Old 04-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm home!

Hello, hi everyone, I'm HOME! I had spring break last week, and during that break I went on a 10-day backpacking trip to Arizona. 35 miles, 20 of those with a 15+ lb backpack (probably substantially heavier than that, but I am horrid at gauging weight), all accomplished over three days, with two rest days in between the hiking days. Then, several days spent canoeing down the Colorado river from Hoover Dam, playing in hot springs and hiking side canyons. It was an incredibly active vacation, and I'm so glad I went. The hike out of the canyon on the third day, ten miles and the last mile uphill in horrible switchbacks, just killed me...but in a perverse way inspired me, cause I want to get to a point where I can do that hike without stopping every other switchback to catch my breath.

I got home to find out that my pet rat had died the day before - which was weird, because I dreamt her death the night before it happened, very creepy prescience thing going on here - so I went home to bury her yesterday morning early. My mom took the morning off work to be with me. I have a new rat now, haven't named her yet, but she's really cute, if still kinda scared. But the drive back to Santa Cruz yesterday...oy vey. My radiator cracked, and I ended up stranded in San Jose for almost an hour, first trying to get the car to cool enough (I didn't realize it was a cracked radiator, just thought I'd pushed too hard and my car had overheated) and then, when I realized I wasn't going to be able to go more than a block without the heat spiking again, calling AAA and trying to get a rental car to get home. Finally got it sorted, the car is at a shop there, gonna be $350 parts/labor to get it fixed, but I'll have it back and the rental car turned back in by tonight or tomorrow morning. Managed to make it home last night in time for the Passover seder that my housemate had us hosting, which was cool.

And the final news, and the best news of it all...I made it through the quarter! Checked my grades, and got an email from my advisor telling me that the Academic Standing Committee, after reviewing my work this quarter, has decided to remove probationary status and take no further action, subject to removal of one Incomplete grade, which I will have taken care of by the end of this week!!!

I was terrified, these past few weeks, that I was going to get kicked out of school entirely. I couldn't sleep, would wake up middle of the night in a panic about it...and last night, I found out, I'm NOT getting kicked out! I'm still in. It's going to be okay. I'm probably even going to get to graduate within the time frame I'd planned for! That's so incredibly relieving, you have no idea...

Anyway. I'm gonna quit blathering now. Time to do grocery shopping...I don't have anything to eat in this house. I hope everyone's been doing really well, and I'll talk to you guys later!
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #2  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Welcome back Nikia! Sorry about your pet rat. Happy that you get to stay in school!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote