Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation An insane case of Thirsty

Oh. Meh. Gawd. I have developed this insane case of thirsty lately! And by lately I mean the past day and a half.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else...I used to basically live in a perpetual state of dehydration, and it didn't bother me too much because I was used to it. But the past week or so, I've been keeping this pretty blue 20-oz bottle on my desk next to my computer, taking it with me to class, etc. I fill it on average at least two times a day, more often three, sometimes four. WAY more than I used to drink, although I know it's nothing compared to some of you guys!

But today, I kept putting off refilling my bottle. And I FELT so incredibly thirsty the whole evening, it was insane. I came back upstairs after I finished everything for the night, and chugged half of the mostly-full bottle in one go, and have been continuing to sip for the past twenty minutes, and I'm still thirsty!

Is this normal? I mean, does the body adjust to being hydrated and suddenly start bugging you if you don't keep it up? Because I used to LIVE like this (like I was this evening) and it never bothered me, but it's driving me crazy now and will until I manage to slake my thirst with another bottle probably.

Geh. Biology is strange.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

i dont mean to scare you but reading your post reminded one of the signs of diabetes.
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Do you smoke? Or drink a lot of coffee? I do both of these things and I am incredibly thirsty all the time. I drink at least 8 pints of water a day to keep up with my thirst.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 AM   #4  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I thought diabetes too from the title of your post until I read it. My brother was the same as you. He could seriously go the whole day on one cup of coffee. He started drinking water and now he can't stop - like the flood gates have been opened or something.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:51 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's more normal to be thirsty than not thirsty. I think that following a weight loss program may increase thirst. Keep drinking that water! Refill that bottle!

If there is any chance you may be developing diabetes, go to your doctor and ask to be tested, just to rule that out.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Hmm, diabetes didn't leap to my mind-- I just figured that since your body was used to being dehydrated you didn't notice it (it was just "normal"), and now that your body is used to being hydrated it can tell more easily if you need water. So drink up, me hearties!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #7  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

This happens to me as well. I`m currently thirsty. I don`t have diabetes. But if I don`t have at least 4 liters of water a day my pee looks like tea, and that`s bad. I say rule out any problems and drink away. In a couple of weeks your skin will look great (I no longer use any moistureizers), you won`t pee as often, and something else good that comes out of drinking a lot of water. I can´t think of it now. Blah...
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #8  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Hey Nik! I was just like you until about a month ago. I never even knew I was dehydrated. I like water and it's always been my liquid of choice when thirsty but I just never drank nearly as much as I should have been. I upped my water intake to 64oz - 80oz per day about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The first few weeks I was constantly thirsty! My daughter kept calling me a camel. Eating salty foods - like ham or something - would make it even worse. When I don't drink enough (running around and forgetting to take the water bottle w/me) I really, really notice it. Just keep drinking and you will level out on the thirst. BTW, my wrinkles are much less "wrinkly" now and former "crevices" are now just lines.

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #9  
Resident Witchling

I'm not worried about diabetes - I have no other potential signs of it or anything - I was just wondering if this was an adjustment period or what. I guess it is; better keep up on the water, then!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #10  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

When my aunt and sister lost large amounts of weight, they both said that when you have started drinking more water that your body gets used to it and starts craving it to where you feel dehydrated if you go a day without drinking much.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I am not diabetic, I don't smoke, or drink a lot of coffee (one cup in the morning as I'm readying for work) and I drink pretty much water all day... usually about four 32oz jugs PER DAY. Sometimes more!

I think it's just a matter of individualism, like most things.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i think you are just getting used to drinking enough. I walked around in a perpetual state of dehydration... now that i drink THREE QUARTS of water a day I'm rarely without my bottle and i am always taking a swig or two... i used to not wake up thirsty now i do.....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I am not diabetic, but it runs in my family (Sister has type 1 and grandfather had type 2). Anyway, I know the warning signs so a few years ago when I suddenly became RAVENOUSLY THIRSTY, I was scared! Turns out it was a medical condition, but not diabetes. I was pregnant!!!!

Nowadays, when I get really tired in the afternoon, it is usually because I have not had enough water during the day. When I'm at work, I always have a bottle with me at my desk, but on the weekends, I often forget.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #14  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I don't know if it will help, but it may indeed be just that you're getting used to drink more. I've never been a "small" drinker, but a few years later, when I hooked up with my then-boyfriend, he had the habit of taking a bottle of water with him when we went to bed, and I soon did the same (something I wouldn't do before). Now I'm so used to drink before bed and right after getting up (not to mention a sip or two during the night if I wake up) that I can't go without that bottle anymore. So maybe it's just that for you? You had less than in the past two weeks, since you didn't refill your bottle as often, and your body wants more.

(And I know thirst can be a symptom of diabetes, too, but doesn't it have to last for more than just 1-2 days to become a sure sign?)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #15  
Resident Witchling

That's so funny...I've just taken to keeping the bottle on my bedside table at night, actually. That thing pretty much goes with me everywhere these days.