Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 03-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/259/180

Height: 5"7"

Default Swimwear... PLEASE HELP!

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, but have been reading and getting some great tips. I registered so I could post this question, because I am really getting desperate here.

I do not wear shorts, and haven't worn a swimsuit since I was 18. (I am nearing .. ahem... 40.) BUT I am going to Hawaii in a couple of weeks and I'm freaking out here. I need help. Here's my dilemma.

I plan to play in the water with my kids, both at the ocean and the resort swimming pool. I hate my legs. They are huge, and white as can be, covered in cellulite. I have looked at swimsuits with shorts, skirts, etc., but they aren't long enough. Am I the ONLY woman who wants to cover her legs? I know it seems contrary when it comes to swimsuits, but if it means I play in the water instead of sitting in a full-length dress idly watching, then can't someone make me happy??

I would love to find a pair of board shorts that fit me. Does anyone know of a company that sells women's board shorts (long type) in plus sizes? Then I could get a basic one-piece bathing suit to put under them. This was a last-minute booking, so I am nearly out of time and really stressing.

Does anyone have ANY tips (other than lose 50 pounds in the next 2 weeks)??

TIA
Bibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/259/175

Height: 5'7"

Lane Bryant has some long shorts- they are calling them Bermuda Shorts- go all the way to the knee. They aren't a swimsuit material, so not sure how comfy they will be until they dry out, but it might be an option.

Also, check out places that cater to "big and tall" men. They have truinks, and if the inner mesh bothers you, just cut it out and you have shorts

Have a great trip!
Luxorbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I can identify with those legs. What about those knee-ish or thigh-ish length leotards? I don't know what they are called because I'm fashion challenged but I have some...kind of like bike shorts without the padding in the butt. You could wear a swimsuit either over or under them, and you could get in the water and not have floppy cotton adhering to your legs in strange ways when wet.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #4  
breakfast rebel

p.s.
http://www.danskin.com/bottoms-plus.html
Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #5  

From justmysize.com:

Mesh shorts, should dry fast when they get wet.

Bike shorts, 9" inseam, $30. (They have $25 shorts that look the same but seem to be mostly cotton which wouldn't be the best choice for swimming.)

One piece, $57

Two pieces, $55

Two pieces (skirt), $57

Swim short, $30

Swim skirt, $35
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #6  

And from junonia.com:

Suit

Suit, comes in longer and shorter legs

Swim skirt

Swim shorts, with or without built-in undies, also other fabrics and colors.

More swim shorts, solids and prints

Also swim skirts

Also bike short type swim shorts, various colors

Also several skirted suits
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #7  

Thanks so much guys! I have seen those Junonia swimsuits and the ones at Just my size, but they are still too short, LOL. I am that hung up on it. However, I like the idea of the mesh shorts. I could try those.

Quesion: I have read only bad things on epinions about Junonia. I have never ordered from them, but there are things I see that I want. Any personal experiences, anyone?

THANK YOU!
Deb
Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/227/145

Height: 5'6''

I have ordered from Junonia and have been very happy with the purchases. I think that their prices are a little high though.
MNBlueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #9  
TRIATHLETE!!!!!

S/C/G: 274/255/130

Height: 5' 5"

This may be wildly unhelpful, but when my very large mother took up water aerobics, she decided to sew her own swimming costume, because she couldn't find anything long and large enough to suit her.

Another option is so-called "modest swimwear," which appears to be based on the bathing costumes of the U.S. pre-1920.

At least, that's what I remember -- I can't verify this, since the firewall at work seems to think there's something unseemly about those links, so I can't check them.

Hope you find something!
cinderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #10  

Modest swimwear is an interesting suggestion.

Just for sh*ts and giggles I decided to google "plus size board shorts." Is there any reason you haven't tried that, Bibbler? It's not a lot of effort to make for oneself for something one clearly feels is important.

Frankly, I'm a little bit annoyed at MYself that I spent time C&Ping images and sites for someone who it seems hasn't tried for HERself at all.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post

Frankly, I'm a little bit annoyed at MYself that I spent time C&Ping images and sites for someone who it seems hasn't tried for HERself at all.
I thought we were all here to help each other. Sometimes you just get overwhelmed and can't think of anything else to do. It is then that you call out for help. Or maybe Bibbler isn't internet savy (sorry Bibbler if you are). I think it is very sweet that Maria took the time to do this research.

Bibbler, you will find a solution. The mens swimtrunks sound like an idea. And I went to Hawaii last year. Believe me, you will "fit in" more than you think. Hawaii is a great place for plus sized women. Check out their Wal-Mart plus size deartments if there is one where you are vacationing. They are wonderful over there.
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #12  

Default Thanks and no thanks

Thank you everyone for your wonderful support and help. There were many good ideas, although sewing anything is waaaay out of the question, LOL. I can't sew on a button, much less sew myself a swim dress.

Now, Maria, thanks but no thanks for your incredibly rude comments. How do you know I hadn't googled plus size board shorts. Maybe I wasn't interested in paying $85 to have some sent to me that still might not fit. I had done hundreds of searches, but thought perhaps with the collective mind and (I thought) collective support here, I'd be tapped into something I hadn't thought of before. I am terribly hurt by your rudeness. Boy, you know how to send someone right back into lurk city, huh?

Now, I wanted to share with you all what I did find (and no, I'm not internet un-savvy... I have been online since 1994 and make my living with my online savvy, truth be told), but perhaps it's a moot point.

I do hope I fit in in Hawaii. There are many plus size women who say sc**w it and just do what they want and don't care. I WISH I could have that mindset, I really do. I have tried. But I obviously have some issues and I'm trying to deal with them. I live in a climate where it regularly is over 100 degrees in the summer yet I don't wear shorts. There are NO moms at my son's school who wear anything above a size 14, and I am NOT lying. I really feel like my kids are going to school with Angelina Jolie moms. It's hard for me here; I feel very isolated sometimes and I thought I could get some support here.

Anyway, the point is, I thank those of you who helped and *whatever* to those who thought I was being lazy.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240ish/240ish/160

Height: 5'2"

Again, didn't mean to step on any toes with the internet savvy comment. It was just a suggestion to Ms. Rude to keep her mind open about other people. Sounds like you might live where I just moved from (or somewhere similar). I just moved to St Louis from Phoenix. I know about it being 100+ degrees. I have the unfortunate (or maybe fortunate?) ability to see myself as a thinner person in the mirror. It's only when I see pictures that I am bowled over by my girth. I call it reverse anorexia. Anyway, I too was very anxious about the swim suits in Hawaii. I share your pain. And yes, there were the bikini clad knock outs. But there were so many more "normal" people. And I was having such a great time, I didn't care. Also, there is sooooo much to do there besides go to the beach. It was one of the best times of my life. Just hoping you don't psych yourself out of a grand trip worrying about the swim suit. I know it's very difficult. I really hope you have a wonderful trip
newFannie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #14  
breakfast rebel

Something to consider re: skirted swim suits or those top separate kind that are loose: they look great in all of those not-in-the-water photos. If you get in a hot tub with jets on, the loose part of the suit goes in an upward direction and forms a big air or water-filled blob and you are always trying to smooth or pull the fabric down. Sometimes just in non-jetted pool or ocean water this happens too. For these reasons (because I like to be in the water not on the periphery of it) I want to buy things that will remain next to my skin, regardless of how large in girth that skin might be! I've made the skirt/loose separate mistake so I speak from experience! Have a wonderful trip! I am envious!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #15  

hi bibbler : ) I just posted in the other thread regarding swimsuits. I think swim dresses are very flattering, comfortable, prettyyyy and oh it would be so perfect for hawaii! check out this site: www.swimsuitsforall.com. ONly thing is, I imagine it may be hard ordering that way without trying the suit on, plug in the word swimdress into your google search bar and it will reveal many sights. Jcpennies being of them. good luck and have a beautiful time! the website has a lot to chose from and you can get some ideas, some are tropical looking too. WIth a pretty swimdress and a hibiscus in your hair (i wore one in my hair every night, lol) ......: ) find something that you feel good in and by all means do enjoy yourself. As for the floating up factor, some are more hugging than others, also you can choose what to wear underneath. Hope you find the site helpful.
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote