower than 50%--or so I remember--so look for those kinds of foods. Most nutrition bars, for example, fit into this category--like Kashi bars as just one example: total cals, 140; cals from fat, 42.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

What Jay said. I started with the fat free. I cut out eggs and everything. I ended up having some skin problems that the docs couldn't figure out. I went to a naturopathic doc at one point. She suggested adding fats back in. You WANT good fats. I've not had the rash again. Dunno if that was the cause or not. But I still lost weight even with those fats.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yupyup--fats don't make you fat. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. There are even fats in some fruits and veggies, but does that makes them bad for you? Heck no! Fat free foods from years past were typically filled with more SUGAR in order to make up for the flavor missing due to lack of fat. Instead of trying to eliminate an entire food category (fats, carbs, whatever), try to eat a well-balanced diet comprised of as many natural foods as possible
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Many of the "fat free" diet products are also "nutrient free". When the fat free craze was popular in the 90's, there was fat free cookies/pudding/chocolate syrup/candy and everything was labeled FAT FREE!!!!! but it was still junk, and still loaded with sugar and empty calories.

There are good foods that are low fat/fat free-such as fruit, veggies, oatmeal, and skim milk...and then there are the fat free/low fat JUNK foods, which are just as bad as a full fat cookie/pudding. Actually, fake fat free foods are worse for you, because a fat free cookie or pudding digests much quicker than one with fat in it, and you actually end up hungrier sooner, and have cravings.

I think it is okay and healthy to reduce fats that you don't need-such as buying skinless chicken breast, over the higher calorie/fat chicken with skin on...or having foods that are naturally low fat like mentioned above-but fat free snacky things aren't good for you at all. (Regular Pepsi is fat free, for instance. )

There is also a difference between fats:
shortening=bad
olive oil=good.
bacon grease=bad
fat in nuts=good

Not all fats are created equal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #6  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

that was a fad back in the 90's when we were told that fat makes you fat.
I bought into it, worked the plan for a month and a half, and GAINED a pound!
That way of eating doesn't work for most- so those fat free snackwell's and others are not around so much anymore..

The great news is that if you can manage to lose weight on fat free foods, you can probably lose weight on anything! The shy's the limit And you get to eat stuff with better flavor and texture.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote