Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #1  
Ready for a better life!

Default Balance

Hi all!
I have been using FitDay to track my intake and I love it. But the pie chart that shows the balance between carbs, fats and protein is always waaaayy too heavy on carbs. Can anyone point me in the direction of information as to what the proper balance of carb/fat/protein are? I would greatly appreciate any guidance. Thanks, Lisa
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

I shoot for 40/40/20. But that's my own preference. I lift weights and run so like to go even on protein and carbs, and I get funny about eating fat.

If you're a serious runner, you want more carbs. Heavy lifter, more protein. If you do neither, then I think FDA says 40/30/30 with the 40 being carbs.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #3  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

I eat around 50% from carbs but that includes veggies and whole grains so I don't see a problem with it. I think it's something you have ot play with...what keeps you full but within your caloric range.
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lisa -- what is "too many" carbs for you, and what are the "carby" foods you're eating? If they are healthy and you don't need to up your protein you may actually be fine! A good ratio really depends on your goals, as the others have indicated.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Don't worry about your carbs being high if you get the majority of your carbs from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. They are all very healthy for you. As for me, I try to keep my fats below 25% and let the carbs and protein fight it out for themselves!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #6  
Ready for a better life!

Thanks, everyone! I have been getting the majority of my carbs from grains and fruits and oatmeal, which I eat for my cholesterol. I've been keeping the fats at about 20% in the last few days. I'm finding the fats a lot easier to limit than the carbs. Heaven knows I love bread! What I'm really shooting for is sensible and healthy. Thanks again to all for the guidance!
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote