Old 05-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Weekly Chit Chat April 30 - May 6

We spend so much time supporting each other with our exercise and our calories and what the scale said, that it's sometimes nice to talk about what else is going on in our lives and get to know each other more. You can talk about weight here too!!

Last weekend Jacob stood up in a wedding. He was the ring bearer...so cute! Here are some pics!

Tomorrow I am taking a few days off and we are going to Indy. We will spend the day at the Children's museum and then go stay at our hotel that has an indoor water park!! Jacob is sooo excited. We weren't able to do anything during spring break, so I wanted to do something!!

It'll be nice to have a few days off work...I really need a break!

How is everyone doing???
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Oh my goodness, Sandi, what a cutie he is!! A little heartbreaker! And it's great that you're going to have a few days off!

This is a great idea for a thread -- we really should get to know each other better! We spend so much time talking, but we focus on our weight loss struggles and celebrations and don't always get a chance to talk about other things.

As for me, I'm just looking forward to the end of the school year. Busy time. This week, I'm unfortunately dealing with a difficult situation with my brother-in-law and his wife, who are very close friends to me and my husband. Their dog suddenly had an embolism or something this past weekend, and was paralyzed from the middle of his back down. He was in an animal hospital for a few days but didn't respond to medication, so they had to make the very painful decision to have him put to sleep last night. We were with him for a couple of hours last night before they decided. They just couldn't commit to taking care of him in that condition because it would be a full-time job, and they didn't want him to suffer the problems it would cause. It was so tough, though, because from the waist up, he was the same lively, wonderful dog.

They're bringing him to our house tonight to bury him next to our beloved Cody, who was hit by a car a year and a half ago. They were buddies, so we like to imagine they'll be running and playing in Doggie Heaven now.

I honestly don't think I can handle getting another dog. Too painful.

Sorry to be depressing! That's just what's on my mind. Usually I'm pretty happy! I promise to come back to this thread with something pleasant!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Jacob is sooo adorable!! You all will have a great time!

Here are a couple of pics of what I love to do in my spare time.....the first one is me dropping into the washout, the 2nd is me climbing the bank on the other side! The guys were there to spot us.

Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #4  

Lisa ~ putting a beloved furry family member down is one of the most difficult things one ever has to do. Hugs to all of you.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Mrs Quadcrew, that looks like fun. Are you ever afraid of getting hurt?
Lisa - I have three dogs, but my oldest is my baby. He is now 14 years old and is deaf and almost blind and he moves very slowly. He was my first baby, even before my daughters were born and I will be heartbroken when he passes. I can only imagine how difficult it will be. My heart is with you and your family.
Sandi - Jacob is a real cutie! My oldest daughter was a bridesmaid when she was 5 and she still remember's the ring bearers name and remembers dancing with him at the reception...she is now 11. I hope it was as enjoyable an event for your son.

As many of you know, we are attempting to sell our house so we can move to Georgia. This is not the best market right now....the market has really tanked. Last week, we had 5 showings then nothing on Sat and Sun. Last night we had a showing during dinner time...had to go out to eat. This morning we had a showing so hubby and I went to work out. And...we have another showing at dinner time today....all of this eating out is so very very difficult for my weight loss efforts! I am staying on-plan, but the temptation is incredible...and you never know what they've hidden in their recipes. But, all is good as we got an offer today...and our realtor said that this mornings' house hunters are talking about making an offer. So, we may have two offers on the table tomorrow morning!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Sandi how fun for your son. I bet you were a proud Mom.

Lisamarie that must of been very heartbreaking. We have a cocker who is 9 and I know when he goes I don't want another dog. It is too hard.

Mrs Quadrew, I think I'm going to get a ATV for my DH birthday. He doesn't like it when I spend that kind of money without consulting him. But too bad he'll get over it.

Rhonda good luck with the house sales. Good for you sticking to your plan even though you are eating out.

Well, we have owned a campground for over 18 yrs. We are probably going to sell and watch our baby grow up. We will be the only parents of a kindergartner that is retired. It will be kind of strange but we have worked hard. We have also enjoyed it alot. My DH isn't getting any younger and he wants to slow down. If you guys would like to see my campground visit
http://www.campingfriend.com/deertrailpark/
I hope I'm allowed to say that. I am not trying to get business. None of you live close enough to come and visit.

I hope I'm
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #7  

Rhonda - there is always a chance one can get hurt, but I wear my helmet and I am a very careful rider. You can see in that pic the man holding my back rack? He is making sure I drop down into the ravine safely. The other 2 (the one in blue is my DH) are making sure I get out of it ok. Just taking our time and having fun with friends is what it is all about! I've been riding since '02 and I just truely LOVE it. I am on my 5th ATV now! We go to W.V. a lot and there are 30 of us going to Utah in August.

We'll keep our fingers crossed a good offer comes on your home soon too.

sharon - what a cool place to work! I am sure you're ready to retire, but for those that have worked in offices or the like their whole lives, you sure have a great job! If we were closer, we would come and stay with you all!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Ok, this thread seem like too much fun!

Yea, Rhonda on the offer(s)! That's so exciting!
Mrs Q - You look great out there!
Sandi - Cute wedding pics. He looks like he loves to be dressed up!
Lisa - Sorry about your sad situation. My husband is the real animal softie in our family....I'm more pragmatic than he. hahaha We had a kitten swallow my cross-stitching needle a few weeks ago. We spent $1600 on the surgery/hospital stay/medication/etc....I was like "You're SURE you want to spend all that on a barn cat?" There was no question in his mind!

I'm a SAHM mom of 4 so I get busy once evening rolls around. My days are pretty free once the housework is finished. Gotta say I love it! I was a chemist before we got married and I moved down to TN and quit working. My biggest news is that I'm getting ready to go to seminary! Can't wait! I've got a few classes to take prior....but should be enrolling in about a year.

Looking forward to learning the other sides of my 3fc friends!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #9  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies,

I thought I would join you all for this. I am teacher in South Korea. Nect year I will be a ed technologist for my school and I am VERY excited about my new job! I have lived here in Seoul for 4 years now and really enjoy living overseas. The thing is this time of year I just want to go home and see my family. I get really homesick for them and miss them. Next school year I am going to try to go home for Xmas so maybe it won't seem so bad. I am also staying a lot longer this summer with my sister. 1 month and 15 days until I hit the US again and I have to tell you I get a little teary eyed when the immigration guy tells me Welcome Home or Welcome to the US.

Rhonda - Good luck with the sale of the house. I keep reading about how tough it is to sell right now. I was thinking about looking this summer for a place of my own but I am not sure if it is a buyers market as well where I am going to look.

Sandi - Your little guy looks really cute! Sometimes I wish I had a child of my own.

Sharon - Was it / Is it fun running a campground? I have never been camping in my entire life....

Mrs. Q - The 4 Wheeling looks like a lot of fun. I think it would be something I would really enjoy.

Thanks for letting me join in!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Looks to be a good thread going on here. It's really fun to hear what others are doing.

Lisa: Sorry about the dog. It is tough to see things like that happen. You get so attached to the little furballs!

Rhonda: let me send my good luck and wishes to you on selling the house. I'm sure you'll be glad when you get all of that done!

Mrs Q: Looks like a good time for you! Can't say that I'd want to get an ATV for me because I have horses and would rather ride through the forests, but you look like you have great adventures! And you don't have to feed your ATV every day!! ha!

Sandi: What a handsome boy you have!

Sharon: Wisconsin looks beautiful. I'm sure that you'll enjoy moving away from the hectic schedule of running a campground. You can move on to the hectic schedule of raising your child! ha!

Darlene: You have a very important job and I have always admired educators. Unfortunately, you can't just run back to the US for the weekend!!

Tricia: Good luck with seminary. What an opportunity for you!

As for me, I work full time outside the home. But, what keeps me really busy are my two kids who are very much involved in sports and everything else! That's been a lot of fun being at these events. I even took a class so that I could volunteer as a referee for volleyball. And I do the scorekeeping for baseball. That way, I keep my mouth shut and let the coaches do the coaching!! We have horses and live out in the country. Love to fish, hunt, and camp.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #11  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

As a new visitor to this site, I am really enjoying reading this thread to get to know everyone. A little about me...I am married with one wonderful daughter, Olivia, who will turn 5 next month (her picture is my avatar). I work part time as a school psychologist and work primarily with kids in grades 7-12 (believe it or not, middle schoolers are my favorite!). In my free time, I love spending time with my family, reading, knitting and going to the pool. Summers are usually spent between the Outer Banks, NC and the NJ shore - anywhere there is a beach!

My husband and I are coming up on our ninth wedding anniversary, and I would like to do something really special for him. We are definitely on a tight budget right now, but I am searching for something to let him know how much I appreciate him. Any suggestions?
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

LWM, I'll have to think more about suggestions for something for your husband. It always takes me ages to think of good gifts. Is there something that's special to just the two of you -- the place where you met, or something like that? I always wanted to take my husband back to the place we met and do something there, but they turned it into a discount clothing store the last I heard.

Sharon, I'm jealous that you get to run a campground -- sounds lovely! I've never actually been camping, but I really want to and will eventually get around to it, I hope.

Dolly, I bet it's tough being overseas and missing family. I remember when I got sick on a trip to Italy and it felt so weird to be that far from my mom, even though I'm an adult who doesn't live near her anyway! Something about being SO far away just made me feel helpless, but that was because I'd never been overseas before, I guess. It's very cool that you've had this experience, though. I've always thought it would be nice to live overseas for a while but my husband would never agree to it!

Thanks for all the nice comments about the doggie. We'll bury him tonight but I'm not home yet (at the gym waiting on my husband and wishing I didn't have this tendonitis thing going on). They're bringing over pizza and red wine tonight (not so great for the diet) so we can toast our doggies.

I realized I didn't really say much about myself in the other post, so in case you don't know...I'm a 35 year old high school English teacher, and I live in Virginia. I've been married for nearly 14 years to a wonderful man who teaches math at the same school where I teach. We did boring, icky corporate things for years, and we in recent years we decided on a career change. Despite its stresses and disappointments, I do love teaching. I'm worried about the state of public education, goodness knows, but I still love it. In my free time (which is lacking during the school year), I read, play the piano, watch lots of movies, and post on this message board (I often do that when I should be grading or planning...)
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Sandi - How adorable!! Whenever I see your avatar I marvel over how cute your son is. Definitely a heartbreaker!

Lisa - I'm so sorry about your in-law's dog. My pets are definitely my children...I know how devastating it is to lose them. I like your image of Cody and your BIL's dog running together in dog heaven.

MrsQuadcrew - Awesome ATV's!! Looks like tons of fun!

Rhonda - Congrats on getting an offer!! Hope everything goes through without a hitch!

Tricia - Wow that's cool about you going to seminary! What a big decision. Congrats!

DollyR - I can understand homesickness - although I've never been as far from home as you or for as long! I can imagine how much you're looking forward to getting home! There ain't no place like it.

Slashnl - Cool about the horses!! My reward for weight loss is to start riding. I am going to be taking some adult classes (I rode a bit when I was younger, but only a bit). I am SO looking forward to it!

LWM - Welcome to 3FC! Congrats on your anniversary!! Sorry, I'm really bad at that kind of thing (figuring out what to do). Hope someone else with more imagination can chime in!

As for me, I work a full time job in consumer financing as well as a part time job helping out at a hot tub store. Keeps me busy! I've been married 5 years to my fabulous DH. We are getting excited about an upcoming trip to Boston at the end of May - a little worried about staying OP but I'm sure it'll work out!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #14  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
I always wanted to take my husband back to the place we met and do something there, but they turned it into a discount clothing store the last I heard.

Despite its stresses and disappointments, I do love teaching. I'm worried about the state of public education, goodness knows, but I still love it. In my free time (which is lacking during the school year), I read, play the piano, watch lots of movies, and post on this message board (I often do that when I should be grading or planning...)

I agree that a hot date at a discout clothing store is not a very romantic anniversary destination....hilarious!! It's always nice to hear someone say "I love teaching" - especially this time of year! I taught for years before my daughter was born, and I miss it every day. I am lucky to be able to still be in touch with the kids in my new position. As for state of public education, I agree that we have a long way to go. Maybe things will look up after November 2008...
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Lisa and LVM....I'm so glad to know when people share my love of and concern for public education! We live in a neighborhood where most kids attend the local "academy" but I just canNOT do that. I wholeheartedly support our education system and the best way to do that is to be INVOLVED! Thanks to you both. And Lisa, a special thanks to you for your career change to serve in the schools. KUDOS lady!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote