Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #1  

Default Does everyone get on the scale??

I find if I monitor every single pound I start obsessing over numbers. I didin't weigh when I started, but I know I have lost about 25lbs in the last 5 months. I mostly go by my clothes (which are getting too big). Any thoughts about not weighing??
good luck
mylifeswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Oh yeah, I weigh. I think your way of monitoring your weight loss is healthier, though. I have a tendency to want to hop on the scale every day, but I know that it's bad, because lack of immediate progress frustrates me. So I'm trying to only weigh once a week. It's hard, though. I've debated getting one of those digital scales, but have opted not to (so far), because I think that would lead me to obsessing over the number. Because really, in the grand scheme of my more or less 150 pound body, what the heck significance does 0.3 pounds have, anyway?
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #3  

Default Every day

I hate to admit it but every day for the past 6 years i have been on the scale. I guess you could say its an addiction. I hate it, but when I am seeing results it keeps me motivated. I use it as a way to say you ate to much or you did not. It keeps me in check I guess.
Juliepudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #4  

Default My life's work too!

Hi, well, all I know is that when I do stop getting on the scale....I start to go up because I stop being mindful of what I am eating. On the other hand I share your concern about getting obsessive about the numbers. I have decided that I will get down to my desired weight (again!) by weighing myself weekly and then I will weigh myself daily.
My task at that point will not be to challenge myself to go lower, (which I have done in the past and is getting into the obsessive territory). But it will be to maintain a healthy weight which I can only do if I keep focussed on what I eat and how much I exercise. This is definitely what I know that I personally have to do and I don't know if it works for others. I have never just been able to 'lose' weight. Its always a focussed disciplined activity for me where I face facts and put out an effort to get weight off.
I say this with some degree of experience since I have been struggling to keep my weight down and maintain a healthy good weight most of my adult life. and I am always within 10-15 pounds of that point......I think that the scales are one useful tool to help me do this...as well as writing down what I eat on a daily basis and continually being aware of what I am putting in my mouth and why!

Thanks for listening!
suerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I am the same as suerose if I do not weight at least once a week the weight will creep back on. I also messure so if the scale isn't moving my inches are dropping. I would stay the weight I am if my inches woukld keep dropping.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #6  

Default I have lost almost 50 pounds too!

I also wanted to say that at one point in my late teens I was about 190 pounds and so I have battled a significant weight challenge in my lifetime. When I had 3 babies I worked hard to get weight off every time. Since my early 20's, I have struggled with the 10-15 pounds that never seem to want to go away.... each time I lost weight seriously, the scale was part of it...although I have to admit I have a love/hate relationship with it!
suerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #7  
One Day at a Time

Height: 5' 4"

I have to agree that I am more mindful of my weight if I weigh. And the thing is, if I don't weigh, the more days that go by, the less likely I am to weigh. I know in the back of my mind that my weight is creeping up, but I can fool myself into thinking it is not if I don't actually check. SO, it seems like for the past few years, I am totally blown away when I go in for my annual doctor's appointment, because my weight has steadily risen. Crazy as it sounds, that has made me dread to go in for my check up!

I just weighed for the first time in a year this morning and was VERY shocked to see that I had gained almost ten pounds, even though I started exercising every week day a year ago!!! I obviously started eating more then as well.

Now that I have braved the scale, I am adamant that I will not let more than a week go by without weighing again. When I was 10 years younger, I was 30 lbs lighter, and I weighed every day. I did not let it upset me, I just used it as a tool to adjust what I was doing if any drastic changes occurred. I hope to get back to that!
houseelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well I went for almost 15 years without stepping on the scale. I ballooned up to 287 lbs, so ummm, yeah that didn't work out to well for me. Now granted, I didn't NEED a scale to tell me that I was morbidly obese. There were lots of other clues. The plan is to step on the scale every single morning of my life - forever. It helps to keep me accountable and keep me in check. It is a daily reminder of what's going on with my body. IMO the more info you have the better. Of course it is not the only way I measure my success. There is of course the clothes fitting differently and me feeling better physically and of course just KNOWING that I stay on plan. The scale is something I should have never feared. IT was never the problem. The problem was ME and my eating habits.

Mylifeswork, just curious - how do you know you've lost 25 lbs.? I just couldn't judge without a scale. I know it's my own body and all, but nevertheless........ And if you find this is working for you, well then - GREAT.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #9  
One Day at a Time

Height: 5' 4"

I must say, Rockin Robin, you nailed it! I also pledge today to not let a day go by without checking my weight. Not to give myself stress, but to always be mindful of the truth.

106 lbs lost! You GO girl!
houseelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #10  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default I'm a Scale Gal!

I gotta go with the Scale Gals -Janie, Julie, Suerose, canadianmom,and Robin! As Robin said, I, too, shunned my scale for probably over twenty years! Sure my clothes kept "getting smaller", but I would just tell myself that it was time for some new things! When I got the new clothes (in a LARGER SIZE, of course!), they fit or were a bit loose. Somehow I was able to convince myself that because my new clothes FIT or were a bit BIG, it was like an invitation to KEEP EATING THE WAY I HAD BEEN EATING! Honestly, when I look back on those years I think I must have had temporary BRAIN DYSFUNCTION or something!

I weigh myself every morning just like I brush my teeth and exercise every morning. I am NEVER going to let 100 pounds sneak up on me like they did the last time!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:44 PM   #11  
LLV

I used to weigh myself every day, then I went to once or twice a week and now I'm down to about once or twice a month.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #12  

I don't weigh.

But I do regularly wear or at least try on (not going to wear jeans in August) clothes that don't stretch.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

I weigh myself everyday, I too went without weighing myself and still thought I was 140....was I suprised. I wore stretch pants and clothes and they streched with me.....wow I couldn't believe it.
Robin, I was wondering with losing over 100 pounds, have you had any problem with excess skin? Sorry if that is TMI to ask?
Thanks
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i find that the only way i can judge my success is through weight loss. I weight once a week on the same day in the same manner. Every wed...i get up first thing in the am, pee and then step on the scale nakid. I find if i don't weigh every week then i don't know my success/faliures...but one thing i'd advise against...weighing every day. I know a lot of ppl on this forum do it..but i find that you're weight flutuates daily and that you should just do it once a week. I have seen so many ppl get so upset if they gained one pound in a 24 hr period. You're wt will naturally fluctuate...that's why its better to do it once a week. Otherwise you may drive yourself insane.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:30 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
i find that the only way i can judge my success is through weight loss. I weight once a week on the same day in the same manner. Every wed...i get up first thing in the am, pee and then step on the scale nakid. I find if i don't weigh every week then i don't know my success/faliures...but one thing i'd advise against...weighing every day. I know a lot of ppl on this forum do it..but i find that you're weight flutuates daily and that you should just do it once a week. I have seen so many ppl get so upset if they gained one pound in a 24 hr period. You're wt will naturally fluctuate...that's why its better to do it once a week. Otherwise you may drive yourself insane.
if you avoid getting emotionally attached to the number there are actually several studies that show daily weighers lose more weight and maintain it longer

its all about what works for you though

I personally fluctuate SO much that I prefer daily weighings so I dont miss my low day which is the only one I pay attention to.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote