Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #1  
Mel

Default The Chat-Check In Thread April 1 - April 15, 2007

Happy April Fools' Day! Anyone get any good practical jokes pulled on them or pulled off today?

I stayed up way too late last night, had way too much to eat and drink and will spend the rest of today washing wine glasses and cleaning up after the dinner that ended here last night...or early this morning.

I really need to do some cardio, but I also really need to do 5 loads of laundry and straighten up!

Have a great day

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hello all!

This past week has been pretty good. I've been exercising every day and eating has been pretty good as well. This morning, I tried on a pair of jeans that haven't fit since I washed and dried them and they fit (although tight). I'm really trying to work on the "it is ok to be in the in between state of hungry and full".

April should be a good month, the flowers are blooming, the trees have leaves again and I'm hoping to hit the 240s.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #3  
Mel

Hellooooooo.....

Leg day here
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #4  
Kalamazoo Girl

S/C/G: 152.6/135.0/125.0

Height: 5'4"

Happy Monday All!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Granted, I know noone would have made me feel guilty about not hitting the gym this weekend one week after joining your chats. BUT, it was the inspiration from all of your welcomes that drove me to....YES.......GO TO THE GYM on Saturday! I know, I sound totally corny...but I really am appreciative! It was knowing that I would be lettin' down the team that got my dimply gluts in there! Now, of course....let's not get too jazzed. I only made it through 8 laps around the track sprintin' 'till my lungs died (NOT...I fast walked...c'mon...ME-sprint? Not unless someone ran in front of me with a double whopper and 10 large fries ). I also did 5 sets of leg curl, 5 sets of leg extension, 5 sets of machine shoulder press and 2 sets of floor crunches. So, not the best of training sessions....but that doesn't matter to me right now.

Mel: Get that Spring cleaning done and get to gettin' that cardio goin'! Did you have that progressive dinner this weekend? If so, how did it go? I've never done one-is there a different dish then @ each house? If that's not it....I wonder what the heck I'm thinking of? Hmm.... Anyway, I just saw you post leg day-go get 'um girl!

Nelie: Yeehaw on gettin' them jeans on! Who cares if they're tight...let's celebrate the small things and then we'll really party once those jeans are swimmin' on ya! Spring always rejuvenates me too-though we're supposed to get snow again in a few days here in Michigan.

Lydia: Oh my gosh...a fellow hypo. I sooo want to pick your brain on everything! Yes, I was just diagnosed 2 months ago and my levels warranted my dr. doubling the dose a week ago. I would say I do feel marginally better...but not good. How long did it take for you to start feeling better on the meds? How long before you noticed your metabolism really kicking back in? Did you have to have the dose changed a lot over the past two years? You gained weight too? Did you start losing it right away once the meds were regulated? I gained 25 pounds this second year and about 15 the year before...but this last year has been a nightmare. My body temp was dropping to between 96 and 97 degrees so I was cold all the time-my hair got really dry and crispy and just trashy, oh the list goes on and on. Yeah, I hear ya on the personality change. I became a real witch with a 'b' and start forgetting everything. What a mess. Wow. Thanks so much for your support. I'm really excited to hear how you got back in the swing of things. Have you found that eating certain foods or drinking anything made it worse or counteracted with the meds? Sorry....I've really overloaded ya so far. I should probably stop there! As for the bodybuilding: Before I started on that path I had gotten pretty heavy for my frame-I hit 165. I had a breakdown one night sitting in my apartment alone. I had gone through a fast food place and they gave me the wrong order. Instead of returning the food, or even saving some for later...I consumed the entire bag-it was TWO value meals. TWO. I ate the whole thing. That was a turning point in my life. I started doing aerobics, got addicted and joined a gym. Then, literally one year after starting to incorporate weights, I went to a local show and fell in love w/bodybuilding. I vowed to compete that following year. So, in 1999 I did my first show-followed that up with 3 more. The last show didn't go well and I lost interest in training all together. Then, well....when I started having the interest again....I had no energy. Now you know the rest of the story.... RU ASLEEP YET?

Hikerchick: Music school? How fabulous!!! So do you sing, play piano, anothe instrument, all of the above? Sorry if those are goofy questions. Do you teach also? That scale of yours must be possessed! lol Yeah, body fat-I've never really understood the charting of it. Even when I was 100 pounds and totally lean as heck before a show...I never got below like 19%. When I just joined my new gym a few months back I was tested and I'm right about 40% also. I'm like, c'mon! But this was the electro charge thingy or whatever...not as accurate as the floating in water test (which I've never had done so I can't properly describe it).

Well all, I will check back in later...have to run (ok, I will technically be driving) to the eye dr....something funky is poking my eye and I can't see anything in there. I think the cornea is scratched or something fun like that. Yippee....that means doc is going to flip my lid over and that is never a good time for me. BLECH! Melinda
mjoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #5  

Hi LWL,

Belated welcome to melinda!

Well, I had a great weekend, birthday party for myself & DS went really well, lots of guests, food, wine, and lovely spring weather. Suffice to say that foos wise the weekend & last week was not OK.
However, excercise wise it was great: biked to work 2 times so that is 3 hours of biking, went to power class 3 times, so that is 3 hours weightlifting, and I put in 1 hour yoga.

I felt great and energised, so now to keep it up!. As a start I biked to work today (1.5 hours) and went to powerclass this evening. I will not be able to do so for the rest of the week, so I'll have to improvise on that.

It's great to hear about all of you, keeps me motivated that I'm not the only one on the planet in this particular boat.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Gosh, I guess the gorgeous weather has everyone doing more outside and less inside! Good for us, but bad for the boards.

I'm keeping on with c25k, finished week 1 and will need to do week 2 tonite. Have gone new bra shopping and all that, got the shuffle bought and loaded, so i can listen to the podcasts. Spending alot of time outdoors with spring sports kicking in - at least 4/5 times a week between practices and then games also.

Took dd outside yesterday for some additional work on her soccer skills, that her coach advised us to do. She has 5 lb weighted soft danskin balls - about the size of a small medicine ball. So she's been doing overhead throws with them, 30, then she suggested some monkey bars, she did 12 times across without resting, and then 30 more ball throws. Then we threw the soccer ball the same way and she was like - Mom! Woah!! What a difference. And thus, we have converted another strong little woman into the glorious ways of weight training. My work here is done!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi.

Not warm here, Fran. Great job on your introducing your daughter to the joys of fitness!

Rabbit - you're sounding like you feel better. Good work on getting your exercise in while you can. And Happy Birthday too!!

Mel - cheesecake?

Had a busy weekend, including a good long cardio workout on Sat. Also had company for dinner Sat night, and did pretty well foodwise.

TOnight is the gym for a shorter cardio and some UB work, then home to pay bills!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #8  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals, wow, it's April already!

Belated welcome Melinda - I'm a displaced Michigander, originally from Port Huron, then more lately Holland and Albion. Been here in NY for 6 years now. I MISS THE LAKES!

I managed to pick up some kind of stomach flu bug this weekend - was sick all day Sunday, and still not feeling so well today. Skipped this morning's workout, but plan to get back in the gym tomorrow am. I'm pretty bad at handling this sort of thing, since I rarely, if ever, get sick

Busy week at work, so I'm going to try hard to keep things on track!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #9  
Kalamazoo Girl

S/C/G: 152.6/135.0/125.0

Height: 5'4"

Hello All! One more day of Springlike weather before the snow moves back in....so I'm celebratin' with the dancin' carrot! Yeehaw!

Cindy: Believe it or not, you are the first person with any ties to MI that I've met on 3FC! Fabulous-especially since I have of course heard of all the locations you mentioned...since a lot of times you'll run into someone and they'll say they're from a remote place in the UP or something. What took you to New York? Family? Job transfer? Do you still have family and/or friends in Michigan? Thanks for the welcome!

WaterRat: Do you break up your upper body work outs (i.e. tris/bis, shoulders/back, etc). or do you do all upper together?

Hrbabe: Kudos to not only helping your daughter make the connection between weights and sports, but in just connecting with your family that way. I think that's really great.

Unfortunately, I crashed @ 7pm last night and didn't have the energy to do much. I'm really hoping that as the meds get regulated and my energy returns, I can at least throw in some squats, band work, Katami system work out...SOMETHING at home for even 20 minutes. I have a back room full of equipment and about 20 dvds of various exercise disciplines...so there really is no shortage of variation....just........need........energy....... .. For now, I'll settle for some java.

Have a mahvelous day everyone!!! Melinda
mjoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Hi all,

Melinda, yes I teach (or have in the past I have been SAHMing for the past 3 years) just came back from a band job interview. I am a little nervous.

Well I am catching up on just about everything will pop back later. But its good to be back.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm still having trouble doing anything on one leg. Do I need a chiropractor, a broomstick or more practice?

respectfully yours .. the klutz
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi all!

I decided to measure myself this morning and i was blown away when an inch from my upper arms and upper thighs went missing. Usually those are the places for me to lose last. I guess I won't be too disappointed at my waist measurement not budging

I've been exercising every day for a week which is really a small miracle for me. I've never done that before. To top it off, I've exercised twice a day on most days. I know its only been a week but I am feeling pretty good about it. Considering 2 weeks ago I was totally off of the exercise wagon. Even better is DH has started exercising again. Although he does some stretches/exercises every night, he hasn't been doing cardio. I am proud of him but I am even more proud that it was me that started us back on the exercise trend.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #13  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello all! Still feeling a little under the weather, so no workout this am. Need to really watch my eating this week because of the lack of working out.

Melinda - I moved here for a job. ALL my friends and family are still in MI! However, I've met someone here and am getting married, so I'm building a new circle here. The wedding will be in Pt. Huron, though.

Nelie - congrats on the tape measurements! I hear ya about the arms, so that must be a thrill!

Rabbit - I've been meaning to ask - what is Power class?

Back to the grindstone...
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #14