Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

Default Looking for Dumbells

ok, so i want to start building a home gym of sorts....but i don't have the money to make a major investment, so i was wondering if there is such a thing as dumbells that i could add round plates to as i need them instead of buying pairs each time i need to move up and have a bunch of stuff sitting around i won't need anymore. i'm pretty sure ive seen things like this before, but i'm having a hard time searching for them online since i dont know what they would be called. thanks in advance!
Lee Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #2  
Mel

Yup, they are called adjustable dumbbells. There are a variety of types. The newest ones are by Bowflex and you click on some buttons and plates come off or go back on. They aren't cheap, but they sure take less space than a whole set. There are also simpler small bars where you use a wing nut type collar to hold small plates onto the bar, but they really are a PITA to constantly change plates for each different exercise.

They probably aren't something you want to buy online because of the shipping costs. Do you have a local Dicks Sporting Goods or Sports Authority? I know that they carry them.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I bought some adjustables (add plates) at Walmart and they were pretty cheap. I just add plates and lift. I agree they are a PITA to change though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

adjustable! that word was on the tip of my tongue and i just couldn't think of what i wanted! i wasn't really planning on buying them online, i was looking at online catalogs of stores near me. thanks bunches!
Lee Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #5  

Got mine at Walmart too. I'd definitely recommend making sure that it is easy to switch plates. The "collars" on mine screw on and it's time consuming and irritating when I'm trying to keep my heart rate up.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

A member here bought Versabelles at Walmart and think she got free shipping somehow bc of how much she spent. They are like the bowflex type, easier to adjust, but not as expensive. No screwing on of fly nuts and taking plates on and off.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote