Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 AM   #1  
Pudgy Mommy

S/C/G: 234/209/140lbs.

Height: 5ft.2inches

Default Miette

Hi everybody,

I'm Miette and I'm new here. I've joined 3chicks because I'm looking for some support as I continue to fight weight gain. I'm diagnosed with PTSD and Depression/Anxiety as well as PCOS and Diabetes. I also recently underwent surgery for chronic menorrhagia and had a hysterectomy. My meds help with the depression and PTSD but they also prevent me from losing weight... I started gaining massive amounts of weight when they first started me on meds and now I'm finding it really hard to get off. I take:
Effexor (anti-dep)
Risperdal (anti-psych)
Vallergan (anti-histimine)
Imovane (sleep aid)
and Vival, if I need it
Glucophaga (for diabetes)

My therapist and I have been talking about asking the psychiatrist to back off on the meds, but at the moment, it's kind of a high risk so I'm stuck on them for the time being. Anyone else having a really hard time losing weight while on these meds?

I think about food/weight constantly. My life seems totally overrun with counting carbs, counting calories, measuring my blood sugar, measuring my waist..etc. It's become somewhat of a nightmare! I can't stand to see myself in the mirror, but I'm always looking to see if I can tell that I've gained or lost any weight since last time. I'm to the point where I feel very much out of control with all of this and I'm really desperate to get it all under control.

Thanks for reading,
-Miette
Miette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #2  
NEVER Give Up:)

S/C/G: 260**212**160

Height: 5' 4"

Hello!

Well you have lost 25 pounds so far and that's great, congratulations!! I don't take any of the meds that you do, but I'm hypothyroid so I have to deal with this on a daily basis, where my sister isn't and she loses weight so much faster than I do and it's very frustrating. I had lost 40 pounds two years ago before my hysterectomy, but after surgery, I have gained 20 pounds back. Hopefully your doctor will be able to start slowly taking you off some of the meds. You have done so good with the 25 pounds and just think, you're almost in ONEDERLAND! I too let me life be consumed by weightloss, it's on my mind every morning when I wake up and before I go to bed at night. Coming here for support is great and the people are so helpful.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey! Welcome!

The only med on your list that I have been on is risperdal, and boy, I think that I gained at least 30lbs on that sucker. But, that is not to say that you can't lose weight on it. I am sure that if you are conciensious (sp) then you will be able to take some unwanted lbs off!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #4  
Goddess

S/C/G: 244.6/212.8/135

Height: 5'1/2"

Hello!

I haven't taken any of the drugs that you are on but I have taken several cocktails myself. I have bipolar disorder and have been on Anti-depressants for 13 years and on Anti-psychotics for the past 3 or 4 years. One word of advice about going off of meds...go slowly. Don't rush off of them. When I was 21 I went off of my meds 100%. It took about 2-3 months but it was gradual and I felt that I could manage it. I stayed off for 2 years before my bipolar started to act up. I have tried to go off meds on my own before and found myself running back to the meds because I feel so crappy. Slow and steady wins the race, just like with weight loss. Definately talk to your doctor though.

Good luck with everything!
SlimmingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/187/145

Height: 5'03

Hey Miette, My name is Paula. I am here for you if you ever need to talk. You can pm me anytime. I take effexor and it hasn't really made me gain. I have made myself gain, making bad choices. However my daughter took Risperdal and she went from like 100 lbs to 180 in just a matter of a year or so. You will get it all under control. Its hard, I know. You and your therapist will work out the problems. But you have lots of support here. You are in my thoughts and my prayers. Everything is going to be great, you'll see!!! Nice to meet you! -Paula
pacemomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote