Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205

Question *NEWBIE* Had Surgery and Plateau

First off I am new here....so please go easy on me...lol
Alright I had the surgery in July 2004...within the first year I lost 100lbs and I was so happy. Since then I haven't been able to lose anymore. My doctors aren't giving me any answers and I am so beyond frustrated. Has anyone else ran into this problem and what have they done to get over the hump. For me I weighted 320lbs and now am at 205lbs and granted I am grateful for that I would still like to lose a lot more. It’s frustrating when people look at you and say in a sympathetic voice "oh you had the gastric bypass" and really they are thinking "where"??
Any advice...I have been on WW for 2 months and was only able to lose 10lbs...so as of 2 months ago I was at 215lbs and now I am 205lbs. I have increased my exercise...you name it I have tried it.
Also, just a quick side note...I have a lot of weight in my stomach area that I can't lose and I know there is a surgery that is not a tummy tuck but similiar. Has anyone heard of this? And just for opinion sakes do you think that could be a lot of the reason I have reached a plateau?
Thanks All for any advice or opinions!!!

MonkeyBref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Just a note - your font is pretty hard to read but I was able to squint and read it

I just wanted to write a note of support. 10 lbs in 2 months is really good. I wish I could say the same for myself I haven't had WLS but from what I understand, in order to maintain your WLS loss and to lose even more, you will have to utilize a healthy restricted calorie diet as well as exercise for the rest of your life.

Don't be discouraged by a 10 lb loss, that is fantastic as well as your total weight loss.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205

Thanks everyone for the words of advice.
I knew I would always have to maintain a certain exercise and diet plan but never did I imagine this struggle at this point. I have met people who have it and look great and they are not doing anything special. I guess ultimately it comes down to the fact we are all built different and carry and manage our weight different.
I think the hardest part is the "apron" as it is called (which I hate the word and the thought of it). I don't think I will ever truly lose that portion of the fat on my body by diet and exercise but when I inquired with my Doctor (Kaiser Dr) he advised me Kaiser won't cover the panniculectomy surgery because it is cosmetic. I truly believe with that surgery alone I would see a huge weight loss...Has anyone else inquired about the panniculectomy surgery or had it for that matter? Was it considered cosmetic?
MonkeyBref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #4  
loflo

S/C/G: 276/263/150

Height: 5 ft. 7 in.

I am new here, and only a week post op (gastric bypass). MonkeyBref, check with your benefits department at Kaiser re the panniculectomy, I know many Kaiser patients that have been approved - and you also have a right to appeal an initial denial. I've a few folks that had their surgery done with Kaiser tell me they almost routinely approve the panniculectomy following WLS because of the health issues associated with it. Don't take your doctor's word as final. My insurance company does approve it, and I will definitely have it done someday. What insurance companies generally will not approve is an abdominoplasty - which is much more involved than the panniculectomy.

Congratulations everyone, I'll be glad when I'm a few months post op and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
loflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #5  

Hi! Im new as of today. I has gastric bypass last December. At first the weight just flys off then it slows down. I weighed 336 lbs and am now 198. I increased my walking to get things moving again and its working. I lost 4 lbs last week. I've heard of a tummytuck but not a stomach surgery. Is it the same thing? My tummy is really saggy and so are my arms and inner thighs. Im hoping they will tighten up. Have a great day!
goatgirlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #6  

Don't be so hard on yourself. If you lose up to 75% of your excess weight, it's considered a great success. I too, struggle with losing more weight. I started at 300lbs and now weigh between 185 - 195lbs. I would like to be 150-160, but I understand our bodies have a mind of their own as well. Let's face it, I think most of us became so overweight because of our genetics. We did as much as we could to fight the good fight, but ultimately, our bodies have the last word! Even with gastric bypass, I will always have to watch what I eat to maintain. It's a sad fact, but true for many of us. Be positive and keep up the exercise, which I know is key, and eat as healthy as you can for your lifestyle. I know it's a hard to deal with, but unfortunately, we we're not given the "eat what you want and not gain" pass. I struggle with this everyday just like you. I have actually just joined weight watchers again - and I am not happy about it. 50k in surgery fees and I still have to go to weight watchers. Sucks, but at least I'm there to lose 20lbs, not 120 anymore.

Best of luck,
Brando
brando5111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #7  
WLS Diva & mommy!

S/C/G: 254/140/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBref View Post
I think the hardest part is the "apron" as it is called (which I hate the word and the thought of it). I don't think I will ever truly lose that portion of the fat on my body by diet and exercise but when I inquired with my Doctor (Kaiser Dr) he advised me Kaiser won't cover the panniculectomy surgery because it is cosmetic. I truly believe with that surgery alone I would see a huge weight loss...Has anyone else inquired about the panniculectomy surgery or had it for that matter? Was it considered cosmetic?
My friend has Kaiser...and is 4 years post op open RNY (not through Kaiser) and when she took her dad in (he's going for RNY now through Kaiser) she mentioned it to the nurse that she'd had it done. The nurse asked her if she was interested in a tummy tuck and that Kaiser was now automatically approving them for WLS patients. This was early last week. So they set her up with an appt with the surgeon for a consult last Friday (6/8) and she had surgery on 6/12. They removed 15 lbs of excess skin/tissue. So it might be worth checking out. Unless it's just the Kaiser in our area...but you would think that Kaiser is Kaiser. So if they are still doing this in 2 years when I'm ready for my tummy tuck (I want one more baby next year...then it's allll about the tummy tuck) I just might switch to Kaiser...get it done...and then switch back to my regular doc becuase I just don't have the money to pay for it.

Good luck!

Kristy
goddess819 is offline   Reply With Quote