Old 04-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #1  

Default Who do you tell your real weight to?

My hubby loves me dearly and supports me 100% but I cannot for the life of me tell him what my weight is. He knows I'm on this site...he has access to my charts and logs so I know he can very easily find out how much I weigh... but for some reason I can't actually say the words to him.

I keep thinking that if I can just spit it out it will be so liberating, and he has told me time and again...tell me or don't...its not a big deal to me either way.

So - does anyone else have this problem? Any advice to overcome?
chunkalunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My hubby loves me too. Loved me when we met at 135 lbs. Loved me when I was 287 lbs. And of course he loves me now. And is very, very proud of me. But I also can't bear to tell him my actual numbers. I know full well that he wouldn't care either. But I can't bring myself to do it.

The only ones who know my weight are my doctors and you guys here at 3FC. That was extremely liberating to me, to be able to post my weight and talk about it so freely and openly here at 3FC. That's more then enough liberation for me.

Another thing, knowing my hubby IF I did tell him my starting weight, I have no doubt he would say something to his friends like "Robin's lost over 120 lbs." He has a tendency to say things to people that he shouldn't. He even asked me a few times and I told him there was no way I was going to tell him because his mouth sometimes runneth over and he was like, "Yeah, you better not tell me."
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #3  

My husband doesn't know my weight. I was in the hospital recently (bad reaction to medication and ended up with extremely low blood pressure-not fun...) anyway, one of the doctors asked me in front of my husband how much I weigh. I lied and said "I don't know." Since I couldn't stand up without feeling like I was going to pass out, I figured they weren't going to drag me to a scale! I'm too embarrassed to tell him.

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #4  
Future Skinny Teacher!!

S/C/G: 287/238/155

Height: 5'8.5"

The only people who know my weight is...well....you guys. My husband is loving and supportive but I just can't tell him. He love me for who I am I know, he has only said how beautiful I am at any time no matter what I weighed or looked like. I just can't tell him.
Chunky Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Ha, for awhile, I didn't even tell ME my weight (refused to get on the scale - classic Ostrich, I didn't WANT to know).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Well I guess I am the odd man out because I tell my DH what I weigh. I told him at my top weight (which was about 280) and I tell him today as well. I also tell most people (all my family, my good friends) how much weight I've lost, and how much I want to lose overall, and what my goal weight is. Then it's up to them to do the math.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

I am with Liz - everyone I know knows! I've never been one to keep quiet.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #8  

Well - its good to know I'm not alone, but I'd love to be like Mrs. Q and Sept...

Maybe once I start to lose weight I'll feel more comfortable sharing? I suppose its "shame?" that keeps me from speaking up...

This came up just yesteday when my hubby and I went lap swimming...he told me he had weighed himself in the locker room and it was 3 lbs less than our scale at home which made him only at 217 at the gym. I also had weighed myself in the locker room and told him that it was also 3 lbs less so maybe our home scale was wrong? Anyhow...it was very noticable that I left out what it changed my weight to...he never says anything to me, but I think it hurts his feelings a little that I won't share?!
chunkalunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #9  
One Day at a Time

Height: 5' 4"

I can't bring myself to say it either. Years ago, I would go in the bathroom and weigh in front of him and I even put a little ticker on the scales and anyone could see what I weighed. Those days are OVER. I did not even weigh for a year until recently because I did not really want to know. Once I did, I could not even bring myself to tell my Mom, and I usually tell her everything! I report it to my counselor each week, and it feels really strange to say it out loud. I have to find me a private spot least someone hear me!

You guys are so right, it is very liberating to be able to say it and not have any fear of being judged as we are all here for the same reason. The funny thing is, I probably look what I weigh and I am not fooling anyone. I had a doctor's appointment once when it was very busy, and he just took a stab at what I weighed and wrote it down rather than weigh me. He was within 2 pounds!!!!!!! That was weird. I also don't want to ever become one of those women who goes around bragging to everyone what I weigh once it is something to brag about either. (If that day ever comes!)

Last edited by houseelf; 04-26-2007 at 07:12 PM.
houseelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #10  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Heh. I have a feeling I might become one of those women. I know it's awful, but I would just love to be like, oh yah I'm 135 and I look gooooood.

As for who knows, my mom is the only one I've actually said "212" to, etc. Everyone else I've told my goal and how much I have to lose. Then I'm sure they do the math.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #11  
missaprylj

Yeah... I don't tell *anyone* Except for ya'll. It's kinda funny... don't you think people can kind of guess?

Well, maybe not... I have had people (my very dearest friends) guess my weight before saying they were being EXTREMELY honest and way-undershot it... or when I tell them I'm trying to lose "like 60 pounds or more" they're all like, "Oh my God, no, Apryl that's too much!" I think it's part that they have no concept of that much weight, but also, it just shows how different people look at different weights. Think about all the different weights here and what sizes they wear! So much variation.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/195/150

Before I started my plan to lose weight, I ended up having my DF ask me what I weighed. The truth was, I wasn't sure. At first I refused to tell him. Then I realized I was in denial that I was overweight... Then we both weighed ourselves and I was heavier than him! He's 6'. So from that moment I decided to start my weight loss journey.
Deeny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I get that a lot too, apryl. I tell people I want to lose 20 or 30 more, and they act all shocked like I'm going to be a skeleton then. I'll be in the 160s, for God's sake!

I don't tell people my starting weight, except for you guys and my best friend. I finally told my sisters, brother, and mom, but I'm not sure why. I tell everyone I've lost 85 pounds, so I guess they could do the math and figure things out anyway. I still haven't been able to bring myself to say it to my husband even though he knows how much I've lost. He doesn't know I weigh 190 now (STILL more than he weighs...sigh...)

When I'm finally at goal, I'll probably stand on my roof and shout to everyone who will listen that I used to weigh 275 pounds!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/241/170

Height: 5'6

These stories really hit home. You all are the only ones that know my weight. I know my dh would be very understanding and would not say anything negative However, I just can't imagine telling him. I think I would be humiliated..I don't know.
Karen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

i never really had a problem telling people. i tell my mom constantly but shes my weight loss buddy.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote