Old 04-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #1  

Default This is bad...lost 2 pounds in one day -_-;

Hi,

I'm kind of concerned that I lost that much weight fast, while it did happen in the past but I promised myself a steady weightloss and I woved to not lose any muscle! However I wondered if it's becuase I ate too little yesterday? I basically eat every three hours, eat everything in moderation because I know that if I don't eat something sweet throught the day I'll crash since I'm very active. Oh and I have this scale that also calculates your fat percentage and water weight. These are the stats.

04/06/2007: Weight: 148.6 lbs
Fat%: 25.0%
WaterW: 53.5%

04/07/2007: Weight: 145.8
Fat%: 24.1%
WaterW: 54.2%

Ok and this is basically how my day looked like yesterday:

10:30 Breakfast: Apple
2 slices of full grain bread with peanut butter
a 75cl bottle of water

11:30-13:30 Went cycling, took a wrong turn got lost in the dunes which are very far from where I live and returned home.

13:30 had a sugared waffle as a snack and a glass of orange juice. It's around 55g.

14:30 15 min cycling to town to finish my homework at the library

17:00 Another 15 to get home and started making dinner. I made penne with tuna in tomato sauce. I used 5 small tomatoes (they are bigger then cherry tomatoes but smaller then the regular ones) 2 carrots, 4 mushrooms, 1 small onion, handful of raisins and around 35 gr of canned tuna. I also cooked around 2 handfuls of penne (I always fill the bowl I use for eating around 1/3 in order to get a full bowl when done cooking).
I also ate a little sugar chick they sell in Holland during easter. (it was disgusting)
Drank another 75cl of water.

21:00 Finished the day by eating a chocolate easter egg and did around 20 min of yoga and stretching.

I did feel hungry later in the evening even after eating that easter egg but I didn't pay attention cause I had another 100 pages to finish before bedtime.

I really wonder how many cals I consumed (probably too little) and if someone could help me to add more cals to my diet because I want to lose weight at a rate of 2 lbs a week and NOT a DAY!

SerendipitySleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #2  

Seriously, you didn't magically lose 2lbs of fat in a day. Nor did you lose 2lbs of muscle. Don't fret.

Weight just fluctuates based on the time of day, how much water you've been drinking and retaining, what you're wearing, wet/dry hair, whether you've been to the bathroom, time of month (for the ladies)... basically, there are many factors involved!

Even using body fat and water % scales... they're never completely accurate. Use them as guidelines within a few percent. I mean, see what kind of a range its in now and look at how things are a few months down the track. I've found my weight ranges by about 5lbs over the course of any one day. However, now I see that my highs are consistently 10lbs lower than three months ago and my lows are consistently lower by 10lbs. That's why I know I've lost 10lbs! Daily fluctuations are so misleading. Also, look at the posts in the weight lifters forum - lowering your body fat by even 1% is hard work and you didn't do that based on your actions yesterday!
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:29 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It seems to me like you're eating a lot of sugar. Chocolate, raisins, peanut butter, waffles and orange juice. That for me, and yes we are all different, keeps the cravings coming on and then invites me to eat even more, hence going off plan. For me, I need to keep it to a bare minimum or not at all. I also feel just plain old lousy from it. I would be a wreck if I ate that much sugar. But of course, we are all different. But you're just not getting enough nutrients from it, IMO. All right the peanut butter has some protein and the OJ has some vitamin C, but neverthelss.

I really don't see much vegetables there, which is essential, your body needs the nutrients and fiber. Or protein. How about a fat free yogurt for a snack or some cut up veggies with a tbsp. of hummus, or some strawberries and blueberries. Breakfast, high fiber cereal and some skim milk. Or replace that apple with an egg white omlette. Lunch a big salad with a piece of broiled fish, or grilled chicken. Dinner lots of veggies with another protein. It's really not all about calories. They really do have to be high quality ones. This is what your body needs and IMO will keep the cravings down and help you to stick to your plan - forever.

Why not try tracking your calories in Fitday.com for a few days so you can see exactly how many calories and what kind you are actually eating.

As far as the 2 lbs in one day, I wouldn't give it a second thought, I can go days and days of staying on plan with no weightloss, and then boom- there it is a 2 lb loss in one day.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #4  

Thanks for your replies. I'm not that worried about the 2 lbs but I am thrilled about the fact that I managed to tighten my belt to the last hole! And today I tried on the 38 jeans I bought but couldn't fit in that snuggly, and they fit perfect!

Rockinrobin I understand what you mean about the sugar thing, and me consuming lots of it. I once managed to get off sugar completely when I worked at a health food store where my job was to make 12 different kinds of smoothies from organic fruit and vegetables and I was allowed to take the remaining smoothies home after work since they were allowed to be sold 24 after making them. I lost a lot of weight back then and felt great but now that I've stopped working completely due to my study I got back on sugar, because I notice that if I don't get at least some kind of for of sugar I crash-literally.

Also I eat around 4-6 servings of veggies a day: broccolli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, lettuce, cabbage, white radish are always in my fridge but yesterday I was too busy to make a salad. The main problem is protein, I eat fish every day usually salmon or tuna, but I'm not big on meat or eggs and you won't find me pigging out on cheese either. I dislike milk and sometimes drink skim buttermilk and rarely eat yoghurt.

I'll take your advice and make a healthy lunch out of that waffle snack and try to incorporate more protein in my diet because the only protein I eat is 1/4th can of tuna or 2 pieces of smoked salmon with fussili.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #5  

Have you tried cottage cheese? I note you said you don't eat it much but cottage cheese is a bit different in that a lot of people seem to like it with fruit, so that and say, strawberries make a sweet snack. I prefer it with something more tangy like tomatoes, but it's more versatile than normal cheese, less fatty and good for protein.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #6  

Yes, I do like cottage cheese a lot! Thanks for the tip I'll buy some today, haven't eaten it in ages.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

If you really think you lost 2 pounds in a day, then I suggest you stop weighing yourself every day, because it seems to me you would be equally as upset if the scale had gone UP 2 pounds, and from one day to the next, that's completely normal. You can't look at your weight on a day-by-day basis--our bodies are NOT exact machines; they fluctuate constantly based on LOTS of factors (water, sodium, what is/isn't in your digestive tract, muscles, hormones...the list goes on). If you do weigh daily, you must realize that if it goes down 2 pounds in 1 day, it can just as easily go back up a bit the next day. You have to look at it over the long term--when I weighed myself every day, I recorded it in Fitday so I could look at the report for my weight over the past month to see that even though some days were losses and some days were gains, it was a general downward slope over time.

Start to be concerned if you lose 2 pounds a day EVERY day for at least a week
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipitySleeps View Post
I'll take your advice and make a healthy lunch out of that waffle snack and try to incorporate more protein in my diet because the only protein I eat is 1/4th can of tuna or 2 pieces of smoked salmon with fussili.
There are lots of protein sources besides meat and dairy. Beans, for one. Any type of bean or lentil or split pea. Black beans, soybeans, garbanzos, navy beans, etc. Fish is an excellent source, which you're already eating, so that's good.

As others have suggested, cottage cheese is a decent source. 13 grams of protein in 1/2 cup.

Some vegetables have small amounts, especially peas. Dried peas are even better than fresh or frozen, as far as protein content goes. Also whole grains provide some protein as well.

And then you have nuts. Nuts are high in protein. Almonds, cashews and peanuts have the highest amounts. But those I limit because they're also high in calories.

And don't worry about the 2 lbs. It's just normal weight fluctuation.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 AM   #9  

Thank you all so much, you've all been so supportive and given me great ideas on how to stay healthy and lose weight. I'll also try to get rid of my scale obsession and not weigh myself so often.

Also I wish eveyone a very happy easter and I also want to add that today I'm officially 22nd years old!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #10  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Serendipity! Have a good celebration and enjoy everything this new age and new lifestyle brings you