Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #1  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Trickery at the Wal-Mart..

I was just wondering if any of you guys use little elements of trickery to get your self moving more in everyday situations..like shopping at Wal-Mart.

I am one of those people that gets EVERYTHING from Wal-Mart since it is the only big store in our small little town. I always make sure I park on the opposite side of the store from where I know everything I need is (Most Super Wal-Marts have an entrance for groceries, and an entrance for the other stuff). Once in the store, I get the things I need from the opposite side of the store that I came in, then go back to the other side to pick up the other stuff I need, then go back to the middle of the store to get anything I need there. Basically I run around the store in the LEAST time efficient way possible to make sure I walk to the fullest LOL.

Anyone else try to trick themselves into moving more? (Well it's not really trickery since I do it on purpose..but..you get the point)
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Not quite trickery, but when I have the time I walk from class to class across the (medium-sized and VERY HILLY) campus. When I go downtown, I double-help myself by parking at the Trader Joe's lot a street away from "downtown" - it's good cause it makes me walk a bit farther, and also the parking is free and there's plenty of it, unlike in downtown.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:44 AM   #3  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

We just built a cardio theater at the gym where I work. I can watch nearly a whole movie while I work out!
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #4  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Yup...I ALWAYS:

1) Park as far away as humanely possible...even in the bitter cold.

2) Return my cart to the proper place, even to the store if it isn't too cold.

3) Take the stairs.

4) Pace when I am on the phone.

5) Walk for the hour that any of my foster kids has a therapy appointment.

6) Walk up and down every single aisle of the store regardless of whether I need something in that aisle or not.

7) Walk to the library, post office, drug store etc....as long as it isn't freezing cold.

8) Refuse to sit down during the day until at least noon...I get alot accomplished with this rule.

I figure every little trick helps.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #5  

Whenever I feel restless but don't want to actually do specific exercise, I'll drive to the Wal-Mart, the Target, the Whole Foods, or some other similarly large store. I park far away and leave my money at home. Then I just walk through the aisles, noticing things I've never noticed before, looking at movies, clothes, anything. It's fake exercise but it gets me moving
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

I actually just started this one. If I have extra time in the morning rather then sitting around my apartment I walk leave to walk to school. Then when I am almost there I look at the clock and if I have extra time I walk around the block.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

We always park far away when we go anywhere...

I'd be kinda scared to cover that much ground in Walmart - the more I am in there the more crap I buy. I usually run in and run out and keep my head down *LOL*
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I do this all the time.
1. I take the lightrail and have been known to frequently get on or off 2 or more stops past my own.

2. I think of reasons to run to my locker, which is on one side of campus and back to the other side (usually where classes or administrative offices are).

3. Being without a car (or just not driving the one I have), I have discovered how truly close to things I am. Where I would've driven somehwere before, I now see how ridiculous that is because it's within perfect walking distance.

Of course, when it's raining or snowing or I just don't feel like it I will come up with any excuse not to walk, but it's a really good way to get those cardio spurts in when I know I won't be able to workout.]
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #9  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

definitely~ I've started taking the stairs at work, telling myself it's just plain old silly to take the lift up to the 2nd floor. I walk to a bus stop closer to home rather than waiting 20 minutes for the bus to take me all the way home (it takes 20 minutes to walk and I really have to work it to get there on time!). I take the train every day to work and I always sit in the first carriage~ this makes me have to WALK from the first carriage all the way BACK to the stairs when we actually arrive at the station!

I'm just moving as much as I possibly can now. Even if it's not a "full" workout, it definitely counts for something! Also, I haven't lost any weight (I'm coming off of my anti-dep's) BUT I had to buy a size smaller jeans and I'm SURE it has something to do with all the movement I've been doing this past 6 weeks!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #10  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Congrats on the NSV Velveteen
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

thanks sockmonkey!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #12  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

very good idea however the walmart in my town is not the place to do that because i wouldn't doubt if the entire population of 30,000 is there at one time and you cannot get form one end of the store to the other with out getting cut off, bumped into or anything else for that matter. n bacasically rudeness. other stores i do almost the samething walk the outside the middle then one more trip around the out side.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote