Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 228/228/160

Height: 5'4

Default little black dress

So..my best friend is getting married in August, she has asked me to be a bridesmaid, which is an honour. The only thing that is holding me back is that she wants us to wear black "cocktail" dresses. Cool idea, yes, but I am far from thin enough to feel like I would even look good in one of these. I know I need to lose the weight...but every time I think about it I get sad and end up gaining weight back that I had lost...so I have gotten nowhere. I don;t know what is going to motivate me....
stephyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 130/130/125

Height: 5' 8"

okay, I have such a disasterous time shopping for dresses too, so here are some of my tips:

1. Start EARLY EARLY EARLY. Shop now. Not later, thinking you're going to lose lots of weight. Shop early and then get it tailored once you lose some weight.

2. Try the mall. Most people, including myself, HATE the mall. But it's great for finding staples like the LBD, because it's got a whole bunch of stores all in one, and chances are most will have at least a few LBD styles to choose from. Quantity is ideal.

3. Get it tailored. You'll look and feel so much better if the dress actually fits your body. Remember, it can take up to six weeks to tailor a dress so shop and plan ahead.
kelema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

I agree with everything kelema said!

Definately shop early! If the dress is too big by August its easy to take it in a size or two!

Also - take a friend with you when you go shopping! She will be able to tell you what styles are flattering.

I was just in a wedding in December and I had hoped to lose weight by it - but I didn't. But with the right undergarments (I love spanx!) and a flattering dress, along with pretty hair, nails and make-up, I felt beautiful.

PS Remember black is a very forgiving color
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hey stephy. I think instead of "thinking about it" you need to make a conscious decision to "Just do it". Change one thing. If you currently don't eat breakfast, try eating breakfast for a week. If you can, try and fit in a 30 minute walk every day for a week. Just do one small thing at a time, and get used to gradually changing for the healthier. I think the task can be overwhelming if you look at the big picture.

Make a small acheivable goal to start off with, like getting in your exercise, or cutting back on the candy bars for just one week, or even one day. Once you have a small success it will motivate you to be successful again and again.

And if you do slip up, and you will, then just get back to what you know is healthy.

Also, come back here often and post about your day.

2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #5  
Hot Mama Wannabe!

S/C/G: 210/207/135

Height: 5'4"

Just remember you can lose that weight girl, even if it goes slow keep your chin up and keep trucking along! Keep that little black dress in view while you work out daily and I bet you'll be shocked at how well you do by then. I have heard spanx are awesome with any type of clothing!
Mamato4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with what was said so far. You shouldn't not be in the wedding just because of your weight. When you go shopping take a friend (even if it isn't the bride) with you and that will be bluntly honest and tell you "ehhh no" or "wow".

I also like the suggestions of buying the dress now and keeping it out as a reminder. You can always get it altered later if you lose weight and it is too big. Ok, if necessary, you can buy another dress and attempt to sell the old one on ebay or at a consignment shop. It may sound silly but buying one now means better safe then sorry and not being able to find one later. Lane Bryant carries a black dress collection but another store you can check is Torrid. It's also prom time so you might try some stores like JC Penny.

Spanx are amazing. Wear it when you try on the dress so that you can see what the dress looks like with it. If I'm not wearing something that is too big on me I almost always wear spanx. (I've lost 95 pounds so it hides the loose skin and what I can the fat dents). I have a seperate top and bottom opposed to a one peice because then if my pants are too big on me but the top isn't an oversized t-shirt then I'm can only wear the top. I got mine and Fashion Bug, it looks/ feels exactly the same as the Lane Bryant one but cheapter (Since they are owned by the same company I think they might be from the same manufacture.)
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote