UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #1  

Default Good Mid-Afternoon Snacks?

Hi

Hope someone can help. I find that about 4.00 onwards I get really hungry. I work on a reception so can't eat anything too messy. I've tried many cereal bars but to be honest the ones I've tried don't fill me up and I do wonder about the sugar content.

Any ideas please of an easy to eat, non-messy but filling food. I'm veggie too

I don't get to eat in the evening till the earliest 6.00 pm and although I've been in this job over a year, I still can't seem to last through till then without eating something. You'll see from my first post on here that I've increased my exercise over the last week, so I'm getting even more hungry about 4.00 than I normally did.

thanks.

Fi
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Welcome to 3FC!

I'm on a low GI diet so I tend to eat fruit or Onken strawberry lite yoghurt for snacks. Different kinds of dried fruits are nice, as are almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds but you have to exercise lots of self control over portion size because of the fat content.

Someone told me that those Ryvita mini snacks are nice - I haven't tried them yet but I have tried the Ryvita Goodness bars and they are lovely and very satisfying considering they are only 60 to 65 cals each. Just to balance it so that it doesn't look like I'm working for Ryvita.... I think their crispbreads are disgusting.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #3  

Thanks for the welcome Sarah Ann

I've not tried the Ryvita goodness bars. Think I'd been put off by the crispbreads too Though the sesame seed ones are alright but are too messy for work.

I do love nuts and seeds but some of the smaller ones are not so easy to eat on a reception. I do like the sesame seed bars that some of the health shops sell too.

thanks for the info about Ryvita, I'm going to Tescos tomorrow so will go and get some to try

Fi
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #4  

hi, ryvita minis are gorgeous, especially the salt and vinegar (drools). as a crispaholic i find these and the snack a jacks go a little way towards satisfying these cravings. i buy the mini pots of hummous and dip them in . trouble is there just doesnt seem enough in the packet for me. mad
madaboutbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #5  

What about a cup a soup? They are filling. If you can eat a yogurt the shape lasting satisfaction ones are really nice.
cherrycupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #6  

How about a low fat yoghurt and banana....I have the same porblem and find that helps
sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #7  

Thanks for your suggestions

Have been shopping this morning and bought some Ryvita minis to try plus some yoghurts and bananas.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #8  
Here we go again...

Height: 5"2

I love nuts and seeds but find it difficult to limit myself. However I've recently discovered The Food Doctor seed mixes - they do them in little packets in Sainsbury's (in the "Free From" aisle I think). I like the omega mix which is sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried soya beans and pine nuts - one pack is 150 calories and they take a lot longer to eat than the equivalent in nuts or whatever. I guess the ryvita minis etc are probably lower in calories per packet but the seeds are healthier. They're only 49p a packet aswell
Serena A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #9  

Mmmm the seed mix sounds yummy. Must visit Sainsbury's soon
Old 03-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #10  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

This thread had ryvita minis written all over it but I see that one's been well covered I'm also very keen on kettles crispy bakes - easier to find in tescos and waitrose.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I like Triscuits with Laughing cow Lite cheese. 6 crackers + 1 cheese wedge is about 155 calories and holds me over until dinner time.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote