Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Set Point ... starting line

Ya know how we say "eat less and move more" which sends everyone into a tizzy of knowing just what is less? what is more?

I was flipping through a book of Bob Green's in the library yesterday and found something he'd said to be very enlightening.

As far as increasing Oprah's activity, he had to find her set point. Set point. Think about that ...
She did two shows a day, a bunch of other stuff and could walk a mile in 18 minutes.
That was her set point. All that accounted for nothing. It was her base-line and was keeping her at her current weight.
In order for her to do more ... he simple asked her to jog instead of walk.
It was more.
Nothing fancy, just more.

If that wasn't clear enough, here's my example. I used to think "Active? Do folks realise how busy nurses are? Nurses with children at home and houses to keep? I don't need extra activity, I'm plenty active already."
Nope, that was my set point ... my baseline ... from where I had to 'do more'.

Does anyone else find this notion enlightening? noteworthy? thought provoking?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Wow, that is enlightening. Something I need to look into more and figure out what is "more" for me. Thanks!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #3  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

I think this is very interesting, and I guess I've always agreed with it on some level. That's why I don't count my walk to and from work every day into my exercise. Because it's just part of my day, and has been long before I started this weight-loss journey. It makes sense.
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150

Height: 4'11

Agreed. Definently something to think about.
detroitmami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Oooooh Susan you're so right

How much more can a girl do though?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #6  

It's definitely thought provoking but I've not got any time to fit any more into.

I walk now instead of getting the bus but so far that doesn't seem to be enough. I work afternoons and spend the mornings dashing around trying to cram everything else into my day. By the evening I'm worn out. Not sure how much more I can do.

Regarding my walk to work I certainly can't do an "Oprah" and jog. I work on a reception and I like to arrive there looking reasonable
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #7  

Oh dear, the sweaty reception lady!
My friend started taking a little longer route to work. That might make a bit of difference.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I feel that "set points" are "plateaus" ... Once you reach one set point you have to change up your routine, workout, or eating plan ... Years ago my "set point" was doing my stationary bike for a half hour/day, when I stopped losing weight I started weight training. Now when I reach a set point/plateau I intensify my workouts by doing hills,lifting heavier or doing anything that's different that my normal routine...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #9  

That's what my friend found ... so she just started looking for a little longer way to work. I believe she now walks on weekends too.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 AM   #10  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I feel that "set points" are "plateaus" ... Once you reach one set point you have to change up your routine, workout, or eating plan ... Years ago my "set point" was doing my stationary bike for a half hour/day, when I stopped losing weight I started weight training. Now when I reach a set point/plateau I intensify my workouts by doing hills,lifting heavier or doing anything that's different that my normal routine...
That was my response too. After a certain time at a "set point" your body does adjust and expect whatever level you've been doing. When does this end though. What happens when your set point is expects the 1 1/2 hours of exercise added in? At some point you really cannot do more. That is a scary thought.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #11  

Well I think there's the intensity thing .... building muscle for calorie consumption thing .... maintainence ....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:02 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyGirl View Post
That was my response too. After a certain time at a "set point" your body does adjust and expect whatever level you've been doing. When does this end though. What happens when your set point is expects the 1 1/2 hours of exercise added in? At some point you really cannot do more. That is a scary thought.
It is a scary thought and it isn't. After 22+ years of working out, as Susan said, you have to work with the intensity and the variety of your workouts. Variety, intensity and playing with calories are really key, that's what I do and it works...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #13  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

My question is this; once you've lost all your weight and are just trying to maintain, wouldn't a set point be ok? If it's working for you, and you aren't gaining weight(fat), it seems to be that at a certain point in your life, a set point would be perfectly fine. I could be wrong though, the last time I "maintained" I was in my early 20's, LOL!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #14  

I think the trick then would be to have enough variety to keep it interesting. Today I enjoyed my combination walk/jog but one day next week ... I probably won't.

This would be a good time to reference Ann Fletcher's Thin for Life and some of the stickies in the Maintainer's forum.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It does make sense and reminds me of the "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."

On the scary thought, I think that's where weight lifting is so awesome. It's the only way to rachet back uP your metabolism so that you don't have to keep doing more (cardio) and eating less. I think it's soley responsible for my shape to keep changing even though my weigh hasn't and I quit the working out when I was injured and sick; the w/l I had done before kept my motor humming even tho I was doing nothing, and my body kept changing even tho I was doing nothing. It's like the propellar that keeps turning long after the engine has been shut off.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote