Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #1  
LLV

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - Asparagus

http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

I don't particularly care for asparagus myself.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just discover asparagus about 6 weeks ago and boy am I glad I did. I absolutely LOVE it. I roasted it with fresh chopped garlic, drizzled with a bit of olive oil. The best part about it is, my whole family loves it as well. They were practically fighting over the last stalk last night. I love it, it is low in calories and high in so many good things, like folate and fiber.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

I like asparagus and it just so happens to be on sale at the grocery store. I'm going to have to make sure I get some this week. I steam it, roast it or use it in sitr fry.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Asparagus was on sale last week so I bought some and roasted it in the oven. It was really good. I've always liked asparagus.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes - I love asparagus! Roasted, just with a little cooking spray, salt, and pepper. I also like it in a stirfry, or in veggie-filled pasta dishes. It goes great in a frittata as well! I sometimes steam it or stir fry it, then throw it on top of a salad.

Its probably my favorite veggie. I loooooooove asparagus.

However, I have several family members who like the flavor of asparagus, but don't like the...um...aftereffects that show up in the bathroom. Apparently about half of people have this trait (the ability to smell the asparagus aftereffects) - its genetic! This has turned off some of my family members to asparagus altogether.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

Ahhh, yes my hubby mentioned that ummm, "trait" the other day to me after eating some of the lovely green spears. I had heard about it previously as well, but I am apparently lacking that trait. Aww, shucks.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here! This "trait" you are referring to is something I'm farmiliar with. In fact coffee does the same thing to me. I used to think something was wrong with me. Lol.

I still drink coffee and eat asparagus though. Asparagas is too yummy to let that stop me from eating it. I like it roasted or grilled on the bbq.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #8  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

That certain "trait" happens to me as well, but I don't let it keep me from eating it. No one will notice that "trait" except for me, so I don't see a problem with it. I love to eat asparagus in every way that I can! I especially like a frozen veggie blend they have at Walmart called Asparagus Stir-Fry. I'm so glad that I've experienced asparagus in it's natural state, rather than the canned version I was introduced to as a child. Canned asparagus gives asparagus a bad name, much like spinach. It turns into a strange, salty, unhealthy olive green colored mush. Gross.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:49 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love asparagus and recently discovered that it has only 6 calories per oz. That's just a little higher than the calories in lettuce or cucumbers! Who knew! There's definitely going to be a lot of asparagus in my future. I'm even thinking of trying to grow it in my garden.

I eat it raw in salads, stir-fried, and roasted with a little olive oil and sea salt. I have a recipe for asparagus and shrimp in a lemon sauce over pasta that I've been meaning to try for a long time. I also love it in egg dishes.

And I agree with LindseyLou...canned asparagus is scary!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

I don't understand canned vegetables. I'm sorry, I just don't. I don't know why somebody would put a perfectly delicious, delectable food, cook it to death, add tons of sodium to it and reduce it to an unrecognizable, practically inedible product.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Growing asparagus sounded like a fun idea since I'm thinking about what to plant in the garden this year. I just did some research on how to grow it and I've decided I'll just buy it at the market. It sounds like it takes too much time and room for me to plant it in my little garden.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote