Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Can't stop

I have been having a really rough week. I've been binging pretty much every day, for most of the day, and I just can't stop. Each day I wake up with the feeling that it's a new day and I can start over, but then as soon as I eat I can't stop. Yesterday I ate so much I thought I was going to literally explode. I have no idea what to do, so hopefully some people have had the same experience, the days of not being able to stop eating, and have some advice.
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Try to fill your day up with activities where you are away from food or are preoccupied with something else. When you feel an urge coming on try, try to hold on for a few minutes, come onto this board or do something else to see if that feeling can go away on its own.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5'8

Default I feel your pain

I starting binging tuesday. It is now sunday. I had lost over 10 pounds on the weight watchers and it was just enough to give me a boost! Ans then out of no where... the binging started. I couldn't stop. And it is sunday and I just finished 1/2 of a frosting container. Most people can't even eat the icing off of a cupcake cuz it is too rich. I just ate about 10 spoon fulls. It is so depressing to be back where I am, and my week full of activities is looking very dreadful now. I don't want people to see me. This wasn't supposed to be a sad blurb all about me. I just understand the feeling. It is awful. I can't get away from food, and I am tired strategizing of how to "start over." I am so tired of it that I gave up. My start over ideas never followed through. I don't have any advice, but I do understand. And I want to stop too. Can we stay in touch about this? I am tired of being in a rut, maybe a friend could help, and I could help them too.
Kathryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

Yeah, we can definitely stay in touch about this, and I know what you mean about starting over. I always look forward to Mondays, you know, because it's a new week, but it's hard to get on track when you're feeling so horrible. It's going to be hard for me to eat normally and get to the gym tomorrow because I'm so out of control right now and feeling so, well, disgusting. So maybe we'll both have a better day tomorrow, and we don't even need to start over, because it's just another day, one that's hopefully better than today (and yesterday, etc).
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

I know how you feel sweetie and it sucks... I know nothing we can say will help because you have to do it for yourself... but some things that help me is to get on here when I'm feeling the urge to binge, or I meditate and really think about why I want this and if I want it more than I want to eat... just some tips, I hope this week is better for you.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #6  

Height: 5ft6"

I can totally understand how you are feeling. Kathryn17 you could of taken the words out of my mouth... you perfectly described how I have felt for so long. Usually my binge episodes last 2 or 3 days before I am able to get back on track but I have been binging almost everyday for the last week and a half. I am moving on though. I too have regained the 10 pounds (or maybe more ) I worked so hard to lose. And I definately am tired of starting over. I figure I have started over nearly every week since September and I am really getting tired of it. I just want to continue, not have to go through the emotions of falling to the bottom and having to pick myself up so many times. This forum has offered me great advice and support as many people are going through the same issues.

Snowbunny2 I am really in the same position as you and I would suggest reading some of the forums about tactics others find useful to avoid a binge. I hope that tomorrow both you and I have the willpower and determination to stay on track. The first day is always the hardest and it definately gets easier with time. I am also going to try getting more excercise because not only does it make me feel great and I never want to binge afterwards, the guilt of not exercising often causes me to binge.
Goodluck!
mesilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #7  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I completely understand. Those are the times when I have to break the cycle. I usually come on here for a while to remind myself of my goals and I also stop and think about why I want to lose the weight.

I literally ask myself, is shoving the food into my mouth really going to get me to that goal or just make it harder? Remind yourself of your goals and know that you will get there. You CAN do it. Take can't out of your vocabulary. Believe in yourself and you will get there. Picture yourself at your goal and enjoy that feeling, then every time you feel yourself slipping, remember where you would rather be. We all slip sometimes, but in those moments, when you stop yourself, you are saving yourself more work later. Be proud of stopping yourself at whatever point you do because we all know it's extremely hard.

One thing I learnt about myself is that because I'm a perfectionist/OCD, slipping just a bit or having a treat would give me the urge to binge, like I failed because I had one treat. I have really been working on, not going on a "diet". Overall, I'm just planning to eat healthy and not binge or restrict too much. Eat when hungry. This is a big deal for me but I've found since I dont have "rules" I'm not enticed to binge. Sometimes I have a treat but I no longer feel guilty about it. I try to eat generally healthy and I do not have trigger foods in my house, the past has shown me that I just can't do that to myself. I figure there are tons of other opportunities outside the house to find treats and that is enough for me.

Hang in there and stay positive. A good book I read was the Taming of the Chew. It's short but great.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Bikini Dreader took the words right out of my mouth. I firmly believe that dieting is what started me on the downward spiral into bingeing. I know it's difficult, but I think we bingers need to re-focus, and stop making the number on the scale out to be the Holy Grail or something. Focus instead on eating healthy, and work toward developing a normal relationship with food. If you're really in a rut, counselling may help, but I've never had it (not that I couldn't have use it!), so can't say for sure.

Another good book that I still re-read parts of every couple of months is "Fit from Within", by Victoria Moran. She's a recovered binge-eater, so she's been there. One thing in that book that I keep in mind if I've had a slip and am trying to get back on track is "fake it till you make it". Even if I feel fat and yucky from overeating, I get up and work out, dress nicely, eat a normal breakfast, lunch, etc. You know, go through all the motions of being in control (even if I totally don't feel like I am), and eventually my head catches up with my actions.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #9  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I understand, too! Binging sucks -- it's so weird to constantly find yourself doing something you don't want to be doing. For me, I've found that the three biggest things I can do to prevent binging are:

Eating healthy the rest of the time. My danger time is at night, so if I've eaten well so far, at least I won't be starving or feeling like, well I already screwed up today, might as well binge. AND even if I do binge, at least I ate healthy the rest of the day.

Staying busy during danger times. I play sports most nights and try to set up a date with my gf on other nights. On weekends, I have to be extra careful if my gf isn't around, because I can get bored and lonely and that's big-time dangerous for me.

Keeping my depression under control. If I'm less depressed, I binge less often. It's a simple fact. Plus, it's nice not to be depressed.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212

Height: 5'11"

I work out of our home so it is so easy to just go and grab something and usally it is something sweet. Someone told me to drink a ice cold glass of water and that helps take the urge to eat. So I am giving it a try today. So for it has worked. But time will only tell. Hang in there we all will make it..
spoiledbyrlt is offline   Reply With Quote