Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/274/200

Height: 5-7

Default Why has my weight loss plateaued?

any experts on this?
i'm not even 10% of my goal yet.
I excercise 5-6 days per week
Eating habits have changed yet my weight is not shedding like I expected.
I'm just a little depressed about this but am not giving up.

It just sucks when I get on the scale and see that my weight hasn't changed.

I really don't have time in the mornings or the evenings to measure myslef.

I just expected a lot more given that I'm into overdrive on losing weight.

Thank you!
slenderapproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #2  
LLV

It happens to all of us, sweetie

Plateaus are a perfectly normal occurrence in the weight loss process. Your body knows what it's doing, so let it do it. I hit so many plateaus it wasn't funny.

Another thought, however, if you're not keeping track of calories it's possible you could still be eating too many. It also depends on how long this plateau is. How long has it been since your weight has changed? It's not considered a "true" weight loss plateau until you've been stuck for at least 2-3 weeks. Some of us get stuck for a couple of months or longer. Like me, I've been at this same weight for months. MONTHS. So I'm finally beginning to accept the fact that my body is happy where it's at and I'm pretty much done with my weight loss. This is where my body wants to settle. So right now I'm just trying to maintain and make sure I don't start going up on the scale.

I really doubt I'll see 130 unless I drastically reduce my calories and I only eat 1200 calories a day as it is.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #3  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

As much as we would like to plan, weight-loss (in inches or pounds) is usually not a linear process. I, too, have plateaued for quite a while before dropping another 2 pounds this past week. So just keep up your healthy habits and everything else will, eventually, fall into place.

But you did make your March mini-goal ~ congrats! (However, looking at your upcoming goals -- 10-15 pounds a month seem a bit extreme, most here wouldn't advise dropping more than 2 pounds a week.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

plateuas happen. But i echo LLV...first make sure you aren't taking in too much calories points or whatever system you are doing. If you are exercising a lot..it is easy to be fooled that you could eat much more. I like calorie counting. I find that i can easily figure out the calories...and then i also figure out how much i burn when exercising. Also, becareful with using machine calorie counts (ie elliptical, treadmill). On average they run about 15-20% high. So here's what i suggest...first and foremost...relax...if you are eating healthy, it will happen. Also shoot for about a 1-1.5 lb loss a week. More than 2lbs a week is just asking for trouble. Make sure you aren't taking in too few calories or too many...there is a fine line..if you start starving your body while working out you will go into starvation mode. But also i highly recommend measuring yourself. Fat weighs less than muscle. So you may be actually building a lot of muscle but not seeing a wt loss....yet getting a measurement loss. Just relax. Stay focused...cont to exercise..but journal ALL food you eat in a day. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/274/200

Height: 5-7

just had a good workout thanks for the advice
i am thinking about lowering my mini goals
also have started looking into increasing the # of meals from 2 to 4 and lessening the caloric intake
i am doing lowcarb/gi modified by not actually measuring the # of carbs i eat per day.
slenderapproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

slender, it looks like you have kind of an idea of a program, but not an actual program. You really do need to track what you eat in some way--either points (Weight Watchers), or grams, or portions, or calories. Otherwise there is no way to tell you what might be going on.

How about listing what you eat in a typical day? That might help us make some suggestions.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I am post-menopause and I still get plateaus. Go figure. I don't take any hormone supplementation, either.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Well hang on a second... Your March 22 goal was to reach 279, and you've reached it. Congratulations, I'd say that's excellent going! But then your April 22 goal is to be 265. That is expecting a 14 pound weight loss in 31 days. I think that's way to fast to be either doable or healthy. I wonder if your expectations are just a bit too high. Rapid weight loss is rarely sustained. Slower weight loss (ie. 1-2 pounds/week) requires more patience, but is more sustainable, so the weight is more likely to stay off.

Your "join date" here is March 07, but I don't think you specify when you begain your healthy lifestyle changes, or how long you've been at this plateau. Often, after an inital relatively rapid loss, things slow down a bit. But remember, you've lost almost 20 pounds girl, that's awesome. Be patient and keep at it, as long as calories in is less than calories out, the weight will come off.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote