Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/166.5/139

Unhappy help appreciated

hiya i need ur help desperately please,i seem to be losing my weight but for the life of me i cant seem to shift it from my hips and thighs and i look bottom heavy,its really gettin me down,i want to look good especially with the warmer weather comin,i got a bikini i bought but i look terrible in it,can u please help me
many thanks
jane76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Jane,
Some of us store fat in various places and you may store yours on the bottom. If you continue losing weight, your hips and thighs will also lose weight. Continue doing what you are doing
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/152.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on buying a bikini! I have been shopping for one recently but I am too chicken to buy one. That is my goal this summer. Wear a two piece for the first time in my adult life!

I am bottom heavy as well. I do a LOT of squats and lunges and that seems to help. I am into anything that tones the legs and abs.
AllyCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

As another very bottom heavy chica, I know from experience that while different leg workouts can help build muscle and tone that area, weight loss CAN'T be centralized like that. You've gotta just keep losing pounds and hope that eventually you'll see a difference!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

As a W.W. counsellor told my friend "Honey, you can change your weight, but you can't change your shape." I'm like that too - I could starve myself down to 100 pounds (well really I couldn't, but if I could), but I'd still have a shapely, voluptuous bum. (Trying to frame it in positive terms. Thank God for Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce.)

Also, looking at your profile, you are still very early in your weight loss. Not that I'm trying to belittle what you've accomplished - it's great, and keep up the good work! It's just that I think you would need to lose more weight to see a visible difference in any part of your body. But keep it up, and you will, though the loss will be proportional, spread over your entire body.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

It is true that it's hard, if not impossible, to change your overall shape. I was a pear shape at 150 lbs and I'm still a pear shape at 120 lbs. But I'm a much more attractive pear shape now than I was at 150 lbs. And proportionally, I'm not as dramatic a pear as I was 150 lbs. At my highest weight, my bottom half was at least two, possibly three, sizes larger than my top half. Now it is only one size larger than my top half. That's much more workable in terms of clothing and not nearly as noticeable a difference.

So I'm with Janie (for the second time today, I guess great minds think alike). Give it time and eventually you'll lose weight in your hips and thighs (as well as the rest of you). Just keep on doing what you are doing in terms of diet and as you get closer to your goal, you will be happier with how you look.

In the meantime, take that unflattering swimsuit back (just say "no" to unflattering swimsuits) and invest in a swimsuit designed to draw attention to your upper body and away from your hips. Several online retailers (Lands End, Eddie Bauer, and LL Bean, to name a few) provide guidance on what type of swimsuit is best for your body shape.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

yup, your shape is your shape but it gets to be a better shape. I'm an upside-down pear.

When I started this journey my sizes were a relatively proportional
blouse- 16/18
waist - 18/20
hip - 14
(43.5-37-43)
my hips are shrinking faster than the rest of me, now I am a :
blouse- 14
waist - 8/10
hip - 2/4 (!!!!) glad to know something on me is a 2/4 although I doubt my thighs would agree

(40/29/36) - I guess that means I have a brickhouse foundation

I am now very disproportionate, but I will take a disproportionate 138 over a proportionate 182 any day and I am sure I look better in a swimsuit regardless

Last edited by ennay; 04-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

My thighs would always be the thickest part of my body, and my waist stops getting smaller at a certain point. I was talking to myself the other day, how could I possible get rid of these stubby legs and then it occured to me, that even at my thinnest, nothing had changed my legs. I lost a lot around the chest area and it didn't look very attractive. And thats when i realized, I guess I'd just have to love my stubby legs and learn to live with them. After all, they help me get from point A to point B, play sports and exercise. Better legs than no legs, right?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote