Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Angry Feeling Mad at Myself

I am so mad at myself right now.

I honestly think I could do this very easily if I lived by myself and never went out to eat or to visit friends. When it comes to food I am so easily influenced by other people and I feel completely out of control. I had a pretty good week, I ate well (not perfect, but I felt good about it) and I did well on my exercise plan. My boyfriend was out of town and I didn't have him to influence me around dinner time. My boyfriend came back on Thursday and some of my good friends came to visit me this weekend. I had a blast with them this weekend but all we did was eat. We ate nasty unhealthy crap that just made my stomache feel horrible. There were other options but I just couldn't control myself. And the whole time I was eating it I was thinking to myself that I was going to regret it and beating myself up about it but I ate it any way. I know that it is possible to have control over this because I had control a couple of months ago. I was doing so well.. but I just fell back into a rut. I know I can get back on track again, and after this weekend, I am making a conscious decision to get back on track and be in control around my friends. BUT, the fact that I already fell back into this rut makes me scared. I'm scared that I am going to get stuck in this viscious cycle. I really felt in control and like I was actually going to do it this time a few months ago and it made me feel so good and proud of myself. But, now I'm thinking what if I never get in control what if every time I think I'm going to get in control I fall back in to my same old bad habits. It just really scares me. I had to get all of this out and I hope that there are others out there that feel the same as me. Do you guys have any tips on how to make good decisions while you are with friends that do not have a healthy life style?
Thanks for reading..
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Casey, I have the exact same problem when I'm out with friends. I feel like if they're eating all this delicious (even if it's unhealthy crap) food and I get a salad I will just feel deprived and binge later. On a good day what I try to do is order what really sounds the best to me (this might be healthy sometimes and not so healthy other times). Then if it arrives and is a huge portion I just eat half and take the rest home. Of course, if it's not a good day I'll just eat what everyone else is eating and then probably continue when I get home.
In terms of losing control don't worry. I'm having the same problem right now, I've been out of control this whole week, eating everything in sight, but I know this will pass, and I'm sure it will for you too. Just take it one day at a time, which is advice I need to take as well.
Most of all, I don't really have answers because I'm going through the exact same things, but I know just how you feel, and I think we can both overcome it.
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #3  

Thanks snowbunny, it is really good to know I can get on here and talk to people who are in the same position as me... it makes me feel less alone in this whole weight loss thing.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #4  

Default You can do it!

.......because you have already lost 10 lbs, you know how! Everytime you try again is one more opportunity to be successful. You didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight, but you are on the track of losing and you WILL succeed. Just get back on and start being good to yourself again!

Best of luck,
suerose
suerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

And the good news is, you've identified a trigger situation. So now you can consciously develop some strategies to deal with it next time. I try not to snack after dinner. But if friends are coming over, I know there'll be chips etc. So I make sure there's a fairly benign choice, so I can have something and not feel too deprived, eg. micro popcorn, rice cakes, etc. instead of chips. I actually like those substitutions better than chips. As for going out to the restaurant, maybe you can find a happy medium. I agree with Snowbunny - being totally restrictive and ordering a salad will only lead to a binge later. But instead of the nachos, maybe you could get something that's still tasty, but not quite as nasty, plan-wise, as the nachos, eg. some bruschetta, a chicken wrap, or something like that.

And try not to worry too much about the "what ifs". Just take one day at a time, have a plan for the tricky situations, and don't dwell on those little what-ifs.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #6  

Thanks you guys, the encouragement and advice really does help. I know what I need to do, it's just a matter of actually doing it. Before I go to the restaurant I need to decide what I'm going to order before I even get there and not even look at the menu... that is what has helped in the past, I just need to do it. It's a new day, a new week, and a new month... I'm going to do better!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #7  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I have this problem, too, of course! I do find it helps to figure out what I'm going to have before I get somewhere, but it is hard to stick to it. Especially when the skinny guy orders a whole pizza and 4 beers just for himself, as happened last time I went out! Of course, it was his first and only meal of the day, while I'd already had breakfast, lunch, dinner, and several snacks.

Then there are the people that try to talk you into eating more crap. Grrr. But we just have to do the best we can and if we screw up, just get right back on the wagon and keep going.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #8  

Oh!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #9  

lol... uhh I didn't mean to do that, what I was going to say is: Oh! Jman, I hate it when people try to talk you into eating crap, especially when they know you are dieting... I don't think they do it on purpose but it still bugs me.