Old 05-02-2007, 06:49 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Default Prehypertension and Hypertension Questions

Looks like the blood pressure has goen back up to where I am borderline for high blood pressure. The doctor who treats me for my back was very direct about how if I don't do something about it in 10 to 20 years I will be dead. Pretty direct eh??? Anyway since I am still borderline (in the 140s/80s) I asked for sixth months to beat it naturally and not have to use meds. I really dislike meds.

My point is do any of you have this problem and what is your story? Do you take meds? Have you controled it other ways? Any books or websites you reccomend? How about the DASH diet?

Thanks Chicks in advance I am always amazed at the great support and advice here.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Dolly. I am sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully in 6 months time you can make a dent in your weightloss efforts and that will keep you off of meds. It's certainly worth a shot. Good luck!!

Here's a link to a thread that was talking about blood pressure recently. Maybe there will be some more info for you. Why not take a look?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111067
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #3  
DollyR

Looks like some good information and I also just ordered some books from amazon for DASH diet and hypertension.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #4  

Height: 5.6

Hey - I am sorry you are having to go through this...

I am actually on 2 different meds for the same thing...

But, I have managed to bring mine down and I am hoping that I am eventually going to be able to get off of the meds altogether one day.

Exercise is really going to help, reducing your stress is going to help, eating healthier is a big thing. I only use sea salt now, there is enough iodized salt put into foods as it is.... I have also cut out a lot of the overly processed foods, I use very little canned veggies or fruit. I have tried salt substitutes in the past and just did not care for them. But between using different seasonings and sea salt - I don't miss regular table salt one bit.

Good luck - giving yourself 6 months to turn things around - I think you are really going to impress your doctor. You can do it!
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I use meds. I am on Lisinopril 40mg every day. Exercise will help, removing the salt from the table will help, and making your own meals will help you be in control of how much sodium you consume. Also knock down the caffeine consumption, too, if you consume any, that is.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #6  
DollyR

Thanks for the comments. I am going to talk to my regular doctor this summer and see if I should just go on meds as a precaution and wean myself off them if things go well......
Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #7  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

Mine was borderline high also about the same as yours and my doctor put me on a water pill. He said that alot of people with high blood pressure are sodium sensitive. Just a thought and something that you may want to discuss with your doctor.

Good luck to you!
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:22 AM   #8  

Oh yeah. Before I started the clinical trial, I was using Lisinopril mixed with a diuretic in the same pill. It was lisinopril/HCTZ, which is hydrochlorothiazide. It worked nice, nicer than what I'm on now.

See what the regular dr says, absolutely. Uncontrolled HBP isn't something to mess with, then again, I have seen that coroner's show (Dr G Medical Examiner) one too many times.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #9  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

mine was always low then as soon as i lost weight 140/110 I found out i do not have high blood pressure, I just hate Drs..lol Take it 3 times a week and get a average, mine sits at 108/78 last week, I was crazy when i knew it was so high,,,so take it 3 times a week and write it down
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't think giving yourself 6 months to get control it is a good idea. A lot of damage can be done to your blood vessels in the meantime. I would take the meds, and work on getting things under control ~ THEN go off the meds. Not worth the risk IMO. (had a cousin who died trying to just "control" his BP without meds)
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

My mom had high blood pressure but it was related to her kidney disease. She had a kidney transplant and that took care of her high blood pressure. She still has to watch her pressure though and she reads a lot of food labels. It is unbelievable how much sodium is in practically everything that is canned especially canned soups.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
My mom had high blood pressure but it was related to her kidney disease. She had a kidney transplant and that took care of her high blood pressure. She still has to watch her pressure though and she reads a lot of food labels. It is unbelievable how much sodium is in practically everything that is canned especially canned soups.
I've begun noticing that same thing! In fact, so much so that I've started buying only fresh vegetables right now and this winter I'll switch to frozen. I'm also inspired to start a garden next year!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #13  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Same here, so even if my weight goes down considerably (Onderland & below) there is no guarantee for me that I could go off the meds.

I use this for a snack at work, have not tried using it in recipes yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Herb-ox-Sodium.../dp/B0005ZZ4DI

because soup is the WORST for sodium & I love soup.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #14  

Quote:
I don't think giving yourself 6 months to get control it is a good idea. A lot of damage can be done to your blood vessels in the meantime.
Except that the OP said her BP is 140/80, which isn't actually dangerously high. It's classified as high-normal (US) or borderline (WHO). It's the warning period before you're creating health problems.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 258/210/125

Height: 5'

i believe mariamaria is right 140/80 is basically where they really want to start monitoring you. i have high blood pressure and am on meds . 140 is not great but 80 is nothing to sneeze at . and i beleive the bottom number is usually what they look at the most . i have been on a few different meds so far . luckily i am pretty sure my doc will have to adjust mine to something less because lateley when i check my b/p it is significantly lower . 110/67 thereabouts . for me that is really low and my head just starts to spin when i get up to fast . i have lost 40lbs in the last 3months and i really saw the my bp go down when i started excercising regularly . 30mins treadmill 3 to 4 times a week. plus watching what i eat . and drinking loads of water . dont forget to talk to your doctor they do know what is best . even if sometimes they sound like they just want to scare the poop out of ya . totally understand not wanting to take meds i hate them too . but remember as you get on top of your life changes the numbers will change and then you can always see your doctor again to have them adjusted and eventually not have to take them anymore
chocco is offline   Reply With Quote