Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #1  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Question Sneaker recommendation?

Does anyone out there have a recommendation for sneakers? I purchased a pair (Avia 6757) about 6 weeks ago and basically only wear them at the gym. They started out great - very comfortable and supportive. Recently, however, my feet are absolutely killing me after about 10 minutes. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

here's my recommendation..and i have the same problem you do with shoes. Go to a good running store and have your gait analyzed (i find this helps even if you aren't running). It will show if you roll you foot or if you have a normal gait. Then have your foot properly measured. Shoes from these stores usually cost a bit more...but i find its highly worth the cost...i can't tell you how many shoes i've bought on sale for 40-60$ that after a few times i can't wear them anymore. It really does help to have someone look at how you walk. I haven't been sorry everytime i've got to the running store and have them watch me walk and try on several shoes and then pay a bit more. Worth every penny extra.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I love my Asic Crosstraining shoes. I have the ones with the gel in the bottom and they are so comfortable. I didn't need any breaking in or anything. These are similar to the ones that I have but I got them and DSW Shoe Wearhouse and they were like $50.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 PM   #4  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

New Balance all the way
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love my Saucony shoes They never let me down.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I'm another fan of New Balance. Last semester was my first at college, and my feet were absolutely KILLING me from walking around campus all day. I bought some New Balance shoes (I believe they were model 992 in cool grey), never had a problem since. Given, they were a bit more pricey than most other sports shoes that I saw, but they also haven't let me down after a few days of heavy walking like other shoes. I just looked at them on Zappos and they have them listed for $124. It sounds like a good idea to go to the running store though. I might have to try that next time I'm in the market for a shoe, which hopefully will be a long, long time from now. Haha.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

New Balance.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #8  
missaprylj

I just bought myself a pair of Nike running shoes.. my first ever pair of shoes that cost more than $20 (about $50) at famous footwear online and they are *awesome* I want to buy another pair so that I have an everyday pair and a workout pair.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:40 AM   #9  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I love my Saucony shoes They never let me down.
Same here Nelie!! I love mine. I used them for the gym and actually used them to climb the Ankgor Temples in Cambodia. They are still great!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/156/143

Height: 177 cm (5ft10in)

if you have wider than average feet or flat feet go with new balance. If you have narrow feet stay away from new balance and schechers shoes. (and anything from Payless stores) All these brands sell "average" that is a lie and is in between an average and a wide.

....I spend ALOT of time measuring shoes with a shoe ruler in width and length.

I personally have asics and I love them. I had to call the asics company and special order my pair because America is just bizarrre and thinks my size doesnt exist (US size 10.5 [270 mm inside])
But I do love them. If you have a slightly flat foot, the arch may be the problem in these for you.

Asics/Nike are bad for anybody that doesnt have a noticable foot arch.

Before I got my asics I used to wear Reebok. They're good if you don't have a really high arch but you have average or narrow width feet.
lewelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I wear a brand called Ryka. I bought these at Sports Authority after trying on 6 or 7 different brands of walking shoes. I used to love Nike, but I've found that they are too narrow for me now that I've gotten heavier. Other than feeling amazing, the other thing I like about the Ryka shoes is that they are only made for women and part of the proceeds supports women's issues and charities...a nice little plus.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

I have tried 3 pairs recently ( NewBalance, Adidas and Ecco) The Ecco's win IMO hands down. The next on the list is the Adidas, the NewBalance are not comfortable at all for my feet - I wish I could get my money back from them. I suggest going and trying on several different brands and walk around the store for a while with them on then make the decision as to which ones feel best for your feet!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #13  

ALL major sports shoes brands make good shoes. That doesn't mean that they make shoes that will work for your feet. (<a href="http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/search/search-product-list.jsp?browse=true&id=cat210007&_requestid=18156 ">Here</a>, for example, is Asics's cross-training shoe line for women: Seven different shoes at Road Runner Sports, and other shops may carry even more. RRS has 13 women's cross-training shoes from New Balance, too. You get the idea.) Get fitted professionally. You've already begun to discover what can happen with the wrong shoes for you.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I actually have problems with New Balance. I have wide feet but for some reason their shoes don't fit me right. I agree that getting fitted could help a lot and also trying out different shoes.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Just an FYI - of the 3 pairs I have the NewBalance ones came from a specialty shoe store that they supposedly knew what they were doing. The Adidas came from Kohl's (fitted myself) and the Ecco came from a specialty shoe store where they really took their time with how my feet and the shoe worked. So even though you go to the "specialty" shoe store, don't just take the yuppie salesperson's word for it, WEAR the shoe for a little while in the store before making your decision.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote