Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 AM   #1  

Default red potatoes vs white potatoes

Are all potatoes the same or are some better than others?

I thought a potato was a complete food...that it was packed with nutrition. And then I read that red potatoes are better than white (yellow/brown skinned???), and white shouldn't be eaten. What is true?
weigh2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Red, new, waxy, or boiling potatoes (yukon gold I think are also in this category) are supposed to have less starch and fewer calories than all-purpose and baking potatoes. Some low carb diets forbid all "white" potatoes but allows yams and sweet potatoes. Even though some potatoes have colored flesh (like yukon gold and even blue and red varieties) they would still be considered a "white" potato I think to low carbers.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I always thought that "white" potatoes referred to the color of the flesh, not the skin, and was used to distinguish them from "sweet" potatoes.

I don't think it's an important point from a weight loss perspective. One shouldn't eat too many "white" potatoes regardless of skin color because of the high starch. Depends on your program.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/168/140

If you like to eat potatoes then eat them, Just everything needs to be eaten in moderation. As for me Im on weightwatchers and potatoes point wise are high to me so I dont eat them very often.
midnitemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitemeanie View Post
If you like to eat potatoes then eat them, Just everything needs to be eaten in moderation. As for me Im on weightwatchers and potatoes point wise are high to me so I dont eat them very often.
Ditto on this. All things in moderation.

Potatoes are a perfectly healthy food, although some people avoid them because of different reasons.

If you like potatoes then eat them!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

From time to time, I will eat white or red potatoes. I like them both but use white for "baking" and red for mashed, etc.

But lately - I'd rather have A SWEET POTATO! - they are THE BEST! - as far as nutrients, calories, etc, you cannot beat sweet potatoes!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
From time to time, I will eat white or red potatoes. I like them both but use white for "baking" and red for mashed, etc.

But lately - I'd rather have A SWEET POTATO! - they are THE BEST! - as far as nutrients, calories, etc, you cannot beat sweet potatoes!
I eat LOTS of sweet potatoes, I absolutely love them.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #8  

It's just that some plans don't want you to eat potatoes, for sure not the first few weeks.
weigh2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

weigh2much - well find a plan that works for you...a plan needs to work for you in order to succeed in weight loss. There are not right or wrongs to what works for weight loss...some do low/no carb plans...others like myself either calorie count or do weight watcher point system..since we dont want to feel limited. Find a plan that works for you...weight loss will only work if you find something you like and can stick to it. So if you want some potatoes...DON"T do a no carb plan..otherwise you will go nuts...but i will tell you, you still have to back off on you carbs some to really lose weight..but you don't have to eliminate it totally.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote