Old 03-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #1  

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Why can't I do this?

Ok, so I have been trying to loose this weight for about 2 years and can't seem keep up my momentum. I do good one week and then the next week or 2 for some reason I can't stop eating and ruin all the headway I have made. Between Thanksgiving and New Years I gained at least 10# and can't seem to get a handle on loosing it. I know what I need to do, I just feel like I have no will-power. I LOVE food. I love the taste, the feel, the smell. I HATE veggies, friut, pretty much anything that I should be eating. If something doesn't taste good to me, I don't want it. I have tried eating more fruit and veggies (along with my yummy food) and I just can't seem to stick with it. I also hate excersize.

I know that someone is going to say, "you either want it or you don't. Get off your back-side and excersize and eat right!" The silly thing is, I know that. I just can't seem to do what I need to do.

Anyway. Thanks for letting my vent about myself. Maybe just seeing it in writing will be what I need to get back on the tredmill.
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Do you have a fitday account? You really can eat whatever you want ... as long as you keep your calories lower. As for exercise ... more is fine ... you don't have to immediately begin training for a triathlon.

And come and join us in the Featherweights forum. You'll be happily surprised at how simple it is to stay the course if you have positive contact each day.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

That sounds tough. I can empathize, I really like food too. But I also like healthy food.

I absolutely believe that everyone can lose weight. The thing is, we have different ways of doing that - so each person needs to find what works for them. Some people say that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So exercise is not as vital to weight loss as the food choices we make (although it obviously has important health benefits beyond weight loss).

Is there anything involving movement that you like to do? Walk, swim, dance to the radio, garden, mow the lawn, skate, yoga, martial arts, strength training, window shopping? Anything at all.. because every little bit helps. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away from the store entrance than you would normally, go for a 5 minute walk - these are all commonly cited but they are true.

As for food - is there any fruit you do like? any vegetables? Perhaps throwing a banana in with some cereal? or simply choosing healthier alternatives within the food that you already eat?

These are just some suggestions. I just don't want you to give up - you can totally do this, I know you can. Good luck!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

My first goal would be to learn to love vegetables and fruit. Watch Good Eats on Food Network whenever you can. That man makes brussel sprouts taste good.

I don't like oatmeal very well, but I found with a banana it was delicious. All you have to do is learn to make food more palatable. But really... I can't imagine life without my steamed vegetables.

Good luck to you!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #5  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

I think the first thing might be eating in moderation. So rather than try and force yourself not to eat something, or eating something you don't want why not try moderation. If your calorie counting try and stay under whatever calories you're alloted for the day.

As for the exercise. Again try baby steps. I don't work out everyday. I try and set a minimum and a maximum number of days a week I need to exercise (and the min amount of minutes) . To stay motivated I do challenges and keep an exercise ticker. Even if you only do it for 10 min a stay. Just start somewhere....

I think the key to this is finding something you can do long term and be consistent. Never be afraid to experiment only thing that happens is you realize something isn't for you and you try something else.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #6  

Height: 5ft 4in

Thank you all for the advice!

I don't like oatmeal but I like the idea of having a banana with it! I went out and bought a weight belt that goes to 6# (every little bit helps). I live in MN so we still can't get outside much. I figure I can wear it while I am cleaning the house, playing with the kids or running up and down the stairs doing laundry (also on the tredmill)

Well, now I am excited to start over (again). Thanks again!!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote