Old 03-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Default Trader Joe's

Hi all !!

I am making my first big trip to Trader Joe's later today and wanted to see what you all think are the "must have's" from the store !!

Thanks in advance
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #2  

Oooh, I love Trader Joe's! You're in for a real treat! I could spend all day in there and never get bored. My must have's are:

Natural peanut butter
Fage greek yogurt
Steel Cut Oats
Frozen organic spinach
Frozen strawberries
Frozen mixed berries
Frozen tri-color pepper mix

They also have a great selection of bulk nuts.
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

They have a prepared salad that I live--reduced calorie southwest salad (with dressing and a fork--perfect for taking to work). 170 calories! Lettuce, corn, peppers, black beans and a yummy dressing.

I adore their raspberry dressing for salads (exact copy of Annie's but less $$) and only 30 cals per T!
their fruit is so fresh and less $$ than regular grocers
a second vote for the fage yogurt (I get 0% fat and mix with frozen mashed bananas)

don't be tempted by their chocolate covered this and that! Oh, very good, but so high in calories!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi there,
I love TJ's and will just second the recommendations already made. However, I do have a TJ question of my own...

I absolutely love their spinach tofu egg rolls (in frozen aisle). About 6 weeks ago, I didn't see any and just left, thinking that needed to stock. Next trip, they were still out, so I asked. A guy ran to the back for me to check and when he came back said that it was a vender issue and they expected to get them in within the week. Well... you can see where this is going... next trip, they were still out, so I asked again. This time I was told it was a vender issue and they would no longer be carrying them.

Arghh... I was so upset! I eat them pretty regularly for lunch. Sometimes I eat one for dinner with a big salad. They are sooo good.

Any of you know if your TJ still carries these? I'm wondering if anyone else has an equivalent?

Anyway, happy shopping. Trader Joe's has lots of great stuff at low prices. I just wish they would get those egg rolls back!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #5  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

I'm sure this is too late for the shopping trip but...I love the pork potstickers! They have veggie ones which I wasn't crazy about and chicken too but I like the pork ones the best. One serving is 8 pot stickers, 300 calories. I usually plop two or three in my veggie soup which makes it filing and delicious

I stocked up earlier but my friend went a few weeks ago and they said they were having vendor issues with the potsticker people too. I still have some so I haven't checked since then but she was pretty upset about it.
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/132-Hit Goal on 12/21/06

Thanks for all of your tips and ideas. We picked up most of these items as well as some steel cut oats that I am going to mix up in a pancake recipe this morning.

I also bought the BetterNButter peanut butter and I am surprisingly happy at the taste. No, it is not exactly like regular PB, but for 1/2 the calories, I am willing to compromise.

The TJ's that I went to seemed pretty small -- much smaller than a regular grocery store. Is that typical for them or is it just this location? I have another one that's about 45 minutes away and maybe they are larger?
chrissyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

as a rule all of the ones I have been to are rather small, they are not a supermarket after all,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I'm starting to keep more healthy frozen foods onhand. They have lots of frozen seafood that's easy to prepare. Last night we cooked up a "seafood trio" of shrimp, scallops, and squid. Yummy! And a couple of weeks ago I cooked a frozen salmon steak.

I also love their basmati brown rice.

And their own brand of jasmine green tea!

I just saw the frozen organic spinach today but didn't buy any -- can anyone tell me more about it?

I swear, if I browse carefully, I see more great things every time I go to Trader Joe's!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Ours is very small too. I went today and it was absolutely PACKED. Still no tofu spinach egg rolls :-(
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Yes, one of the tough things about TJs is that just when you get hooked on something, they no longer stock it. Has happened to me a few times. Oh well, there's always something new and interesting to try in its place.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #11  
love my new muscles!

S/C/G: 231/182/165

Height: 5'7

I too love Trader Joe's. Ours is als small and about 20-25 minutes away which means I only go about every three months...I am so busy and its a chore to take a toddler in there and the aisle are so small. I always say I am gooing to go more often but I never make it. My very favorite item is also the pork potstickers...I hope they still have them. I also like their chips with flax seeds....I cant seem to find them anywhere else. There vegetables are good to. I havent gotten any thing there that I havent liked and so much that I have loved.
Luv_Losing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I really like their Whole Wheat English muffins...I think they have 4 grams of fiber and are around 160 calories. They are so yummy with peanut btter and banan slices...keeps me full all morning!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Chocolate Mini Merengue cookies!!!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #14  

Ours are all small as well, I think it's supposed to be that way.

One of my favorites was pre-cooked brown rice in little serving-size packets, in the frozen food section. Just microwave to heat! I love that convenience.
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Once upon a time I worked for TJ's and it's an unfortuate truth that things do get "discontinued" a lot. A lot of stuff does come back later on though (I think the vendors try to make TJ's happy.) I'd keep look for the tofu rolls, but it may take a while.

I love thier brand of Greek-style yogurt. It's yummy like the Fage, but much less in price.

I found a new grain mixture there on the last trip. It's a mixture of orzo, quinoa, baby garbonzos, and Isreali couscous. It was great! It cooks up quick. I added boiled shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes (no oil kind), garlic, and oilves. It was yummy!

I agree about the whole wheat english muffins too. My husband gets very sad when we run out of those.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote