Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 03:01 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Question Can anyone answer a question for me ??

I have a question.

I have a lot of problems with my knees. Someone recommended either Glucosamine Sulfate Complex.... and/or..... Glucosamine Chondroitin.

What is the difference between the two???? Which do you prefer??
Old 11-13-2001, 12:42 PM   #2  

i think the main difference is that one has sulfer added. if you take either of them, be careful. no one talks about the risks associated with taking chondritin. my dad had a very bad reaction to the kind with sulfer, and his entire body became really difficult to move. he was in constant pain. when he stopped taking the medicine, it all went away.

when do you have knee problems? if it's just during exercise, maybe using braces can help a bit? if it's all the time, try getting an appointment with physical therapy or sports medicine or something like that. they can give you exercises and things to help with knee issues.

women are especially more prone to knee problems, cuz of the hip to knee ratio...it puts more stress somewhere on the knee, i think.

andrea
Old 11-14-2001, 02:05 AM   #3  
Dancing those pounds away

Thanks Trixi... I have found bottles of both with sulfate. Just what does the sulfate do??

I heard that Glusamine heals your joints and that Chondritin helps build new bones. But no one has said anything about Sulfate.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:00 AM   #4  

i dunno. maybe it's something that your body needs to metabolize the other stuff. i think you might be able to look at a natural herbal healing type book at the bookstore or health food store. that might give you some info.

good luck.
andrea
Old 11-14-2001, 05:39 PM   #5  

Hi. My Dr. advised me to take only Glucosomine as our body makes its own Condrotin so he says it is not needed. I have arthritis in my back and really haven't noticed a great deal of difference taking this product. I took it for over 6 months the first time and so far about 3 months. The first time I took it on my own and did both Glucosomine and Condrotin - something ended up causing me the same pain as NAIDS just took longer.
Closed Thread