Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #1  

Default lose weight, gain endurance

Hello,
I need suggestions on the best way to accomodate my diet to help me lose weight and then increase my endurance. I currently weight just under 260lbs. I have been following the atkins, with cheating by eating more veggies and little bit of whole grains for fiber and just lost 10 lbs in a short period without exercise. But I am so busy right now due to college and so many things in life that it seems that everytime I get a routine something gets in the way. Also I have an irrational fear of walking and running in public because I am fat.(weird eh?) so what would be a simple effective way to help me lose weight and regain my confidence so that I can start participating instead of always being on the bleechers of life.
bilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #2  

and while im asking for suggestions...Does anyone have any suggestions of a fun and effective exercise. part of the reason I fall too is because its impossible to find an exercise that really fun to me.
Thankyou for all you responses.
bilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Have you heard of the Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) series? Lots of chickies here SWEAR by them, and I've done a few myself...they are basically "walks" of a specified number of miles, but done like an aerobics routine. They are easy to follow, relatively adaptable to any fitness level, and really gets the cardio going which is great for fat loss and for increasing endurance. Its also kind of fun!

Other fun things I like to do: Dance Dance Revolution, roller-skating, and hiking which I love to do. Sometimes i just put on music and dance like a fool - it all gets the heartrate up! Or, if you really just don't like exercising, work the art of distraction! Buy yourself a rebounder/mini trampoline, turn on the TV or a movie, and bounce away, happily distracted from the exercise part by your favorite show.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

And the best advice I can offer regarding things getting in the way of your exercise is to NOT LET THEM. Everyone is busy. Everyone struggles with interruptions coming up. Normally I work out after work - today my boss scheduled a meeting for 7pm, so that ain't happening...so I worked out on my lunch. On the days when I donate blood, I can't exercise afterward without getting dizzy...so I get up and run in the morning. You can almost always find a way to fit it in, even if its just in a few 15 minute bouts whenever you have a chance. Even now, less than a month from my wedding and having just gotten a major promotion, i still am hitting 5-6x a week with my cardio and 1-2x per week with my strength training. You have to make it a priority.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150

Height: 4'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
And the best advice I can offer regarding things getting in the way of your exercise is to NOT LET THEM. Everyone is busy. Everyone struggles with interruptions coming up. Normally I work out after work - today my boss scheduled a meeting for 7pm, so that ain't happening...so I worked out on my lunch. On the days when I donate blood, I can't exercise afterward without getting dizzy...so I get up and run in the morning. You can almost always find a way to fit it in, even if its just in a few 15 minute bouts whenever you have a chance. Even now, less than a month from my wedding and having just gotten a major promotion, i still am hitting 5-6x a week with my cardio and 1-2x per week with my strength training. You have to make it a priority.
Great advice! I can benefit from this.
detroitmami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

WATP was my first thought as well. I also get bored easily with exercise, but I swear by these videos and own quite a collection of them now. You can do it at any time in the privacy of your own home. They take no coordination yet are a great workout.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #7  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Madalinn took the words right out of my fingers! I started off doing the WATP's videos & DVD's. I started with the 1 mile and worked my way up until they got too easy, and now I do different step Aerobic routines and other things. I still do WATP's when I need an easy day...not that they are easy for everyone, they just are for me. I'm not ready for public exercise either, other than walking, riding my bike or lap swimming. I am not joining an actual GYM until I am a lot closer to where I wanna be. For my High impact, sweat my butt off and suffer(LOL) work-out's, I'll stick to the privacy of my living room, hehe!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote