Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #1  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Exclamation Easter Weekend Anxiety

(I posted this on the 20 something's area also just as a heads up for those of you who check both) I am admitting now that I have an OCD side.

So I've been thinking about going home for Easter weekend. Originally I wasn't going to go. I am really focused on losing this weight and I liked the idea of not returning home until I do. Plus I could stick to my gym schedule that way and not be persuaded to eat more food as I do at home.

But, then my housemate (who is from my hometown) informs me that she will driving home for that weekend and it is a cheap and perfect way for me to see my family. I love my family and want to see them definitely. But, I'm having a lot of anxiety about it.

a) I have no access to the gym when I am home. That means 3 full days of not going to the gym. That freaks me out.

b) I do not have my own healthy food. I'm forced to rely on other people's pantries and tastes and although I can minimize the damage by getting fruits and veggies, it just is never the same.

I know that it is possible to minimize the damage, but the fact that I'm basically not working out and eating less healthy food (not to mention Easter dinner complete with tons of food and dessert) is really stressing me out.

My family so far has never understood the physical anxiety I feel after not working out for a few days because none of them have set foot in a gym. I have tried to explain it to them but it seems to fall on deaf ears. And then I know I will have to explain myself each time I make a different choice for food or don't have dessert. I feel somewhat like a failure for eating my way up to this weight (although my father has never said that, being perfect in his eyes has always been important to me). So for me to have to continually tell my family that I dont want what they are having or need to work out, it is just hard. It makes me different and shows that I am admitting I failed before and now have to correct it.

I dont know if I am explaining this properly since I am at work quickly typing. Does anyone else feel this much anxiety over seeing their family? It seems ridiculous. I know I am very routine oriented though and have never been great at plan changes, or things like that. How do you get over this?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's a three day holiday weekend - which your life is going to be full of. Fun trips, work trips, family trips. Look at this as an opportunity to practice "real life."

I don't understand why you are limited to other people's pantries. Do they not have refrigerators and stoves and microwaves or grocery stores in your home town? Stock up. Except for Easter dinner, make your own meals or at least contribute dishes to the family table that YOU want. From crudites with hummus to munch on before dinner and healthy oatmeal for breakfast to a glorious salad that you can fill up on at dinner time. I do this all the time when I travel/go home. My health/weight is very important to me and people that love me have to realize that it is a priority - I always share though

You don't have to only exercise in the gym. You can walk or run. There might be nearby gyms where you can buy a day pass. You can also put a fun aerobic DVD in the player.

Don't be overwhelmed and "I can't I can't" without thinking of all the options.

I also remind myself that 3 days did not make me a heavy person, years of constant bad choices and lack of exercise made me a heavy person. If all your good planning goes awry, just make the best choices possible for 3 days, enjoy the heck out of your family and get right on track when you get back to your place. I used to have a very difficult time getting out of routine, but I have been maintaining for over 2 years now and stuff like this HAPPENS. Real life is messy and complicated and things sometimes go off plan. I am still maintaining at my goal weight, no matter how many "family" weekends I've had
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #3  

I can understand your worries, but there is no need to fret. Why not get up early in the morning and go for a nice run? If it's too cold out why not bring some exercise videos (if you don't have any at home you can rent them from the library or video store).

Asking your family to go out for a long walk after dinner is a great way to burn some calories, avoid deserts, and spend some time with your loved ones.

As for the food, that's another easy fix. I'm sure your friend wouldn't mind stopping for a moment at a local store for you to buy some staples for your weekend. Salad mix, yogurt, ff cottage cheese, frozen low cal meals, whatever it is that you use in your everyday meals you can bring with you to your family's house. I think you are creating more drama than you need to. It's all about planning... Good luck and have a happy Easter dear!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #4  
No description available.

Bring your running shoes. There are alternatives to exercising besides the gym. Glory had great suggestions for food ideas. Portion control is the most important thing.

Life does not happen in a vacuum. Lifestyle changes must transcend habits and routines.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #5  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I was going to echo everyone on here but my internet spazzed out on me so I'm late.

Totally suggest going for walks/jogs outside. Personally, I think a gym is stuffy and fresh air does the mind and body wonders.

Control your portions. That will be an easy way to compromise. Nobody thinks you're starving and you get to have a taste without going overboard.

When people comment, learn to change the topic. Smile and switch to the weather. This applies to whatever the comment is. They'll catch on quick that your eating is none of their business. Plus, you get to talk to them.

Not anything to be worried about. You can do damage control.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #6  

I agree with everyone above. Life is life - it's going to be full of occasions where conditions won't be perfect for weight loss, but part of this process is learning to navigate in less than perfect conditions.

Bring your running shoes, and walk/run every day - you can set the pace and still work yourself as hard as if you were at a gym. Heck, you can even do push ups/sit ups in your room, or climb up and down the stairs for 15 minutes before everyone else is awake if that's what works for you! As far as no one understanding - try to work on not worrying about whether they understand or not. Does it really matter? You need to do what works for you.

Foodwise, as long as you're being conscious of what you choose to eat, you should be OK even if you can't/don't want to look after some of your own food. Just be mindful, watch your portions, and take control of what you can (drink water instead of soda or alcohol, don't add extra butter or sour cream or whatever to dishes, skip dessert if the meal was richer than you would like). If you're worried about being hungry between meals, then pack along some low calorie snacks that you like.....and again, let go of the worry about what people would think.

I do have to say, though - and I may be wildly off-base here, because I don't know your family! - that I doubt your father is disappointed in you because you have 15 pounds to lose. Believe me, I understand that 15 pounds can feel the same to some as 50 (but I'll tell ya', it took me a while to get there, LOL!).....but maybe the reason they "don't get it" is because they don't think you should even be worrying about your weight? Maybe it has less to do with them never having set foot in a gym, and more with them not understanding your thoughts that you NEED to? Odds are, you're perfect just as you are in their eyes - try not to think that they're being negative towards your efforts, but maybe just a little perplexed or unclear as to why you feel that you're too heavy.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #7  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the other replies; three days off your exact plan won't compromise your entire life. It won't undo or negate all the hard work you've done. Maybe it's good to make concessions to accomodate seeing your family. Maybe your well being includes needing that kind of nurturing, like; I mean being around family. Or maybe there are other reasons for your reluctance to go home. Family alone can be stressful.
Maybe I should quit with the coffee today.
Anyways; I hope it all works out for you!
Tam
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #8  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the tips. I will definitely get some groceries before I arrive (fruits and veggies, yogurt, etc) and will bring my workout clothes to get some activity - it wont be as tough as my regular workouts but it definitely is better than nothing. I do use fit day but unfortunately, there is no access to the internet where I'm staying. I'll just have to load up on veggies!

Thanks again! All your insight is appreciated.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #9  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Just another thought -- you could also bring along a jump rope in case the weather gets bad or doing a dvd doesn't fit into your day. Ten minutes a few times a day is a great way to boost your metabolism. I know how you feel about disrupting your routine. My kids are off from the Monday b/4 Easter till the Tues. after Easter. Yikes!! Will strength train at night and try to get some cardio done in differents forms, if possible. If not, hey it's only a week (for you, 3 days). Life happens; just do the best you can!! (You're lucky you'll get to go back to school and leave any Easter candy behind! )

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote