Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of April 2 - 8

Welcome to the first week of April! It's Easter week, for those who celebrate ... does anyone have Easter baskets to contend with? I'm making small ones for DS and DH but the candy isn't bothering me this year. It's been so long since I've had any that it just doesn't seem tempting.

Our little kitty who's been sick turns out to have an enlarged heart with a hole in it. It's not repairable and she's probably only going to be around for a few more months. But the good news is that her meds are helping tremendously and she's playing and breathing easier again.

My gym schedule is topsy-turvy today because I have to stay home to sign for a tire delivery for DH. Hopefully they'll come early and I can get up there for a bit.

Lessismore Anne popped in right at the end of last week's thread - Anne! Good to see you again!

How's everyone else this week? Taxes done yet?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #2  

Hi ho ... just time for a drive-by posting. Hi Meg and everybody else.

Gorgeous morning here. I've been to the gym (did assisted pull ups, for the first time in ages and ages .... and ages. Felt great, although I could only do 6) and polished off a strawberry protein shake with cottage cheese and banana added. That, plus a full cup of very strong tea, and I'm raring to go.

Have a good one everybody!!
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Meg, sorry to hear that your kitty is so sick but glad she is breathing better right now.

I had the greatest NSV this morning. I was waiting on my coffee to perk and had my arms bent and looked down and I have MUSCLES. This came as a complete shock to me. I know it's from all the hard yard work and gardening that I have been doing. I was so used to my arms just looking thin and saggy, but they have a very firm muscle that is bulging now. Since my Dr. won't let me join a gym, I just didn't think it was possible for me to tone them up. Now, I'm inspired to use my little handweights and firm them even more.

I did Easter baskets last yr. but I'm not sure if I'll do them this yr. or not.

Our taxes are now done but we need to go to the tax office and sign and pick them up. I think we'll get a $6.00 refund this yr. LOL.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #4  
Meg

$6 - woo hoo! Don't spend it all in one place.

Lily, that's so cool about your muscles! (I love mine too ) There are lots of arm and shoulder exercises you can do at home with lightweight dumbbells. Let me know if you need some ideas and I can post links to little video demonstrations.

Robin, you sound on top of the world!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #5  

Good Morning All! Happy April! The sun is actually shining today, which it didn't all weekend.
I'm glad your kitty is at least feeling better Meg. And Lily, great on the arm muscles. Leesismore(Anne)-hang in there, a pound down is definitely better than a pound up. I know it's hard though, and I fully expect to find myself in the same situation. Nursing always makes me hungry!
I have six Easter baskets to get together this week. I'm sticking to just a chocolate bunny and a reese's egg for the kids and putting in other fun stuff. I'm always worried we'll make food the center of all activities (like it was in my childhood). I guess we do the best we can. I'm going to go enjoy the sun and a cup of tea. Have a great day.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #6  
lilybelle

Thanks ladies, I was excited to see I'm getting arm muscles. I feel like my endurance for hard physical labor is increasing. Yesterday my DH cut down an old walnut tree on our property and I moved all that wood and restacked it myself. (He got busy working on my son's Jeep).

Meg, I remember the arm exercises that I used to do at Mademoiselle Women's Fitness Center and I'll start with these. Thanks though. I'm gonna use my 2 lb. weights for starters.

Yesterday while mowing my fenced back yard, I had a board that my dogs had buried to pop up and hit me in my left ankle. It has a large bruise on it and a big knot. My ankle was very swollen last night and had a big sock indention on it, but it looks and feels better this morning.

My eating this weekend was totally on plan, my wt. this morning was unchanged but no gain is always a good thing.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Happy Passover to those who celebrate it, Happy Easter (in advance) to those who celebrate that one, and Happy April to everyone else!

Lily -- I was just catching up on last week's thread. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your daughter. It wasn't that long ago that I was in high school and I also had many self esteem and body image issues. I really do think that providing a good example is what will make the difference eventually. Also I think it is very important that as part of your example you never put yourself down -- if your daughter knows she can't fit in your clothes, and then hears you say something negative about your own body, she will feel even worse about hers. Maybe she's having a tough time right now but things will work out. Congrats on getting those arm muscles too!

Meg -- I'm sorry to hear about your cat, but glad she is doing a little better right now. I always get tempted by easter candy. Last year I limited myself to two Cadbury eggs and a very small chocolate bunny. I usually buy easter candy after easter because it is on clearance and dirt cheap, and by then the good stuff is gone so I'm not as tempted!

Things are going pretty well around here, I'm loving the nice weather! We have decided to make an offer on a house. Today my fiance's going to call up our realtor and ask about the process for that and figure out how much we should offer, then put it in and see what happens! The house we decided on is about 15 minutes from work. It is in a newer subdivision. This house was constructed in 2003, but the subdivision still has some new construction going on (I think there are maybe 15 lots left). It's on a cul-de-sac and the neighbors appear to all be young families, but we will probably be the youngest since they all seem to have kids who are about five years old (whereas we don't plan to have kids for about five more years). The current owners of the house are moving partially because the husband got a new job in a different location, and partially because they already have two kids and the wife is pregnant with triplets! It is a four bedroom house. The subdivision has a pool, a park with a playground, and some wooded areas and lakes with walking trails, plus they are putting in a soccer field. It's just down the street from the elementary school and middle school. Anyway, we're pretty excited about it and are hoping that we can get an offer accepted and the inspection will go okay (and that we can get the current owners to move out before our lease is up).

We also had a good sign -- right after we decided we were going to put an offer on the house there was a beautiful double rainbow! A full semi-circle, with a second rainbow just next to it. I took a picture but I haven't had a chance to upload it yet.

I'm feeling better about our Passover meal plan too. We did end up deciding to give up rice, corn, and beans, as well as the grains (although we're fudging a bit and will probably end up eating some packaged foods that have corn syrup). For the most part it's not too bad because I found a bunch of recipes for good-looking salads and potatoes and such, so I think the major challenge is breakfast. I eat cold cereal every day and my fiance eats oatmeal, so it will be a little hard to switch to matzo, eggs, and fruit. But it's only for a little over a week so I think we can handle it. Shake up the diet!!

I hope you all are having weather as good as we are! It's supposed to be sunny and 75 today. Pretty sweet!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #8  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining here making me want to go out and play. I may be able to do an afternoon run which is very unusual for me. (Usually I'm out between 6 and 7 am) I have a very shrotened evening of teaching lessons today which is a wonderful way to start a very busy Easter week. I have lots of church responsibilities this week with an added funeral to play tomorrow.

Just 1 easter basket for DH, but I simply bought a few pieces of good dark chocolate and some fancy licorice. He's getting tickets to see George Carlin at the end of April as his main basket goody.

Lily-I hope your ankle is feeling better. Congratulations on the awesome arm muscles!

Meg-Sorry to hear about your kitty. At least she's able to enjoy life more for now.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #9  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Jessica-we posted at the same time. I just wanted to wish you luck on the house offer. Your description makes it seem like a lovely place to live. Good luck.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #10  
lilybelle

Jessica, the house sounds great and I'm glad you found one that you're excited to make an offer on. Thanks for the advice on my DD. I try to never make negative comments about my body and I absolutely never make any on her body. I did notice this weekend that she did a lot of outdoor walking with her friend that had stayed over. We are going shopping for her a prom dress tomorrow and I hope she can find one that she really likes.

Brandy, thanks , my ankle does feel better today.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

I'm quite excited to say that my scale is on a downward slide! I've got a plan for the week that should allow it to continue to spiral down and I hope that it will be just a few weeks until I hit my goal. I've been so down about not losing, but now that the scale is moving again, I've re-motivated myself!

No Easter baskets here. Well, I did buy the cutest chocolate "rubber" ducky for DD, but she'll just put it on her shelf with all her other ducky things. I'll just to cards with cash for the kids.

Meg~so sorry to hear about your kitty.

Lily~good luck prom dress shopping! DD went shopping alone this weekend (if she would have asked me, I would have joined her and paid for the clothes!!). She mentioned that nothing fit her very well (she ended up only getting a few tops). She's regained all the weight she lost last summer.

Jessica~hope the sellers accept your offer on the home. It sounds like you found a winner!

To everyone else~have a wonderful day!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #12  
lilybelle

Allison my DD did the same thing. She had lost weight and regained it plus an extra few lbs. She is now wanting to "crash diet" to get weight down before prom. I don't approve of this and I know that everytime she even tries to do this, she just gets frustrated and eats even more and gains more weight. BTW, I told my DD that I had to shop for the dress with her. She had said she was going to wear her sneakers with it and I told her if that was the case that I wasn't going to spend a bunch of money on a fancy dress for her. LOL, she is now looking for new shoes too.

My 14 yr. old SD is arriving today from Las Vegas for spring break. She and I actually get along quite well and it's a joy to have her around. The only problem is she loves to bake muffins, brownies, cookies and such. I'm always more tempted to eat junk when she is staying here. I'm hoping that since she recently joined her schools swim team, that now she will be more conscious of what she is having to eat. Me or DD definitely don't need the temptation right now. Shelbey is very athletic and has always had a wt. problem but never lets it slow her down. She is 5' and weighs 180 and plays basketball, swim team and softball team. I have actually watched her eat as much as half a loaf of bread as a snack. Yikes. She is a very loveable person with a very outgoing personality. I miss her alot since she moved to Vegas last fall.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #13  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Everyone sounds like they're having a busy Monday. My morning was spent waiting around not to be called at jury duty. They let us all go half way through the lunch break.

Since I had to get up extra early, I didn't do my floor exercises until after I had a little nap after I got home. I learned I prefer to doing them first thing after I wake in the am when I don't have lunch slaushing around in my stomach.

Today's supposed to be the best weather day of the week, so I made sure to get a bike ride in. Only did two laps around the development for a total of 20 minutes. Should of done more, but at least I did something.

There will be no Easter baskets at our house. I used to be addicted to the Cadburry Eggs. Thank goodness my medicine makes chocolate taste bad. DH loves jelly beans and can easily eat a whole bag in a single sitting. His snacking and heavy cheese habit has finally caught up to him. He probably has 15-20 to lose. He's been talking about it. I just tell him, "When you're ready to lose it, you know what to do."

While I was off at jury duty, DH went down to the sailboat and painted the bottom. Usually that's my job and I was looking forward to it because it really uses my arm and stomach muscles.

Lily ~ lately, I've seen some muscle definition in my arms so I know how excited you are to see them in yours.

Allison ~ can you add a bit of walking into your day. Maybe on your lunch break? I know you detest exercise (so do I that's why I refer to what I do as 'activities', it's more palitable) but getting out and moving everyday will help make the scale go lower.

Jessica ~ if you can, try to have your closing in the beginning or middle of the month rather than the end so that you'll still have your current place for a few weeks. That way you can paint or repair what you need to in the new house.

Meg ~ do you have an occassion yet to wear your new cream silk pants to? Or maybe you need to make up a happy time ~ like going out dancing.

Robin ~ I don't think I could even do 2 pull ups. Good for you.

Lisa ~ How old are your six kids?
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #14  

Hello,
Meg, Sorry to hear about your kitty. I hope she's comfortable for a while now. I have 2 e-baskets to fill this year, one for my ds and one for my baby dd. I'm focusing on non-food treats as my ds is showing signs of being addicted to sugar, if he knows there is candy around he is constantly trying to sneak it! I'll follow Joyofsix's idea and just have one piece of candy and the rest little books or toys.

Robin, sounds like your week is off to a terrific start! Nice job doing ab work. Just having had a baby 4 months ago, I can relate to only being able to do a few ab moves. I've been very dedicated the past few weeks and am really starting to notice a difference in my strength, now I just have to work on losing the layer of chub so that I can see my muscles.

I had a great day today after a not-so-great Sunday. I let the scale results get me down and ate my way through last night Today I've had tons of veggies, more than I've eaten in a long time, plus very few carbs. That's the only way I can stay away from the dreaded sugar. We're going away at the end of the month for a weekend (just hubby & I) and I want my waist back! Of course, dd screams whenever anyone holds her except me or dh, so I'm already nervous about leaving the baby for the weekend, even though I trust my mother more than anyone. Ah, kids, you gotta love 'em!
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #15  

By the way, I love this website: http://www.whfoods.com Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and click on "How to Select the World's Healthiest Foods."

I may have learned about it here. In any case, I'm trying to buy different vegetables from the "world's healthiest foods" list. I love how this site lists all the health benefits of the foods listed. Very interesting with lots of ideas for preparation. Today I tried fennel in my salad - blah! I didn't care for it. I'll have to try it in a recipe, maybe it would be better cooked.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote