Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #1  

Default Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Hi all,

I finally found Tofu Shirataki Noodles at a market fairly near to where I work. If the label is to be believed then the whole package, an eight ounce serving, is 40 calories. I've never been a huge fan of pasta, but it should be a nice change of pace and I look forward to using them. I bought two packages each of the spaghetti and fettucini shapes.

A couple of basic questions. The exp date was May 28, suggesting that these things as packaged last about two months. Anyone know if this might be true? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for using these things? I'm going to use some as a landing spot for spaghetti sauce later this week, but I'm open to trying more adventurous things as well. Recipes or links to the same would be appreciated!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #2  
a new me

S/C/G: 200/192/145

Height: 5'2"

Hey I just bought some of these this weekend. The guy at whole foods suggested that I put them in some stir fry. I've got some veggies to use up, so I think I'll try it. Let me know how yours turns out.
lovemacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #3  

I love these buggers. I've kept packs in the fridge for several months with no problems. I buy a bunch when they are on sale at Safeway for half price since they can get rather pricey otherwise.

The Shirataki web site http://www.house-foods.com/ has lots of recipes for these so that would bw a good place to start. I've just used them in stir fries mostly so far but glancing at those recipes, some look interesting
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I may have to try them. The fettuccine noodles look awesome.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I tried the Hungry-Girl Fettucine Alfredo (http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chew....php?isid=1021) and it was pretty good. I'm not sure it really compared to real fettucine alfredo, but it was still good. I think I put shrimp in it or some time of veggie, I can't remember now. The noodles did end up a little watery.

I think the shirataki noodles would taste better in Asian-style noodle dishes rather than Italian-style. Sadly, my Safeway doesn't carry the fettucine-style noodles, which might make the Italian-style recipes a little more palatable to me.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I eat them in stir-fries sometimes, but I really don't know that they'd be good in anything other than an Asian inspired type dish. The noodles are pretty rubbery textured and to me, just not the right consistency for anything Italian. I usually just slurp them down mostly whole because they're pretty hard to chew. That might just be me though... haha.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #7  
Just Me

If I buy them, I'll probably use them for an asian type dish. I'm a bit strange in that spaghetti noodles and other long round noodles make me gag. I can eat a couple but then I start gagging. It's always been like that for some reason.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I think the shirataki noodles would taste better in Asian-style noodle dishes rather than Italian-style. Sadly, my Safeway doesn't carry the fettucine-style noodles, which might make the Italian-style recipes a little more palatable to me.

Barbara, I've found the fettucine ones at Trader Joe's, from time to time. Really hit and miss though. I've seen them three weeks in a row and then they've been gone for a month and a half.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:03 AM   #9  

I am still looking for these locally and can't find them so will have to order online.
I have found a few recipes in a magazine and will get them posted to my blog once I try them.
Judy
judyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #10  

I tried them a few days ago. I made a spicy spaghetti sauce with meat to go with. They had a bit of a faint, odd smell right out of the package, but that went away quickly when I boiled them in vinegared water (about a tablespoon of vinegar in a medium pot of water) for a couple of minutes. They were sorta rubbery, but not unpleasant. Quite bland, which was fine since the sauce I made was so flavorful.

I ate the whole package, or 40 calories worth of the noodles according to the lable. It was a huge serving, and I was stuffed at the end. I could tell I wasn't eating normal noodles, but while different, they weren't worse than the normal kind. Can these things really be that low in calories?

I think I have a new staple now.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #11  
Just Me

I just bought them at Whole Foods yesterday. I don't know how I'm going to cook them yet but I think I need to go find some stir fry veggies
Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #12  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Learning about these noodles has changed my life. Seriously. I ate them the other day, and while not exactly the same, they're a great subsitute. I am such a pasta freak, so knowing I can have a nice big serving for like 40 calories and virtually no carbs?! AMAZING. The downside is no one in my area sells them; I had to drive over an hour to the closest Whole Foods to buy a couple of bags to try. But know I know they're good, you best believe I'm gonna be nagging my local heathly foods store to order some!!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I like putting them in Miso soup instead of tofu. I think if you use them in a non-Asian application you should RINSE WELL! Other wise they might have an unappetizing aroma.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #14  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

I've been hearing SO MUCH about these noodles, but haven't seen anyone in Canada talking about them. Does anyone know if they're sold here at all?
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I was just going to ask the same question!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote