Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #1  
banned

Default Surgery update, part 1

Well, today was my long-awaited appointment with the surgeon since I was cleared by my insurance back in January.

Everything is a 'go' for the surgery. I have to call the secretary tomorrow for an operating date since she was gone for the day *growl,* and then of course there is the anesthesia appointment along with the blood work, chest X-ray and EKG the week before surgery. *Whew...* will be glad when this is over...lol. Then it will be all uphill from here!

I should know more details tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am going to enjoy these last days of life as I know it while I am able.
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/253/130

Good luck !! I went through all the pre-op tests last Wed. and tomorrow is the big day for me!!
Dizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

hmmm - enjoying these last days of life as you know it? gotta tell you - life often GETS BETTER after the surgery. there are, of course, people who have terrible problems, but let's hope for the best.

sounds like you're nervous, perhaps even afraid! are you SURE you're ready for this??
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #4  
banned

After 18 months of testing and battles, I had better be ready! LOL. These last days as I know it are before my permanent lifestyle changes once the band is inserted are to take place. The only thing now is I have to stop my glucosomine/chondroitin supplement 10 days before surgery; I had no idea why at first before I did some reading on it this morning, then it was "Aha, so that is why!" Turns out, the supplement is similar in structure to the blood-thinning drug heparin. Yikes.

Right now, I'm waiting for the office to call me back with a date; meanwhile, just catching up on some last-minute reading in case I missed anything. I like to keep up on all the latest stuff.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #5  
banned

Default Surgery update, part 2

Surgery is scheduled for April 12. They'll be calling me within the next few weeks as to what time to report and to what department, yada yada. I have to see the anesthesiologist and of course do the pre-op blood work, EKG and chest X-ray the week before. I'll be making a day of it all. LOL. In between, I also have to get a physical from my regular doctor. The best thing about it all is after 18 months, it's almost here--finally! I guess persistence actually does pay off.

I have to start cutting back on portions even more starting this week to prepare for surgery. That shouldn't be too difficult, with spring coming and me already cutting out things like pork and red meat, plus I don't usually bother with breakfast with exception of a protein shake with my medicine and vitamins. If I want a food deterrent, all I have to do is open a can of the cats' food at their feeding time. The smell of that alone is gross and enough to turn anyone off of any kind of food. LOL. How they can eat that stuff is anyone's guess, but whatever.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #6  
banned

Default Surgery update, part 3

Just a new update:

I got a call from the surgeon's office yesterday; there is a possibility that my surgery date will be moved up to March 22. I am hoping to learn something later today for sure; otherwise, I can presume things are still a go for April 12.

I'm pulling for the earlier date, though; the sooner this is completed, the sooner I can be healed and on my way!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/147/135

Height: 5'7''

OH, how exciting! You must be going crazy waiting for that call! I hope you get the earlier date! Good luck
Shrinky Dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #8  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinky Dink View Post
OH, how exciting! You must be going crazy waiting for that call! I hope you get the earlier date! Good luck
It's official: I am going in on March 22 for sure. I had to move my pre-op stuff back to later this week, but it's going to be worth it to get the surgery done earlier than planned! Who would have thought something like this would happen?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #9  
banned

My PCP cleared me for surgery, so all is set to go now. Everything came back normal except my potassium is a bit low--nothing a few bananas, some potato skins (yum), and a glass of orange juice won't cure.

My cholesterol is 181 (HDL is 52 and LDL is 102, also good)! And my heart must be getting stronger too (they think the condition may be reversing itself!), as my ejection fraction has jumped up another 15 points from 50 percent (in 2004) to near normal at 65 percent presently! Kind of a pleasant change from just 10 years ago when it was barely 35 percent (when I was initially diagnosed with idiopathic cardiomyopathy) ! Yippee!

So yes, no problems getting cleared--and this guy doesn't do clearances easily.

A little under 72 hours to go till the day!