Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #1  

Default agh - stress-related uni bingeing

Agh, I feel very crap. I've been struggling with bingeing problems for awhile. last year it got quite horrible, i was travelling and at times i would completely lose control because i was trying to smother away my emotional issues with occasional loneliness, etc. since realizing my problems and returning home its gotten a lot better - i focused on being aware of what i was feeling when i get depressed, lonely and trying to deal with it more positively, or put it in perspective.
but now, i found my weak spot - stress-bingeing. ive just started university and the assignments are killing me. maybe its my own fault for putting them off for so long, but whenever i sit down to write one, my mind goes to food... i feel anxious that i havent done anything, that im not doing anything and especially that i keep eating. but i dont know how to stop! i cant pull myself out!
how do i deal with this type of bingeing? its like some kind of destructive cyclone you get trapped in. its a horrible way to be coping with stress but with all these deadlines i dont know what else to do - i dont have time to take a break and disconnect myself from my stress and put things in perspective. all i do is eat and trudge on a bit then eat and trudge on a bit and ... i feel so ashamed, any advice?
julz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #2  

Exercise!

I'm a student too and I know how it gets - especially mid-term, as it is in Australia now - when you've got piles of assignments, tests to study for and the realization that you're gonna get a lot more stressed, busy and work done before things will ease up!

However my salvation has been exercise... on the days when I don't feel like it, it makes studying look more appealing (of course, I still exercise anyway). On the days when I am looking forward to exercising, it's a reward for doing all that study! Win-win situation.

Also make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks on hand so even if you do find yourself eating when you don't -need- to, damage limitation. It might help if you also structure your day in terms of meals and study. Eg. breakfast at 9am and make yourself do three hours of work (with a break or two!) before lunch at 12.

So many people feel like you do, maybe it helps to think: I can't control the amount of work I have to do, I can control how I get it done and when. Which will cut down on stress. Also food is one thing you CAN control. If you binge, you're just making yourself more stressed and guilty and hon, that's the last thing you need right now.
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #3  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I completely understand how you are feeling. I graduated a couple years ago but would definitely binge. I feel like I did it because I was overwhelmed by the work and really didnt know where to start so I would procrastinate by bingeing.

Here are some things I would do that helped:

1. Get out of the house! Go to a coffee shop or to the library and plan your day with proper meals and snacks but without the option of walking up to the fridge whenever you want a break

2. schedule breaks: go for a walk. Run up and down the stairs at the library. meditate. You can't expect to work straight for hours. Taking a break will improve your concentration. Just don't use it to eat otherwise that guilt will definitely make you preoccupied.

3. Plan to exercise - Dont feel bad for taking time out of your day to do it. It's necessary.

I would also make a timeline for myself in the morning with breaks and limits so I didnt feel so overwhelmed. Be realistic with how much you expect to accomplish each day. I found that when I had no plan, was when I kept going to get snacks which just wasted time anyway.

The year is almost done! You can do it!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I used to binge a lot in university, too.

I know it feels like you're in a deep hole now. But good for you for identifying your stress trigger. Since you'll have plenty more assignments/papers, etc., look at ways to minimize school-related stress. For example, to this day, I'm a list/calendar person. I like a nice visual representation of all that I have to accomplish, and when it needs to be done. It helps me to prioritize.

Another point, I know that when I'm eating well, I'm more organized, focussed, and productive in other areas of my life (work, house, etc.). So eating well will quite likely HELP you to stay focussed and get your papers done. Bingeing is only going to put your further behind. By the same token, staying focussed and getting a few of those papers done should help reduce the urge to binge.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #5  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Planning is key because we make bad decisions when we're stressed! Also, maybe you can find some good non-food stress relievers, like exercise, SLEEP, NAPS, talking to friends, massage, music, etc.

One tip I have for procrastination is to procrastinate on one thing by doing another. It sounds dumb, but it works sometimes. If you really don't want to write that paper maybe you can put it off by studying for an exam.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

I agree with everyone else about taking breaks and exercising. I'm a student too and I've found for me if I really feel like I need to eat something while I'm doing work or while I'm taking a break from work a good strategy is to eat something healthy and crunchy (to help relieve stress) like microwave popcorn, baby carrots or an apple. That way you don't have to feel like you're not letting yourself eat, but you won't get sludgy and tired because you've had a big carb-heavy meal. Or if you just want something in your tummy have tea or hot chocolate that you can sip on, or some water with lemon. I totally know what you mean about just continuously getting up and hitting the fridge, but you'll find what works for you to overcome that, hang in there!
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #7  

thanks guys, i appreciate the good advice and support. i do exercise, i love it, sometimes the problem is that ill go after i wake up, before studying, and thus while im studying -afterwards- ill feel like i cant spend more time on exercise that day because i have a lot to get done. but the thing is that i would probably just spend the time procrastinating anyway-! i hate using food as escapism. just the fact you do it makes you feel bad. i guess ill just keep trying to discipline myself more.
and the assignments are DONE now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hurrah.
thanks again lovely forum-ers!
julz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote